So I covered my favorite song (rock)

johndowis

I wanted to wait until I felt I was good enough at recording to do this song justice, because I was afraid of ruining it for myself if I couldn't do it right. I think I did pretty good with it, definitely my personal best, but there's sure to be things I change over the next few days. Take a listen and let me know what you guys think, be as critical as you want :)

Mayonaise by The Smashing Pumpkins

Clean guitars sound very out of tune. Not sure if that is on purpose or not. I am listening on crap speakers right now which sometimes gives one a better perspective. The vocals sound pretty good but don't seem to have a consistant volume. They also kind of stand out in the mix. As a matter of fact, the vocals almost seem to really be pumping a little hot.

Which clean guitars? If you are talking about the really quiet ones in the middle, that was my attempt to make something similar to his 12-string at that part. I played the chords on the left channel, then played slightly different chords one octave up on the right (with a capo). It is supposed to be different chords than the heavy part.

The vocals I noticed earlier tonight, I'll fix that. I think you are probably talking about the end. I'm going from loud screaming to falsetto in the same phrase, and quite often. It's hard to record well, even with the high compression I am using. But I'll keep working at it :)

Thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot :)

Back