Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So Far We're So Far Away

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    But anyway, I'm looking more for the overall sound of classic Bond movie themes
    Horns. Especially muted trumpets and other "sultry" sounding instruments. (A saxophone would probably do in a pinch.)

Probably bury the drums (at least kick and snare) even more. Think ride-heavy jazz drumming. Maybe even brushes instead of sticks.

I think I fundamentally don't get what you're going for here. I can see how you're in the right decade, with a jangly 60s rock vibe. But they're so different. It'd be like if you said "I'm going for that 90s war epic feel, like Saving Private Ryan" and then it sounded like the Spice Girls. Both are good. Both are the same decade, but they're so dissimilar.

The only part of this that I could really picture in a classic bond theme is the desert-rock-style fuzzy lead. That'd be a good baseline for a bond theme.

So to brutally pick it apart, if I were to try to turn this into a bond theme...
    Drums - turn the kick and snare down. Replace most of the hats with jazzy rides.
    Lead guitar - more reverb, but it's pretty close. (I just pulled up The Man With the Golden Gun theme, and you're really close to that one)
    rhythm guitar - replace them with strings and brass
    bass - a little less definition maybe. Possibly go fretless if you can
    Vox - get it closer to the center of your range. Every note needs to be sung with POWER. No straining, no nasallyness.

I don't know how helpful this is? Again, I think you did a good job of a TripM song. It's catchy and energetic and fun, but I can't picture this being a classic bond theme without basically a complete overhaul.
    Last edited by VomitHatSteve; 07-10-2018 at 11:45. Reason: Replace the *hats* with rides, not the hate.

Thanks
    I think VHS has probably nailed most of the points. As it stands I would not have picked this as being anything to do with a Bond theme. For me the groove is too bouncy and upbeat, and unless you change that I can't see Bond emerging from the shadows, regardless of what you do with the rest of it. As a Trip tune/collab, composition-wise it's really good. I like your guitar sounds and the vocal is great

Thanks
    Alright I'm going to give up on being a Bond thing. But I will try to do a few things on VHS's list, re-do the reverb (make it wetter), and repost in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Sounds good. For Bond you'd have to branch out from just the rock 3 piece kind of sound though wouldn't you? I can feel the Bond idea in there though. I see what you went for.
    I really...really...REALLY have no idea what I'm talking about...AT ALL.

Thanks
    Sounds good to me. I'm not really a Bond guy, so can't really comment on that, I just kind of pictured a video in my mind showing Bond clips while this was playing and I guess it worked, 'cuz it didn't feel out-of-place to me.

Seemed like, mainly in the beginning, the rhythm guitars were stepping on the vocal a bit, but it seemed to get better as the song played on. Listened twice to mix #2. I wanted a little more crisp-ness on the overall top end I think, but might not fit the genre. These are just small nits, 'cuz overall it sounds pretty damn good.

Nice job on the vocals and harmonies, sounds great. Bass guitar sounded a little dark, but again, probably fitting for this style.
    Pro Tools 12.7 - Superior Drummer 2.0 - Sound Forge Pro 10

Thanks
    Monkey - thanks. Yeah I think you get what I was going for. Bond-y guitar riff, secret-agent lyrics. That sort of thing.

Johnny - appreciate the thoughts. I cut the high end on the overheads, snare, and hats to remove the crispness. As you implied, it was to try to fit the genre.

Thanks
    Listening mix 2. Bottom is tighter. I like the width of your guitars. It leaves a nice open space for the vocal at stereo center. I struggle a bit to hear your lyrics easily. If it were me, I'd bump the lead vocal up by a dB or two. But I'm an extremist when it comes to intelligibility (gold standard IMO = every syllable of every word of every line CLEARLY intelligible on the first listen). Guitar tones sound good. Nice song. Altogether solid work.

Just curious: Most of all of your songs that I've heard have you singing up pretty high in your range. Is that a deliberate preference?

Thanks
    I like it. I like it. I really like it

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Listening mix 2... I struggle a bit to hear your lyrics easily. If it were me, I'd bump the lead vocal up by a dB or two...
    ^ +1

I really like that lead guitar riff up the center. Made me think of Secret Agent Man - Johnny Rivers. Maybe try yours a little cleaner with some reverb so it hints at that a bit.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Did some reading of comments and it's interesting you want to make it sound like a bond theme : ). Well i think you want a retro sound in that case, smaller sounds and more reverb. Guitars sound very good but they have a modern forward sound compared to what i would think of a James Bond sound. Imagine the original surf bond riff and how much reverb is on that, you might want to try making your single note playing sound more like that. Good drum track, a few minor errors (guitar solo section) i heard but they sounded well recorded...again i would experiment with ambience and maybe rolling off some high end of the kit in general for a retro sound. Though i guess bond music isnt all retro-they did have duran duran and bands like that, so i may be on a wrong track completely. I like the vocal track and the melody-a few times i thought the vocals were masked a bit, a mass consumption bond type song would never have masked vocals. I like the backup vocals i might try to utilize either a backup vocal or some other sound during the solo singing sections to bolster things a bit. Cool tune and if not for the bond ideas in my head i would have just said-good song, nice guitar and drum sounds with a good vocal and melody. So there i said it.
    "Hey man, am I drivin ok?" "You're stopped man"

Thanks
    Robus - thank you for the second listen. I think the lyrics might be a bit tough to hear in the first verse because the crunch guitars are on both sides. I may lower the gutiars in the first verse. I think it gets easier in the second and third verses because the guitar on the right side isn't as thick. I will often pick a key that pushes my range. I don't think I pick the key so that my range is pushed, I pick the key that I think sounds the best. Maybe those two are the same things. I don't know. But my intention is finding the sound I think is best, not to push my range.

spantini - I think you're right on the vocals. Thanks.

Strato - I think you've probably come closest to getting what I'm trying to do - blend old style recording sounds (e.g., heavy reverb, secret-agent-man-riff, reduced top end) with more modern sounds.

Thread Information