So Far Away

Taking a new Road

I listened to the above song and found it very good, especially the quiet build thru the center of the song. Entertaining concept, well put together! LOTS of energy.
So, to avoid further confusion...........What is the Title?
VERY well done BTW:D

Thanks for the music.

The intro is two measures too long in my opinion.

Woah! The drums are really roomy sounding which is not a good thing here. The electric guitar is boxy and dull sounding and the tom hits are booming way out on my system.

The song sounds alright but there are quite a few technical issues.

Nice job. I can hardly hear the bass and the cymbals are really in my face, the drummer seems to be suffering from "I want to heard-itis". The vocals are back down in the mix especially in the chorus. A few timing issues, done live I assume? I like the tune though, has potential.

Thanks all for the listen...I appreciate it.

jake-owa ===> I redid the mix according to what you said...please have another listen if you would like.

I mixed this on ATH-M40fs's and got it as close as I could to what was invisioned in my head for this song. I do not have a pair of good studio monitors in my arsenal. (lacking as it is)...so that could be a huge reason for the drums. Because of time, we did the drums in one (1) take, and before that he only played the song 3 times...He was being a little lazy that day but other than that I think he did a good job considering the circumstances.

I think Im going to have to redo the bass.

The guitars are boxy yes...but they are going to have to do.

The tom hits are down...

sorry for the clicks...stupid computers.

Sorry for the long post...please try the song again cause I redid it a little.

Thanks, Sam
Elroy Productions (www.lynnweb.com)

projectelroy said:
.....I mixed this on ATH-M40fs's and got it as close as I could to what was invisioned in my head for this song. I do not have a pair of good studio monitors in my arsenal.

If you mix on headphones, you have to audition the song on other systems (like in your car), and then make adjustments, then listen on a boombox,make adjustments, etc. It's a pain but it can be done. That's how I had to do it till I got monitors. And it still never translated to other systems very well. All those problems disappeared when I bought monitors and saved me a lot of time and frustration. It's worth it! Check out the Yorkville YSM-1......only $230 (last year) and worth every penny!

Twist

Yeah I tried it on several other systems...crappy and nice...and i thought I had it all worked out...apparently not. Oh well, ears are hard to train.

Sam

Nice vox.

Could be a little tighter. Especially on the drums and bass.

Nice song. Certain drums are a little loud for me... mostly cymbals.

Sounds pretty good on my system. Not many complaints mix-wise. Very clean.

Piltdown Man

I have near no kick and the cymbals are way to hot in the mix...I don't know if this is the new version or what.

Toms are still booming in the room.

Time spent on getting the drum sound right is always time well spent. If you can't listen to the drums and bass alone and groove out the song needs help imo.

Decent writing though, worth working on.

Is anyone besides jake-owa having a problem with the things that he says the mix has? Just wondering, cause no one has said anything else about the mix. Im not doubting his critique but Im not going to rip my mix apart based on one persons critique.

Thanks
Sam

Two....

the intro cymbal on the right is too loud and overall too far over in the mix....the snare is too far left..........the toms and kick are not there man...overall dull on my KRKs.....the rhythmn guit is too far left too...the vox seems OK...but there are varying level issues...
compression might help that and a Hi eq boost....bass is way too much in your face...............the right side seems to need some body......what monitors are you using?

admit it...you are a bass player...aren't cha?

Just messin' with ya man.... :D
it's a good tune...it held my interest for sure...

Take good care,
Joe

Last edited:
bass needs some upper 400 mids to give it some definition, scoop it about 3 to 4 db from about 120 to 180, and shelve it with a knee around 60 to get the mud out. The kick needs a shot of 120 to 180 to bring it out . The snare sounds too loose and dark for all the thickness in the bass and guitars , I`d make it crack more to stand out . The cymbals and hats are a bit too strong. After this you could bring the guitars up more and the vocals. I think this would let the song cruise a bit more instead of seeming to wait on the snare to give it momentum. Good tune.

The posts since jake's are on the money, in my opinion. He said what I didn't have time to say. I'd give them some credence, if I were you. Still a nice song, though. A few minor adjustments needed is all.

You just have to expect some people here to be honest and tell you exactly what they think, even if it's a bit hypercritical (which I don't think jake's post was, by the way). I learned that the hard way :-) , but it's making me a better musician/self-producer. Too much smoke blown up one's ass can lead to colon cancer. Did you know that?

Just kidding. My point is that I concur with Jake and most of what was said after that.

Am I rambling? I believe I am.

Piltdown Man

Back