Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slower Rock/Alternative song

Thanks

Slower Rock/Alternative song

Sign in to disable this ad
    Im doing some work for my friends band. Their music is way outside of the Genre (metal) that I normally record. I decided that it couldn't hurt to take on something totally different. I am hoping that this turns out to be a positive thing.
    This is my initial attempt at getting some levels and eq going. The vocals are done but I am trying to get a good instrumental mix going before I bring in the vocals.
    Some things I already think need work are
    -the hiss in the intro needs to be removed
    -the guitars could maybe use some limiting to make them a little more consistent volume wise.
    -I think the bass may need alot of work.
    -Im not really sure about the low end of the mix, or possibly the low mids? I listened on a few house cd players, sounded fine. In the car with a sub was ok but at work on a bigger stereo Pa system it sounded like ass. (they may have had screwy eq settings).
    So any advice on the bottom end or anything else mix wise will be appreciated. I know it still needs alot of work. This is just the beginning. Thanks for you time guys.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=3299&alid=-1
    "Amelia"

Thanks
    ok, I`ll tell ya what I hear on this end. I really like what you did with the kit, nice kick and snare, near the end the snare seems to gain some level especially on the flams. The toms don`t have quite enough juice. The overheads are bit strong over the kit to me. The bass sounded good, I could hear a little bit of the string winding and that kept it clearer. The rythym guitar sounds a little humpy in the mids and low mids, sorta treads in there where the bass and kick are working, maybe a touch strong. the compressor may smooth it down some. The solo git tone sounded fine to me. This got a good start. Not a guru like you but it`s what I hear...
    " Miwk Kowz "

K: securelock

Thanks
    Toki-thanks for the fast response. The initial drum tracking was sort of a nightmare. The drummer was nervous, he didn't want to adjust his kit so I could get the mics in better places and to top everything off, he had probably the biggest snare I have ever seen on a kit. It had to have been 14" by 12-14" deep. I don't really have the tracks to do top and bottom mics on the snare and I don't have a phase reversal switch on my mixer (i know, I know, just switch a mic cable around, im lazy lol) so I ended up micing the shell. Needless to say, I got loads of bleed in places that I didn't intend to. Bringing the overheads down some may work, i had them up a bit to cover up all the gating I have going on.
    Guru? I hope thats sarcasm lol, i don't really know what the hell im doing. I just turn knobs and roll around in my comfy chair while drinking loads of Dr. Pepper.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Wireneck
    Guru? I hope thats sarcasm lol, i don't really know what the hell im doing. I just turn knobs and roll around in my comfy chair while drinking loads of Dr. Pepper.
    But you do it well, I pick up something from your work every time
    " Miwk Kowz "

K: securelock

Thanks
    Hey man. . .

I think I know which song this is even without vox. . .

-I like the guitar tones. The are definately some out of tune spots once in a while. Not really a big deal for a demo. I think some mud (say below 150hz) on the guitars could be cleaned up a bit and that would let the bass come through better. Can you get your hands on a parametric EQ? If not maybe just rolloff the low EQ a bit on your board. Oh yeah, I think the high mids in the guitars could come out a bit.

-Don't be afraid to cut some of the guitars out, if you feel it helps the arrangement of the song.

-I would let the leadish lines in the guitar come out a bit more

-The kick sounds a little thuddy. I think maybe scoop the mids a bit more. Really roomy sounding drums. You might consider adding some verb to some guitar tracks to make them feel like they are in the same space.

-Overall I think the mix could have a little more high end to it. Crispier cymbals and high mids of the guitars could definately be raised to make the mix a bit brighter.

Beez
    My mic collection sucks now, but at least I have a girlfreind.

Thanks
    "But you do it well, I pick up something from your work every time"

Thanks man I appreciate the kind words. I attempt to do what I do well. It does not always work out that way.

Beezoboy-thanks for the comments man I will take them all into consideration.

"The are definately some out of tune spots once in a while"

Yep lol, there are alot of timing issues and drum flubs going on as well. I got the best performance/tuning that I could out of them.

I am struggling a bit with the guitars. Dave has a very dark tone to begin with and then he rolls the volume back on his guitar to lose some gain and it makes things even darker.

"Don't be afraid to cut some of the guitars out, if you feel it helps the arrangement of the song. "

I tried to offer some production type ideas about the arrangements but they weren't having any of it. Im pretty much taking soley an engineering standpoint on this project.

"I would let the leadish lines in the guitar come out a bit more"
    Im hoping limiting/compression will keep them up front a bit more. As you guessed alot of the "Lead" is slightly out of tune or just downright sloppy lol. So I didn't think it needed to be too out front.

Reverb on the guitars will definantly help. Thanks for the input man. I really appreciate the ideas.

Thanks
    I think this sounds great, one of your best sounding production-wise. Drums sound very authentic, love the guitar tones as well. Bass sounds fine to me as well. I'd love to hear the final mix.

Thanks
    FattMusiek- thanks for the listen/compliments. I should have an updated mix uploaded tonight or tomorrow. I tried some of the suggestions everyone made, and they seem to help.

Thanks
    Here is an updated clip of the mix
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=3299&alid=-1
    "Amelia2"

-I cut some of the lows in the guitars as well as tried to brighten them up some. I also limited them a little bit.

-I messed with the kick a bit but im not sure if i like it any better.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Not bad!

Good work. My only big complaint is the kick drum,
    it's too loud, my subwoofer was justa poppin like crazy!
    Other than that it's pretty good.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2710/singles

If you want check out "worthless" Thanks.

Thread Information