Slow grind tune...need guidance

I dig it man...very funky. Reminds me of something Santana might do. Nice sounds all around. Everything seems to fit within it's own sonic hole....very neat. Bass is sweet.
Nice tune man...
Ed

Wow...that was quick...Thanks Dogman.
Believe it or not, the hardest part was recording the tambourine...it seems so innocent, but it gave me a lot of grief trying to keep it in time.
I'll probably change some of the lyrics around too.

This is pretty cool and a lot of fun. Reminds me of Eric Burdon/Santana/etc.

I really cant find anything to nitpick, and I'm trying. :p

OK I found one: I aint totally nuts about the bass sound, its a lil sterile and clean compared to the rest. The rest sounds "live" and the bass doesnt.

Excellent vox, I wouldnt change a thing and love the toooooowwwwwwwn drawn out words, and the harmony is excellent as well. Quality job and a lot of fun, impressive.

Thanks David. :D I actually spent most of my time with the bass...although I like the tone of the bass, it was difficult getting it to sit well. Maybe I'll take another stab at it. Maybe more punch and break-up. Thanks again for the feedback.

Ok...just redid the bass line and lowered the cymbals...After 6 bass takes, I have a blister on my right index finger :(

I ran the Ibanez bass thru a PSA-1 this time...sounds much better.

Sweet man. I probably like it better than the first mix, but can't say exactly why. Just a funky tune. How about the vocals? Recording chain, and how did you process them? They sit well, in my opinion. I can't tell if they are doubled, or if it is just a chorus, or reverb thing. Sound cool though.
Ed

Dogman said:
Sweet man. I probably like it better than the first mix, but can't say exactly why. Just a funky tune. How about the vocals? Recording chain, and how did you process them? They sit well, in my opinion. I can't tell if they are doubled, or if it is just a chorus, or reverb thing. Sound cool though.
Ed

The verses are 3 vocal tracks. One left, one center and one right.
The choruses are 6 tracks. It's a 2 part harmony using the verse technique for each. They all have some compression on them, and there is a bit of verb on the entire mix. They all used the AT4040 (that you recommended) and the Tampa.

David Katauskas said:
The verses are 3 vocal tracks. One left, one center and one right.
The choruses are 6 tracks. It's a 2 part harmony using the verse technique for each. They all have some compression on them, and there is a bit of verb on the entire mix. They all used the AT4040 (that you recommended) and the Tampa.
I really dig how you got the vocals to sit in this. I agree woth the Burdon similarity also....just kind of smooth, and non-chalante. (sp?)
How far from your mic were you? Did you have the pre turned way up, or down? I always seem to catch too much boom, so I might be way too close myself. That, and I can't sing. :D
Just a nice smooth flow to the song. I dig it a bunch.
Ed

Dogman said:
I really dig how you got the vocals to sit in this. I agree woth the Burdon similarity also....just kind of smooth, and non-chalante. (sp?)
How far from your mic were you? Did you have the pre turned way up, or down? I always seem to catch too much boom, so I might be way too close myself. That, and I can't sing. :D
Just a nice smooth flow to the song. I dig it a bunch.
Ed

The mic was upside-down pointing slightly at my chin/throat with the pop-filter about 1 inch from the mic. During the verses, I was about 2-4 inches away from the mic. During the chorus parts, i was about 1-2 feet away.

The mic pre (Tampa) had the 20 db pad engaged and had the gain up enough to slightly engage the compressor (thresh 0db, 2:1). The mic did not have the pad nor the high-pass turned on.

Then in mixing, I put the high-pass filter on all vox above 100 Hz.

David Katauskas said:
The mic was upside-down pointing slightly at my chin/throat with the pop-filter about 1 inch from the mic. During the verses, I was about 2-4 inches away from the mic. During the chorus parts, i was about 1-2 feet away.

The mic pre (Tampa) had the 20 db pad engaged and had the gain up enough to slightly engage the compressor (thresh 0db, 2:1). The mic did not have the pad nor the high-pass turned on.

Then in mixing, I put the high-pass filter on all vox above 100 Hz.
Cool...thanks man.
Ed

Back