"Slide" Second attempt

DaveCNewton

Would love some thoughts on how to better my production!

I notice that the solo is pretty loud so that could come down a bit

This is the first song I've kind of taken my time with and tried to do things properly, To me it sounds alright but it will be interesting to see how others listen to it!

Cheers,
Dave

Everything is so loud I can barely pick out the drums. They could come up a lot and the guitars down a lot. Try that, and see what else needs to be done then.

Nice playing and cool tune.

I realize i perhaps shouldn't have mixed for 2 hours and then uploaded it straight away, I've tried to fix the master compression as well as sorting the levels out, it might still be a little too compressed but i feel theres more space in this version than there was before

Also sidechained the channel that im using for parrallel compression on the guitars to the snare, so it can cut through a bit better

Still could use a little work i think

I listened to both versions and here's what I noticed. The Ride cymbal to the left under the first verse is distracting. It's too far left. The lead slide in the beginning is still a bit loud for me. I like the intro a lot, but the lead comes in a little to strong for me. The synth or piano type part during the solo is competing to hard with the solo. Bring it down. The solo should own that section and not have to be overwhelmingly loud or battle with another part that's trying to play lead.
One thing that took me awhile to realize (still working on it really) is learning how to get everything in. Not mix louder and louder until things can be heard. Try to settle things into there place at a nice level then bring the entire mix up to max volume.
Hope that makes sense.

My thoughts

I only listened to the second version.

I like the song; kind of reminds me of Oasis meets Smashing Pumpkins (especially the first 2/3 of the solo). I thought the solo sat pretty good in the mix, and you did a good job distinguishing it from the background guitars (I always struggle with this).

I didn't think the vocal sat as well in the beginning part; there was a section where the reverb sounded too deep, like you were singing in a cave. Later on it was better, though.

For me, it also didn't have enough energy. It didn't detect a bass guitar or any other pulse maker, so I think that was a big reason why.

Overall, I think you've got the melody part (guitars/synth/vocal) pretty well sorted out, but you need a stronger foundation with a bass/kick drum or something similar to give it more punch.

Hope this helps, you've done a much better job than I probably could.

David

Cross: Yeah that definitely does make sense! I'll look into the specifics you pointed out and try and adjust them. I know that i want my finish product to sound really settled like everything has its own place, but its either a lack of skill and knowledge or a lack of practice thats setting me back. I might save another version of the song and just bring all the instruments up one by one at a low level and try and adjust it that way, thanks for the feedback!

David: Exactly my thoughts! The first version was very compressed because i didn't feel there was enough energy, but obviously i went a little too over the top with it. I currently have two bass tracks (one for the boom and one for the clarity) and the kick. I side-chained the kick and the bass track as i wanted a prominent kick, however i still feel it could do with more energy, but that is where my skills are limited and i'd have to turn to advice on how to go about achieving it

Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate everyone taking the time to listen and comment!

I think david's point about the lack of energy is a good one. This is probably down mostly to the mastering, which really still isn't doing you any favours I'm afraid.

Cobalt: Tbh, I'm starting a three year production course at Uni this September so i know that one day i'll be able to get the best results out of my productions, as of yet its just me practicing i guess

How you personally deal with a track like this? any tips on mixing and mastering would be greatly appreciated!

Back