Sixteen Tons (acoustic cover)

keith.rogers

Another practice session with my friend working through some old stuff. A little busy, and sibilant, pitchy vocals (this number and mic on my voice will point them out!).

Comments, suggestions, etc. always welcome.

Miktek PM9 on vocal, AKG C214 on left guitar, Miktek MK300 on right guitar. One take, one small room, so lots of bleed everywhere.

guitars sound great.

vox is very good. id like to have them more up front and richer, fuller, more surrounding.

groove is catchy.

what a great tune yes

guitars sound great.

vox is very good. id like to have them more up front and richer, fuller, more surrounding.

groove is catchy.

what a great tune yes
Hey, thanks for listening and comments!

Is "them" the guitars? Any suggestions on what you're thinking about?

I normally would put 2 mics on a single guitar, and that can give me a little more options with width, but in the tiny space we're in I'm pretty sure I'd have more bleed and phase issues to deal with, so just kept it to 3 mics. There's EQ, compression and actually a fair amount of reverb here, already, FWIW.

Hey, thanks for listening and comments!

Is "them" the guitars? Any suggestions on what you're thinking about?

I normally would put 2 mics on a single guitar, and that can give me a little more options with width, but in the tiny space we're in I'm pretty sure I'd have more bleed and phase issues to deal with, so just kept it to 3 mics. There's EQ, compression and actually a fair amount of reverb here, already, FWIW.

The vox should be more upfront IMHO. I thought the guitars sound fine as is.

The vox should be more upfront IMHO. I thought the guitars sound fine as is.
Ooh. Well, thanks for the response! Maybe if it was Tennessee Ernie Ford singing, but that's me, so it's about as up front as I can stand, you know what I mean? ;)

(The lesson is that I need to put mixes without my involvement, i.e. other than *mixing* here ...)

I'm not exactly sure at which point I took that mix and slapped it on the video, but this was the actual take (2nd number on our first pass through an hour set I was trying to get ready). I think the audio is essentially the same as the dropbox file.

Back