Sitting on the Egde of the World...It doesn't get much cornier than this.

R

RAMI

OK, so I had a phrase in my head "Sitting on the Edge of the World", and actually started a thread in the song writing forum asking if there's already a popular song with this title.

Anyway, I went ahead and wrote a song with it anyway. I also got the video bug a few weeks ago after making my first video. I had the idea that I want to do a black and white video next time. So, I thought I'd need a tune that would suit black and white, and then I thought, what better type of tune for black and white than a 60's-ish pop tune. I even ordered 4 60's wigs for the split-screen video I want to do. :D

I ended up writing and recording this in the 2 days since I got the idea. It turns out that his is probably the corniest and "happiest" tune I've ever written. It's fun, but it's not really my usual style, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone here.

Let me know hat you think. I'm probably posting this too soon, because I'm sure if I let it sit for a few days, I'd hear a lot of flaws that I don't hear right now. So, lay it on me. :)

EDGE OF THE WORLD

Edge of the World (Words and music by RAMI)

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere,
And sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself
The whole world keeps on turning so let it turn you on
Taking my time and taking it easy because everything comes around and around

Chorus:
Just breathing the sound in the air
Just staying right here there everywhere
Just getting high again
Sitting on the edge of the world

Mangled misconceptions messed my muddled mind much more
And I got no more meaningless alliteration to share but who cares

Chorus:
Just getting high again

Chorus:
Just getting high again
Just getting high again
Just getting high again
Sitting on the edge of the edge of the edge of the edge of the edge of the world

Last edited:
RAMI,
I'm reading as the track downloads - slow service in my area.
The 1st verse is classic pun/cyclical philosophy stuff/
A touch of Beatles gentle psych to the words indeed.
I enjoyed the song.
The solo was good and I like the idea of a low note jobbie though the tone of the guitar and bass seemed to meld on a couple of notes in my head phones.
Keyboard skills are coming along nicely - they fit in well.
A happy RAMI track? Well, it worked because the word play was there as usual.

Wow, this is quite the departure from your normal style. It took a moment to shift gears and get into the gist of the song. :D I wouldn't call it corny, I would call it 'laid back'. I can almost smell the.... 'aroma'. I like the lyrics in the first verse. You've always got a nice way of weaving words.

Mix-wise, only my opinion, I find the right channel guitar kind of out there by itself and doesn't fit with the rest of the song.
OH's seem further apart than you normally do.
There seems to be some conflict between the solo guitar and the bass right after the solo starts.
Singing feels uncomfortable at first but you loosen up by the first chorus.

and of course, those classic Rami harmonies. nice.

yeah man,

RAMI,
I'm reading as the track downloads - slow service in my area.
The 1st verse is classic pun/cyclical philosophy stuff/
A touch of Beatles gentle psych to the words indeed.
I enjoyed the song.
The solo was good and I like the idea of a low note jobbie though the tone of the guitar and bass seemed to meld on a couple of notes in my head phones.
Keyboard skills are coming along nicely - they fit in well.
A happy RAMI track? Well, it worked because the word play was there as usual.

Wow, this is quite the departure from your normal style. It took a moment to shift gears and get into the gist of the song. :D I wouldn't call it corny, I would call it 'laid back'. I can almost smell the.... 'aroma'. I like the lyrics in the first verse. You've always got a nice way of weaving words.

Mix-wise, only my opinion, I find the right channel guitar kind of out there by itself and doesn't fit with the rest of the song.
OH's seem further apart than you normally do.
There seems to be some conflict between the solo guitar and the bass right after the solo starts.
Singing feels uncomfortable at first but you loosen up by the first chorus.

and of course, those classic Rami harmonies. nice.

yeah man,

Really cool. Thanx guys. I was expecting at least a few issues since I really did post this pretty much right after finishing it.

I can address all that. I think I need a compressor on the solo guitar to help it stand out from the bass. I'll also try to bring that guitar way out on the right in a little bit.

Thanx guys.

ray c already mentioned it, but I love the first couple of lines man. find yourself in the middle of nowhere/ in the middle of nowhere you find yourself...
That's a great lyric.

I thought it sounded good and I enjoyed it. it's a superb sounding recording of a great song in my opinion.

Needed to listen twice through to get over the shock of a RAMI song that doesn't sound like a RAMI song.

If the big moving picture studios ever decide to bring back the beach party flick, this track is a shoe in for the opening credits, complete with freeze frames on all the stars of the movie frolicking on the beach with frisbees and surfboards. Hey... video idea? Do it! It would be perfect for this tune.

I'm not hearing anything that isn't totally subjective, RAMI, and even then, it's really just the lead guitar part that I'd bring up a little bit. Maybe a bit of a delay on the lead guitar to give it an ever so slightly "floatier" ambiance. Not an audible delay, just one of those that fills out the vibe.

I think this is great. The vocal harmonies are really perfect. Nice keys too. This was a pleasant surprise, man. Cool track.

ray c already mentioned it, but I love the first couple of lines man. find yourself in the middle of nowhere/ in the middle of nowhere you find yourself...
That's a great lyric.

I thought it sounded good and I enjoyed it. it's a superb sounding recording of a great song in my opinion.

Needed to listen twice through to get over the shock of a RAMI song that doesn't sound like a RAMI song.

If the big moving picture studios ever decide to bring back the beach party flick, this track is a shoe in for the opening credits, complete with freeze frames on all the stars of the movie frolicking on the beach with frisbees and surfboards. Hey... video idea? Do it! It would be perfect for this tune.

I'm not hearing anything that isn't totally subjective, RAMI, and even then, it's really just the lead guitar part that I'd bring up a little bit. Maybe a bit of a delay on the lead guitar to give it an ever so slightly "floatier" ambiance. Not an audible delay, just one of those that fills out the vibe.

I think this is great. The vocal harmonies are really perfect. Nice keys too. This was a pleasant surprise, man. Cool track.
Thanx so much, guys. Fishy, as you were typing, I uploaded a new version and did exactly what you said. Funny, exactly what you said, I turned up the lead, and put a slight delay on it. I also put a compressor on it so that the attack of the notes comes through a bit more. I was going for a "And I Love Her" solo vibe there.

I also brought in that rythm guitar on the right a little bit.

I really appreciate all the comments.

I'm glad you guys like those first lines in the song. Funny thing, I get a kick out of the second verse, because it's so stupid:

"Mangled misconceptions messed my muddled mind much more
And I got no more meaningless alliteration to share but who cares"

I actually laughed when I wrote it, and had to try singing it a couple of times without laughing. What can I say, I get a kick out of stupidity, so I have no problem entertaining myself.

Thanx a lot guys. :cool:

Excellent quality as always. Great clarity. Great harmonies. Lead vocal sounds pretty dang nice too. I like that rhythmic little guitar line sort off to the right.

Snare is just a smidge loud. I'd back off the reverb a bit. But I always say that.

The guitar in the middle solo is a bit muddy. I'm thinking a little notch somewhere around 300hz would clean that up nicely. You might also want to play with a cut lower down - like in the 120hz range. Just something there that sounds a little tubby.

IMO the bass is a good 2 db too loud.

Excellent quality as always. Great clarity. Great harmonies. Lead vocal sounds pretty dang nice too. I like that rhythmic little guitar line sort off to the right.

Snare is just a smidge loud. I'd back off the reverb a bit. But I always say that.

The guitar in the middle solo is a bit muddy. I'm thinking a little notch somewhere around 300hz would clean that up nicely. You might also want to play with a cut lower down - like in the 120hz range. Just something there that sounds a little tubby.

IMO the bass is a good 2 db too loud.

Thank you, buddy. I just put up a new mix addressing most of that. I left the reverb on the snare for now. I kind of like it, and it's rare that I get to over-do the wetness a bit. But I did turn down the snare and the bass a teenage c**t hair.

I did all I can with the guitar solo. I just cut a bit more low's from it, and earlier on I put a compressor on it, which helped bring out the attack a bit. I think I just used the wrong guitar for it. It probably would have been perfect for my Strat, but I used the neck pick-up on my SG (P-90). Maybe one day I'll re-record it with the Strat. For now, I think I can live with it.

Much appreciated. :cool:

Let me know hat you think. I'm probably posting this too soon, because I'm sure if I let it sit for a few days, I'd hear a lot of flaws that I don't hear right now. So, lay it on me. :)

[/B]

Nice tune. The impression I had right out of the box is that the buzzy right panned guitar is playing too busy a part while you're singing the verses. I didn't notice that guitar before the vocal started because the part it was playing during the piano intro fit right in. It's fine in the chorus because it's behaving itself lol.

The rest of the tune's great.

You've got the chops to change stuff up like this tune and make it work almost right away. That's a cool power to have.

Nice tune. The impression I had right out of the box is that the buzzy right panned guitar is playing too busy a part while you're singing the verses. I didn't notice that guitar before the vocal started because the part it was playing during the piano intro fit right in. It's fine in the chorus because it's behaving itself lol.

The rest of the tune's great.

You've got the chops to change stuff up like this tune and make it work almost right away. That's a cool power to have.
Thanx a lot, Dobrother.

I'll consider that guitar part. I thought the verse needed something a little "busy" since this is a very sparse mix (one guitar no doubling, piano, bass, and drums), and the piano is just stabbing at quarter notes. But I can simplify that git part if need be. Ill sit on this for a few days and see how it hits me in a week or so. Thanx buddy.

Thanx a lot, Dobrother.

I'll consider that guitar part. I thought the verse needed something a little "busy" since this is a very sparse mix (one guitar no doubling, piano, bass, and drums), and the piano is just stabbing at quarter notes. But I can simplify that git part if need be. Ill sit on this for a few days and see how it hits me in a week or so. Thanx buddy.

Keep in mind that it is completely subjective. For example, I don't find it too busy in the least (with HUGE respect dobro, for I have grown to trust your opinion and ears without a doubt). I think the current part works perfectly. Eye/ear of the beholder and all that sort of thing...

Yup. With RAMI's stuff, it's all taste calls. If I'd done this one, I'd have replicated the 0.10-0.25 riff behind the vocals. The way it is now, it's a bit like it's simple soloing behind the vocal. I've heard that on other tunes, and it works. It's not like it doesn't work on this one, but I thought that it would work better if the guitar part snuggled right in to the big, blocky hammer groove that he's got going here. It's a toe tapper, a head nodder. If the guitar pumps that, it'll make it even stronger. Two cents.

Yup. With RAMI's stuff, it's all taste calls. If I'd done this one, I'd have replicated the 0.10-0.25 riff behind the vocals. The way it is now, it's a bit like it's simple soloing behind the vocal. I've heard that on other tunes, and it works. It's not like it doesn't work on this one, but I thought that it would work better if the guitar part snuggled right in to the big, blocky hammer groove that he's got going here. It's a toe tapper, a head nodder. If the guitar pumps that, it'll make it even stronger. Two cents.
Makes sense. The chords are the same in both parts, so it would be no problem for me to copy and paste the guitar part from the intro into the verse to see if it works. Worth a try.

That little guitar part on the right side during the verses bothered me too - it actually pulls my ears away from the vocals. Maybe panning it further to the right and taking a little high end off it?

That little guitar part on the right side during the verses bothered me too - it actually pulls my ears away from the vocals. Maybe panning it further to the right and taking a little high end off it?
Hehe....

Thanx.

Yeah, I already had it out further and pulled it in. Thanx man.

Is this about drugs? I dunno. Something about your voice makes me feel incredulous about you singing about drugs. :D

Is this about drugs? I dunno. Something about your voice makes me feel incredulous about you singing about drugs. :D

:D

Thanx, I think. I'm not sure what you mean. It's not about anything really. Or, it is about drugs if you want it to be. But, either way, I'm no stranger to "drugs". Well, I am now, but I used to not be.

Or, as Mitch Hedberg says: "I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." :)

Back