"Singer/Songwriter" Style Acoustic Rock

Vocal sounds very good... the wide vocal dynamic range is handled well also. Gtrs could come up some, especially in the loudly strummed sections, and the gtr could have more low end overall. At 2:53 there's a vocal edit that has phrases overlapping a little. It sounds good but perhaps out of place with the live feel of the track.

Ok, here is a new mix, hopefully addressing the issues that Tim noticed...

I flattened the EQ curve on the guitar. I had rolled off the bottom end -I'm used to compensating for boomy cheap acoustics I guess? This one was a martin, and apparently didn't need it. I know there are some issues with the take, like at one spot I think he bumped the mic, and there might be a few plosives, and that one vocal that comes in too quick. This was basically a test run to see what kind of sound I can get, since I am used to recording acoustic/pop type stuff. Trying to expand my horizons I guess you could say.

Foreign Rhythms - Mix 3

You mean the guitar, I take it.
Nope, they were tracked at the same time - a small diaphram condenser on the guitar, and an SM57 for vox....

Vocals sound really good. Guitar needs to come up A LOT in my opinion. Seems like a decent sounding guitar but as Timothy said it could use some more low end. Fresher strings probably wouldn't hurt either, they sound a little dead.

I would just bring the guitar up more and I think you have a great recording.

listening through headphones but I still think on the strumming part where he gets into a bit more, the guitar needs to come up some. nice vocals and song. Good work on the recording.

Mix 1:
I dunno guys, I gotta disagree on ther guitars coming up in the verses, I sorta like the distance for some reason. There's enough percussiveness to keep it there. An organic recording like this doesn't really want to sound too prissy-mixed, right?

I do agree the guitar could have a bit of low end though.

Mix 3: Hmm, it's even a little boomy now; back about halfway toward where it was would probably be the fit. pull back 62 and 125, leave 80 alone; see what that does.

LOVE this guy's voice, he should audition for Jesus Christ Superstar somewhere, he coudl be Judas really easily.

I agree that the guitar is a little boomy/thumpy in the second mix (Mix 3), especially during the first verse. Cool vibe, though. Reminds me of Jude.

Cool, I can hear the guitar real well now. Still a little boomyness in the intro but not a big deal. Guitar seems to have more low end? During the verses. Sounds real good. Big improvement over the last one I heard.

Last one's pretty cool, man. I'd still cut the git in the 315Hz range to remove the ring of that boominess, but it's really good.

Listened to the latest mix. Nice balance between the gtrs and vocal. Sounds like a bit of low frequency compression on the gtr. If the gtr range under 300 Hz was a dB or so lower I think it'd be perfect.

amra said:
This was basically a test run to see what kind of sound I can get, since I am used to recording acoustic/pop type stuff. [/URL]
Do you mean that you're going to retrack the song? If so, I'd do a number of takes of the gtr to get a very clean, buzz-free, rhythm track.

Last edited:
last one

sounded good...like the song too. Nice work. These guys gave good advice.

that's how it's supposed to work. Good advice, no flaming!

Back