Silver Glide

Robus

Brand new song, still tweaking lyrics and things. Haven't decided on the ending yet. Let me know what you think. These are my demo vocals and programmed drums. The plan is to bring in a good singer. Drums will need a makeover for sure.

Thanks!

Latest mix:
Silver Glide_Ray Taylor_mix 12.mp3 - Google Drive

Silver Glide
Words and music by Ray Taylor, 2018

Desert aglow in starlight
Dawn turns the sandstone to silver and gold
The pirate rides
Silver glide
The bounty and the glory
The scar on his side
And the roar in his ears
Gunfire and tears
Come thundering through the years
All over and over
Let the pain leak out
From finger to throttle to ground
Sacrifice to pavement rolls around

Marked on his back a target
Three patch and a diamond
Scale to keep track
Gonna rip on the gas
Let the four winds go crazy
Like the blast of a daisy cutter
From out of the past
And the taste on his tongue
Gunpowder and rum
Turn the table now and then
Long may it never end
Let the blood trickle out
From finger to throttle to ground
Sacrifice to pavement rolls around

Let the wine spill out
From the bottle to the dust on the ground
Another sacrifice poured out
Another round

Last edited:
This is an interesting song. Really like your lyrics, very evocative. I started to imagine David Gilmour singing it, someone with that kind of voice would be perfect.

New mix in the OP. I got rid of some delay on the rhythm guitars that was tangling up the groove somewhat. First order of business is to get the groove solid. I'll take another swing at the programmed drums and get up another mix, maybe tomorrow night.

BTW, like everything I post at the Clinic, this is mix--no mastering.

Last edited:
The melody to this song is pretty good... very moody and it keeps you interested because (to my ear) it doesn't follow an obvious melody line. The basic building blocks are there ie. interesting melody and lyrics.

Everything else is just a matter of reworking or even trial and error... I agree that the drums need work but they work as a skeleton drum track... you could always add a second drum track at certain parts of the song to make it stand out a bit more.

Have you considered adding some subtle atmospheric keyboard or maybe some ambient guitar effects? Small things like that can really put the cherry on the cake.

Have another crack at the vocals... maybe double track them in places or add a harmony.

Keep going with it... it's definitely worth working on a bit more :-)

Everything sounds good. Except for the stuff that will get replaced. The drums weren't even that bad.

Mixwise, I'd only only have a couple of tweaks. I think the low end is too strong. The bass is really boomy. The low end doesn't seem centered - not necessarily a problem, just an observation.

The mix seems to lean a little bit to the left.

Guitars sound nice. Some cool parts.

Sounds good, doesn't seem to be pulling to the left to my ears. The acoustic on the right sticks out to me a little, not a bad thing though.

It is kinda Pink Floyd-y, which also isn't a bad thing. A little Petty meets Gordon Lightfoot-ish too. (if I spelled his name right)

Nice tone on the leads, if you re-track some of them I'd stick with the same tones. Is that acoustic solo going to fade out the ending, or is an actual ending in the works?

Sounds good, doesn't seem to be pulling to the left to my ears. The acoustic on the right sticks out to me a little, not a bad thing though.

It is kinda Pink Floyd-y, which also isn't a bad thing. A little Petty meets Gordon Lightfoot-ish too. (if I spelled his name right)

Nice tone on the leads, if you re-track some of them I'd stick with the same tones. Is that acoustic solo going to fade out the ending, or is an actual ending in the works?

Thanks Johnny. Want to sing it? :guitar:

Not sure about the ending yet. It could fade with an acoustic solo over that ending part that modulates to a different key.

Yeah, I like tone of that electric solo. That's the only electric guitar in the song, again. It's a Les Paul through my Trace-Elliot Velocette 15 watt combo, miked with an SM57. I doubled the part, I believe with one side dry and the other a Memory Boy delay into the amp. That little amp is pure magic.

There is a MUCH better mix up in the OP now.

Last edited:
Is that Abbey Road verb on the vocals? Sounds really cool, I like it. I thought the snare was a little low... check out Johnny's latest track he posted and listen to the snare. I think this would benefit from an ambient snare like that too. I'm having a hard time following the drum rhythm in this song, especially what the snare is doing. Is also drops out unexpectedly at the end, but the kit keeps playing and the instruments pick up like it's a new section, so, like I said, I can't follow their plan too clearly.

All the instruments sound great. The vocals are both gritty and spacey..which is cool

That's the Abbey Road chamber reverb, not the plate. Still a lot of work to do on the drums. It's not that often that I write songs in 3/4 times, so I might need practice. I'm hearing some inconsistencies in the bass level. When I fix that it might help drive the song better. I think my vocal is a bit on the back foot in some places, so it might need to lean in a bit more.

I think the song is great-interesting chord changes and melody. The drums are killing it for me-every time i hear a snare roll i know the drums aren't real. A different snare sound might be worth a try. I think the rim shot groove works well in the early part of the song. I think some more parts added to highlight the chord melody of the verses would work well, it has a bit of a haunting sound built in i think it could be accentuated with some shimmering chords and/or a single distorted note melody line, pedal steel would be great on this song...I like the tone of the solo, reminds me of neil young, the pent up energy...I think the singing is pretty close, it fits the song and the backup vocals are tasty, a little tweaking with some enunciations and occasional pitchy note and i think your vocals would work fine. Anyway, great song i think it has alot of production potential. Also, the end was a bit of confusion, it sounded like it was headed into a jam and abruptly fell apart and ended, seems like it could have gone on for a few rounds.

Thanks Johnny. Want to sing it? :guitar:

Not sure about the ending yet. It could fade with an acoustic solo over that ending part that modulates to a different key.

Yeah, I like tone of that electric solo. That's the only electric guitar in the song, again. It's a Les Paul through my Trace-Elliot Velocette 15 watt combo, miked with an SM57. I doubled the part, I believe with one side dry and the other a Memory Boy delay into the amp. That little amp is pure magic.

There is a MUCH better mix up in the OP now.

Yea like we've talked before those little amps are fantastic. Still kicking myself for selling mine off years ago.

If you decide to try me singing it, I'd love to, just let me know.

Back