Silent Opp - 1 of 8

ChristopherDawn

Hey everybody, I just got done recording 8 songs for an upcoming demo my band will be putting out.

I'm going to start with the first song I'm going to start mixing.

Recorded with:

Drums
Kick - D112 > Peavey VMP-2
Snare - sm57 > Peavey VMP-2
OHs - mxl 603s > Trident S20
Rack Tom - e609 Silver > Soundcraft M pre
Floor Tom - e609 Silver > Soundcraft M pre
Room - Soundelux u195 > Soundcraft M pre

Guitars
Bass - D112 > peavey vmp-2
Guit 1 (center) - e609 silver > Trident S20
Guit 2 (left) - e609 silver > Trident S20
Guit 3 (right) - e609 silver > peavey vmp-2

Vox
Logan - Soundelux u195 > Peavey vmp-2

All of these went into a Delta 1010 at 24/48 to Sonar 3.1.1.

All I have done so far is used some compression from a UAD-1 card and leveled things out.

Known issues: Kick/Bass guitar relationship. I have a hard time with this, as does everybody in the world. Blah. I hate you 80 hz.

So what does everybody think? What are things that jump out at you and say 'fix me?'

Silent Opposition - Death March

"Silent Opposition", eheh. Kind of sounds like the politically correct version of "Quiet Riot". Sorry, I'm not trying to insult, just tickled my funny bone. ;)

Relating to the kick/bass relationship, I really don't hear much definition of the kick. It might come up a little bit in level, but it may just be a matter of giving it a little more crack so it it doesn't get lost in the bass. The toms are also hard to pick out from the mix, they actually may just be a little quiet.

Good tune.

Cool song. Reminds me a bit of Thrice.

I agree the toms could be louder, kick too. Vocals bother me a little, mostly because he stays on 1 pitch for a lot. Vocals get lost in the mix a bit. The lead gutiar in the center also gets lost. I personally would be tempted to have that lead guitar be panned to one side instead in stead of one of the rythem guitars (very Illusion of Saftey). Or have it cut out during the verse or something. Or at least pan it somewhat so it's not right behind the vox and getting lost. It sounds like there's something very cool going with it and I'd like to hear it more. I like the guitar sound. When are you going to post the rest? :)

Daenn said:
When are you going to post the rest? :)

In time, grasshopper.

Or you could go here and download all of the 'semi-mixed' ones (about the same quality as this one) and check them out (since you're all in the recording game as well).

Things to note in these other songs: They were just mixed down to give me and the rest of the band something to listen to for a while. There's no backing vox. No eq or verb has been added, only compression. Some of the existing backing vox are out of tune. Some of the vocal tracks need to be redone.

Ah the benefits of being on a message board.

Last edited:
Back