A short Tom Waits song (youtube links)

byronic80

A short Tom Waits song

Since nobody's replying I'm guessing my post transgresses against some unwritten law (youtube frowned upon?) so I'm deleting. :)

Last edited:
I usually bite my tongue about this - but since you asked: Youtube is definitely frowned upon - almost as bad as MySpace. Personally, I don't even like soundclick, unless there's a "download" link right there on the page...in which case I would have preferred to have been given that link to begin with.

The idea here was to post an MP3 file - and I still like that the best on the rare occasion that somebody does that. Not one that we have to register for or jump through any hoops for the privilege of downloading, mind you. Just click, download, play, analyze, offer feedback - no fancy trickery, no requirement to have a video playing while listening, no requirement to listen on a certain machine that's hooked up to the web (some guys don't allow their DAW on the Internet... kind of archaic idea, I know - but it's still clung to by some).

Last edited:
Sure, I get it. But I thought mine was relatively inoffensive since the video was just a still image and the audio was a single take mp3.
I'll obey the protocol henceforth :).

You're cool with me, dude - do whatever you want. I only answered because you asked, you know - it's not a huge deal (and there's no official protocol that I'm aware of). Just put your mix back up already! :D

Alright since you insist :D

Me playing 'No One Knows I'm Gone' (by Tom Waits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PATHQm9qWF4

The equipment is basic home demo stuff - Studio Projects B1 condenser through Focusrite Saffire and Cubase. Single take, single mic.

I'd love some suggestions on mic placement when singing and playing simultaneously. The reverb is, I admit, a little extreme. The room is untreated as well. :)

Help.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
are you recording to stereo track? because all i hear from right speaker is reverb.

Actually I'm not sure if that was a mono or stereo track, I'd been going back and forth with that, that day - sorry - but I guess, weirdly, it's stereo.

Last edited:
You're probably going to get this comment a lot, but it's weird having everything all the way to the left like that with only reverb to the right. In Cubase you can split that stereo track into two mono ones, delete the empty track, and put the audio-containing one to the center.

I have no experience with doing one-take, one-mic, multiple-source recordings so I don't really have any other advice, sorry. I like the song, though :)

Back