Sheep - Pink Floyd cover

That's an amazing reproduction. Your playing is great. The organ sounds fantastic. What are you using? Are the drums programmed?

A friend turned me on to this record the summer after high school, 1981. What a chill time. What a chill record. WTF, when did I get old? :wtf:

Thanks, loved hearing it!

That's an amazing reproduction. Your playing is great. The organ sounds fantastic. What are you using? Are the drums programmed?

A friend turned me on to this record the summer after high school, 1981. What a chill time. What a chill record. WTF, when did I get old? :wtf:

Thanks, loved hearing it!

Thanks buddy. The keyboards were performed by my keyboardist and are all done through VST's (not sure which ones exactly). The drums are indeed programmed. You think they could pass for a real drummer? Check out my other Animals tracks on SC:

Dogs - Pink Floyd cover by Mothers Talk | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Pigs (Three Different Ones) - Pink Floyd cover by Mothers Talk | Free Listening on SoundCloud

This is probably my favourite Floyd track. You've done a good job on replicating most of the sounds. Uncanny reproduction of some of Gilmour's tones. Vocals are excellent too. I would have a look at balancing out some of the levels. For example when the vocals come in they're a bit too loud and the rhythm section drops away. Also the drums generally need beefing up e.g. when they come back at around 7.00, the toms need to be louder and alot more present. Near the end around 8.00 the vocals get a little overwhelmed.. good job though. Not an easy track to cover

This is probably my favourite Floyd track. You've done a good job on replicating most of the sounds. Uncanny reproduction of some of Gilmour's tones. Vocals are excellent too. I would have a look at balancing out some of the levels. For example when the vocals come in they're a bit too loud and the rhythm section drops away. Also the drums generally need beefing up e.g. when they come back at around 7.00, the toms need to be louder and alot more present. Near the end around 8.00 the vocals get a little overwhelmed.. good job though. Not an easy track to cover

Thanks, and definitely agree with your observation on the levels. I can definitely fix those levels w/ the the drums @ 7:00 and outro vocals.

I haven't listened to the original for a long time. Your electric piano...a Rhodes? I'm not sure...anyway it sounds great. Great cover dudes. That's a bit of a tour de force to pull off. Real devotion! Some instances where the drums overpower...some instances where guitars are fractionally bright and in the way of the vocal.

really dig this cover...
it's such a cool tune, lots of 'ear candy' to play with because the arrangement is so 'open'.

a good method of learning how to craft your own unique tones, for sure,
i've been listening to this tune since it first came out!

it's quite apparent that the drums are programmed, they are quite stiff.
but i don't know if it matters,
to me, it's more about the learning journey, than whether or not you pull off a 'spot on' cover.
there are quite a few bands out there already doing this....

i like the pigs cover too!

really dig this cover...
it's quite apparent that the drums are programmed, they are quite stiff.
but i don't know if it matters,
to me, it's more about the learning journey, than whether or not you pull off a 'spot on' cover.
there are quite a few bands out there already doing this....

i like the pigs cover too!

Thanks! But damn, I was feeling pretty good about the drums and hoped no one would call them out(yes they're VST). Can you elaborate? Where do they feel stiff? Do they at least sound real? Or is it just their rhythm that sounds stiff?...and also are you a drummer?

Thanks! But damn, I was feeling pretty good about the drums and hoped no one would call them out(yes they're VST). Can you elaborate? Where do they feel stiff? Do they at least sound real? Or is it just their rhythm that sounds stiff?...and also are you a drummer?

the sounds are fine i think, remember how dry mason's kit sounds most of the time, unless you have reverb for specific tom fills..

it's the programming.
it feels too 'by the numbers'.

can't tell you how to fix something like that, that is a judgement call made on the basis of experience and craft.

Yes definitely, my drums are a bit "wetter" with reverb than Nick's kit. I was, after all, going for a bigger sound than the PF original. Getting a truly human feel with micro-variations in the programming is indeed a tough task. It's interesting to learn how sensitive different listeners are to the fake drums. Some don't notice at all. At what point in the song did you suspect they were fake?

I thought the musicianship was very good.

Love the attack on the bass guitar. I thought it was a little loud and had a bit too strong bottom to it.

Keyboards sounded OK. Playing was great.

The transition into the vocals was a little weird/choppy. Just a bit. Great singing. I might nudge up the vocal just a bit. And nudge the guitars down just a bit. Put the vocal just a little more out in front.

Overall it was excellent.

I thought the musicianship was very good.

Love the attack on the bass guitar. I thought it was a little loud and had a bit too strong bottom to it.

Keyboards sounded OK. Playing was great.

The transition into the vocals was a little weird/choppy. Just a bit. Great singing. I might nudge up the vocal just a bit. And nudge the guitars down just a bit. Put the vocal just a little more out in front.

Overall it was excellent.

Thanks bud. Tried to breathe some more energy into this underrated PF track. Good observations. Yeah that transition was tricky because of a slight tempo change (I'm assuming you mean right after the Rhodes/Bass intro ends).

Back