She Only Loves Me When She's Drunk

FoulPhil

Hi :D

I'm back again with another new song. This was mixed using the exact same settings as the last song I was working on. So, what I'm hoping for is that with this track what ever mix changes I need to make will put it right where I want all my tracks to be and I can just finish up all my songs and not need too much more mixing advice lol.

I'm not doing anything different from track to track. I have all my notes and recording settings written down. Basically what I'm going for is consistency from track to track. Also let me know if anything is off or just sounds bad etc.

Very clean. I personally would like a bit more bass, but this is very well mixed. I like little bass pushing a slow song like this. Once again, nice mix I am hearing here.

I'm a fan! I dig the kind of music you're making; haven't noticed anybody else on the forum working in this genre. Clever lyrics, good songs and playing. The mix is a little boomy for me. You might try high passing all the non-bass instruments to see if that cleans up the bottom a bit. The bass sounds good but seems overly dominant. I though the melody in the final line of the chorus ("when she's drunk") was a bit of a let down, like it wanted to go up an octave or something, to make a more satisfying resolution or finale. Good job!

Very clean. I personally would like a bit more bass, but this is very well mixed. I like little bass pushing a slow song like this. Once again, nice mix I am hearing here.

I'll check it out. I think the bass was played softer on this track or something. I have a few tracks where the volumes aren't the same and I'm trying to figure out why LOL.

I'm a fan! I dig the kind of music you're making; haven't noticed anybody else on the forum working in this genre. Clever lyrics, good songs and playing. The mix is a little boomy for me. You might try high passing all the non-bass instruments to see if that cleans up the bottom a bit. The bass sounds good but seems overly dominant. I though the melody in the final line of the chorus ("when she's drunk") was a bit of a let down, like it wanted to go up an octave or something, to make a more satisfying resolution or finale. Good job!

Thanks for the comments. I'm probably the only one here who actually get's drunk every now and then and listens to all the old outlaw country albums LOL. I think my stuff comes off more Americana because I take from different elements of music to make something that works. I thought about singing higher as well, like you say. I'm not sure what the word is for what I was going for. It would be like if you sigh, slap your forehead, shake your head and be like uggg "when she's drunk".... lol

As a follow up to this song, you should check out Jimmy Buffett's song, "Why Don't We Get Drunk (and Screw)" ;)

Man this brings back memories...the style of music your doing reminds me of the music my family listened to when I was growing up.

I think your mix is really good. I think your really getting a handle on the frequencies and keeping everything clear. The bass does have a few dropped notes whereas some frequencies are stronger than other. Fixing that would be some tight notching in those frequencies.

Again, good job bro.

As a follow up to this song, you should check out Jimmy Buffett's song, "Why Don't We Get Drunk (and Screw)" ;)

Yeah that song was sweet. I want more instruments for my music, but I don't know how to get them on there without buying them and learning to play them LOL. Eventually I'm going to buy a weissenborn lap steel guitar, mandolin, Banjo (have one on layaway already lol), and maybe a fiddle. I think I can get down on a lap steel, banjo and mandolin, not too sure about fiddle LOL. There's some websites where people will play it for you if you pay them, but I don't really have the money...

Man this brings back memories...the style of music your doing reminds me of the music my family listened to when I was growing up.

I think your mix is really good. I think your really getting a handle on the frequencies and keeping everything clear. The bass does have a few dropped notes whereas some frequencies are stronger than other. Fixing that would be some tight notching in those frequencies.

Again, good job bro.

Thanks I heard a lot of stuff like that growing up too. Always hated it because I was more of a rocker. At one point I hated anything that wasn't extreme metal LOL. As I got older my tastes expanded quite a bit. I think I'm doing better on this project than anything else I've done so far. That's the main thing. I'm not going for perfection, just want to be able to get a bad ass sound. I'd have to figure out how to do that shit with the bass too man. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for or trying to do. I also plan on upgrading my electric guitar and bass as well. Right now I'm using something that's better suited for metal. You have to do the best you can with what you have sometimes.

I like the level of the bass. I also like the song and the concept. I can't hear anything glaringly wrong, it sounds great, mate.

I can hear the hotter pickup on the guitar now that you mention it, but it's not a big deal really.

Awesome job.

Overall it sounds pretty nice. Well performed.

Most everything sounds nice. But it seems like everything is really clustered/cluttered in the 500hz - 2k range. There needs to be more space in that range for the vocal. Most of the time the vocal is audible. But when a guitar gets loud, it covers the vocal.

I like the reverb/delay or whatever was going on.

Bass was OK, but slightly indistinct. I'd like a bit more definition on the notes.

Hahaha, nice lyrics :)

I think that the two electric guitars need a little more space between them. Either panning or EQ or reverb, or a combination. They seem to be tripping over each other as it is.

Nice guitar tones, twangy but not piercing. The solo guitar sounds a little like it was recorded without pushing the speaker enough. Like it could punch a bit more.

I'm no country guy, but this was a fun listen. A little whimsical but backed with more than a little authenticity.

I like the level of the bass. I also like the song and the concept. I can't hear anything glaringly wrong, it sounds great, mate.

I can hear the hotter pickup on the guitar now that you mention it, but it's not a big deal really.

Awesome job.

I tried to just get it to fit in because I recorded it with a Jackson Rhodes w/ EMG pickups. Your typical metal style guitar LOL. It sort of came out sounding ok though...

Overall it sounds pretty nice. Well performed.

Most everything sounds nice. But it seems like everything is really clustered/cluttered in the 500hz - 2k range. There needs to be more space in that range for the vocal. Most of the time the vocal is audible. But when a guitar gets loud, it covers the vocal.

I like the reverb/delay or whatever was going on.

Bass was OK, but slightly indistinct. I'd like a bit more definition on the notes.

Thanks man. I'll give it all a try. I'm not really sure where to start, but I'll experiment and see if I can get it all sitting better.

Hahaha, nice lyrics :)

I think that the two electric guitars need a little more space between them. Either panning or EQ or reverb, or a combination. They seem to be tripping over each other as it is.

Nice guitar tones, twangy but not piercing. The solo guitar sounds a little like it was recorded without pushing the speaker enough. Like it could punch a bit more.

I'm no country guy, but this was a fun listen. A little whimsical but backed with more than a little authenticity.

Thanks for listening man. I only listen to country when I'm drunk, myself LOL.

I tried to just get it to fit in because I recorded it with a Jackson Rhodes w/ EMG pickups. Your typical metal style guitar LOL. It sort of came out sounding ok though...

There's not nearly enough fart jokes to be a metal song. :D

The mix seems pretty alright to me. Quality of engineering on each instrument seems consistent enough.

Great tune man. I agree that more bass would help, maybe a lot more.

The tune is classic in style which will resonate with anyone who lived thru that era like me.

I was expecting a different end though, either a repeat or a slow down of sorts or maybe the classic chord change up where you use family chords instead of the main ones.

Nice work.

Back