Shawn Colvin cover - "Shotgun Down the Avalanche"

famous beagle

This is a cover of Shawn Colvin's "Shotgun Down the Avalanche" by my wife's band. She's on lead vocals, and most of the other instruments are performed by another member.

Would love to hear any opinions on the mix, etc.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Shotgun Down the Avalanche mix10.mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 25
Great space in the recording and great performances. Very tasteful. Feels ever-so-slightly slightly heavier panned to the right. That's the only note I have.

Great space in the recording and great performances. Very tasteful. Feels ever-so-slightly slightly heavier panned to the right. That's the only note I have.

Thanks much for the listen and the kind words. I'll check out the panning issue. I appreciate it!

I think it sounds great. It's really hard to get acoustic guitar to sound good and this one sounds really good. A lot of a good sounding acoustic comes from the performance being good.
Fantastic vocal performance and recording of the vocal too.
No nits from me.

I think it sounds great. It's really hard to get acoustic guitar to sound good and this one sounds really good. A lot of a good sounding acoustic comes from the performance being good.
Fantastic vocal performance and recording of the vocal too.
No nits from me.

Thanks very much for the listen! :)

Really nice.

I can see the balance issue mentioned, but it's not that obvious in my (crappy) hearing - might just be the frequency weighting of the main accompaniment guitar? (I.e., something that might be left to the ME.)

Tiny nits:
I'd probably automate some of the vocalist's breaths a little down, because on a couple listens they start to become more obvious. And if you have access to RX plugins, I'd consider trying to tap out some mouth-clicks. If this gets a heavy-handed mastering and boost/compress much I think these'll haunt you.

There's one guitar note right around 1:52-53 that goes plink in my ear. If you have another take that is better I'd probably punch that in. Some of the finger-on-string sliding around on the fade out is noticeable to me but pretty well handled here. It can be a personal taste thing (and hard as heck to do anything about). But, for me on close listening in a set of cans, it intrudes. Maybe a future technical/playing thing to work on to have an option on how much to use.

Really nice.

I can see the balance issue mentioned, but it's not that obvious in my (crappy) hearing - might just be the frequency weighting of the main accompaniment guitar? (I.e., something that might be left to the ME.)

Tiny nits:
I'd probably automate some of the vocalist's breaths a little down, because on a couple listens they start to become more obvious. And if you have access to RX plugins, I'd consider trying to tap out some mouth-clicks. If this gets a heavy-handed mastering and boost/compress much I think these'll haunt you.

There's one guitar note right around 1:52-53 that goes plink in my ear. If you have another take that is better I'd probably punch that in. Some of the finger-on-string sliding around on the fade out is noticeable to me but pretty well handled here. It can be a personal taste thing (and hard as heck to do anything about). But, for me on close listening in a set of cans, it intrudes. Maybe a future technical/playing thing to work on to have an option on how much to use.

Thanks very much for the listen and detailed feedback. Will check those spots out! :)

Back