shadow

theres a very nice song.....

very well recorded and performed........

theres nothing for me to pick on:mad: :D ;) :)

i was gonna say add some strings, so that was a pleasant surprise at the end......:)

MIKE

ya know.... I agree with gidge. BUT!!! The only thing that caught my attention was the bass tone. It's a great tone on its own but I think it takes too much of the attention. Great song, great recording!
RF

Crystal clear production. Everything sounds top notch. I'm crazy about the provocative attitude of the vocals and I just like the hole set up a lot :).

Sounds really nice! Nice chord progression too. Only complaint is there are times when the guitar and bass seem at odds in the pitch. Sounds like maybe the bass is a little out of tune. I could just be fried too.

The song gives me like a forties vibe...I picture some sailor writing a letter to his lover.

I don't think the synth belongs at the end. The notes work, but it's so digital that it clashes. Just MHO.

Beautiful song Dobro. Your recordings always put the listener right next to you.

Well that song is, ummm, different.:D

Great recording though!:)

Couple minor nit picks:

The bass has that "needs new strings" tone. I think I know what tone you were going for: a "wood bass" type sound? Add some bottom and lose the pick.;)

I like the strings but agree that they sound too sterile. Needs something warmer, more "mellotronish".

M.Brane said:
Well that song is, ummm, different.:D

Great recording though!:)

Exactly what I thought.

The recording is great, so clean.

The song is good, but IMHO needs some development. I would bring the synths in sooner, and add a greater amount of patches.

The theme and variations trick would work wonders here. Nice tune:cool:

What a very intimate recording! What did you use on the acoustic? Sounds nice and warm. I agree with others on the synth sound...a bit sterile, but still nice. It's better than anything I could do so who am I to say!!! Just curious....are you a Christian??

I felt like you were right here in the room.. never heard anything quite like that.. a very sanitized sound.. I have mixed feelings about some of the vocal note choices, but this would be a perfect sound for a serenade.. I guess that's what it is.. it really is a great recording, but I felt a little gay while this song was playing. :D great stuff!

What very interesting and useful feedback. Thanks, all of you.

Rushfan - I think you're right about the bass. I'll cut it a bit.

M. Brane - the strings are new, and I don't use a pick. It's the fingernails. The synth is a preset in Fruity - I have *no* idea about working with synths - I need loads of help in this area. Thanks.

Sluice - thanks also. I need to work on synth sounds. Forties? Cool. The lyrics are some of the most disturbing on the album, so I decided to mask them with 'beautiful' music. I like the idea of someone humming absent-mindedly to this while they're making their coffee or something, not paying any real attention to the words, everything apparently peaceful and harmonious all the while the song's going on about one of the central tragedies of human existence.

B Sabbath - encouraging, thanks. If it made you feel gay, that's good. I wasn't trying to sound gay, and I'm not gay, and the song isn't really a serenade, but if it affected you that way ('whoa - this is kinda disturbing!), then it was as successful as I was trying to make it. Among others, I was raised on Lou Reed and Bryan Ferry. One of the things I love about their vocal delivery is how they sounded just that little bit twisted.

Eric O - thanks. See comments to B Sabbath. :D

David - "The song is good, but IMHO needs some development. I would bring the synths in sooner, and add a greater amount of patches. The theme and variations trick would work wonders here."

Well, this starts to get to the heart of the matter. I wanted a minimalist approach on this tune and on the album generally, but I know what you're saying. I need a George Martin. Where's my George Martin? (I've thought of writing a song called exactly that - Where's My George Martin?). I thought of bringing the synth in sooner, but other songs on the album developed more quickly, and I wanted a gentle, step-wise development on this one. But you're probably right - I still lack the altitude I need to see the big picture when I'm arranging. You're definitely right about the synth sound. I need to do some homework. Theme and variations? I'd need to hear it to know. Show me. LOL

Gidge - cheers. If you don't nitpick, then I know I've probably got it *approximately* right. lol

Sydfan - no, I'm not a Christian, but I've got a Christian friend. Does that count? I used two good condensers, one large, one small, on the guitar, and the large diaphragm of course on the voice. Close-miked everything, and put a taste less reverb on the vocals than on the instruments. I wanted it to sound like you're sitting in my living room, which is about 12' X 20', listening to three guys playing and singing. Room for about four listeners.

I'm really grateful for this feedback - mostly because it makes some future directions clearer. Thanks. I'm not gonna change the way I sing, though. Not if it makes B Sabbath feel gay. :D

This is dark--very dark, despite the light and sugarcoated treatment. The melody seems upbeat, almost like a 30's musical in a sense...no, like a Muppetts movie. I mean that in a positive way--sort of like a Randy Newman approach. Those lyrics are in sharp contrast to the feel of the song, which I assume you did intentionally. The lyrics are so dark, I don't think they would have gone down as easily with dark music:

"Mothers don't like children like me"

Whoa...its spooky, Dobro!

Listening, I can tell that there is a guy who knows recording and songwriting. It dosn't jump out at you like pop songs so often do. I had to dig a little bit and listen a couple times to get the gold.

Its actually a lot like a Randy Newman approach. Theres that sarcasm and juxtaposition of music that tells the heart one thing, but lyrics that send a different message. I've been listening to the album "Good Old Boys" by Randy lately, and I love the at song called "Marie". Its like the most beautiful love song to a woman, but the character that sings the song just can't figure out how to express his sentiments--he's just flawed, or raised or culturally acclimated that way.

Anyway, regarding the synth, I think it would work if it were brought down about 30%. I know your stuff is usually pretty minimal, but this could use a full blown production in places--just to add to the irony.

hey! a wierd thing happened and that mp3 song would not play at 45 it got stuck at 33 1/3.. :D ;) very different sound and well recorded too. I also tried one of your others while I was there and was equally entertained :D :D

actually kind of reminded me of another fun artist nielson's THe POINT for those old enough to remember that through all those years and smoke from the 60's

Crawdad - thanks, that's was useful. I'll take the synth down and see what it sounds like. Yeah, David K thought it could stand more production, too. I believe both of you, but it's time to get this album out. 'Good Old Boys' is one of my favorite albums of all time. I agree with you exactly about 'Marie'.

wfaraoni - thanks. I never used to listen to Nilsen, but I'll check him out. I don't want my stuff to sound like pop, but I can never quite escape that and make it as weird and beautiful as I want to. What does that say about me? :D As for the old-fashioned sound, the album's supposed to have some of that. It's part of the theme.

There's something in me that says that song needs to be on a movie soundtrack. Just has that feel to it. Nice guitar sound too...

Listening to this I suddenly feel gay......:eek:

This is a quiet/clean recording as usual from you with great vocal work.You definetly have your own sound vocally and on the guitar.

I like everything about it.It's too clean for me to even make any suggestions.Nothing jumps out at me as being harsh in the mix.

I dug it fo sho.

I gotta agree with the other fella's here concerning the great quality of the recording....top notch....

Musically I thought that there could have been more of a change musically from verse to chorus...sort of all sounds the same to me...repetative...ya know?

Cool lyrics...this is quality writing for sure...

Take it easy man,
Joe

clean recording dobro. you get the cleanest, dryest sound out of anyone in this clinic! the guitar blows me away every time! it's something i'm aiming for!

dobro said:
Sluice - thanks also. I need to work on synth sounds. Forties? Cool. The lyrics are some of the most disturbing on the album, so I decided to mask them with 'beautiful' music.

Ya, I caught that. That's why I said 'writing a letter', because it wouldn't be pretty saying it to her face. :)
Mike Patton of Faith No More (and several other non-traditional projects) is very good at that...he can be down right nasty about it. Good stuff D.

Interesting tune-definetely recorded well-nice acoustic sound-and vocal sound-Very very noise free-I usually don't notice stuff like that-but the sounds sound like theyre coming out of complete silence...If I have any issues with this at all it would be personal preference stuff-so I'm gonna tell you anyway :)--The vocal delivery---not that I mind an unusual vocal delivery-but at times it almost sounds like your joking?makes for an unusual feeling-hearing the intimate music and seemingly serious subject sung that way....The bass-I would have gone for a stand up sound-playing with fingers up the neck some-that attack kinda stands out....The strings-sound pretty synthy-a couple of single violin tracks like a string quartet would have sounded cool I think...All this is neither here nor there-you know what your doing and what you like--I guess I sometimes use this place as producer wanna be practice....Anyway I really liked the tune-I've listened about 10 times in a row...

Back