Secrets (of the Songs and Dance)

GONZO-X

Secrets by Bats Brew | Free Listening on SoundCloud

working on final mix on this one,
it's a tricky one, because of the synths.

looking for mix issues and translation issues.

my short list:
1. vox too loud or too bright.
2. synth needs more meat, or maybe, roll off the high end to make it a bit warmer and bring it up.
3. rhy. guitars too edgy.

got any ideas on this one?
tnx in advance.

Ok....the vox is fine if you ask me. Leave it as is until you bring in / up the mids and some bottom. The synth needs more "meat" as you say....and the rhy guitars seem to vanish for the same reason. But...before you do any of that......where's the bass? I like the kick as is but the bass is not where it needs to be. When you bring in more bottom you may find that you don't need as much work on the other areas. It sort of seems like one of those tracks that we play back after mixing and say...........gee....too bright......not realizing that there's not enough on the bottom to make the "brights" seem normal. Ok....so I know that's not a technical explanation..........but you get it I'm sure. Just my 2 cents worth as always. Thanks for the listen!

Ok....the vox is fine if you ask me. Leave it as is until you bring in / up the mids and some bottom. The synth needs more "meat" as you say....and the rhy guitars seem to vanish for the same reason. But...before you do any of that......where's the bass? I like the kick as is but the bass is not where it needs to be. When you bring in more bottom you may find that you don't need as much work on the other areas. It sort of seems like one of those tracks that we play back after mixing and say...........gee....too bright......not realizing that there's not enough on the bottom to make the "brights" seem normal. Ok....so I know that's not a technical explanation..........but you get it I'm sure. Just my 2 cents worth as always. Thanks for the listen!

thanks mickster...
yea, the bass is a high end thing,
kinda like a chris squires tone.

i suppose if the synths are going to stay out of the low end,
i could bring the low end of the bass back in.

when i started mixing this,
there was so much bottom end on the synths, it was swamping the track.
now i've got the synths more or less where i like em,
but too much low end on the bass makes it a muddy mess.

ok, so the low end is not really translating the way most would expect,
so i'll focus on that first.

Gonzo......that's right. I'm saying that you may need little or no attention to the other instruments if you carefully bring in more bottom end. I see your point about the Chris Squires tone.......but maybe just more volume on the bass? Right now you're far from making this a muddy mess IMO. Wish I could be more helpful......but I'm sure you'll get it squared away.

Oh....and BTW......this is only MY opinion.....and that may not be worth much.......so don't go ripping up anything just yet. I could be off here.

Back