"Secrets", 2nd mix, rock guitars and synth

GONZO-X

Dropbox - secrets-2_eq.wav

this is the 2nd mix of this one i've posted, dialing in the mix with previous comments and suggestions.
this is a tune written on synth, which for me, is a bit of a departure....
so i'm delving into new territory with this one.

my issues have been carving the right frequencies for the synth (which originally had a huge low end) and letting the kick and bass guitar still do their things....
this is my most recent effort.

Hey, thanks for sharing! Lots of energy in this song, nice! Very confident vocals (almost old school Chris Cornell-like in places), and I think the synth part is great actually - really swirls along nicely throughout the track.

In places the bass sounds just a tad muddy or not quite defined enough for my ears - but there are a lot of dynamic shifts in this song so it's not all the time.

Also, during the intro, just before the vox, the snare sounds like it gets a touch out of control volume-wise. Maybe that's a conscious decision? Just sounded like it was gonna explode, but when everything comes in it sorta sits back down in the mix. Sounded slightly odd to me.

Overall this is great though, clearly a lot of thought has been put into the various layers, and there's definite distinction between the parts (something I struggle with!)

Hey, thanks for sharing! Lots of energy in this song, nice! Very confident vocals (almost old school Chris Cornell-like in places), and I think the synth part is great actually - really swirls along nicely throughout the track.

In places the bass sounds just a tad muddy or not quite defined enough for my ears - but there are a lot of dynamic shifts in this song so it's not all the time.

Also, during the intro, just before the vox, the snare sounds like it gets a touch out of control volume-wise. Maybe that's a conscious decision? Just sounded like it was gonna explode, but when everything comes in it sorta sits back down in the mix. Sounded slightly odd to me.

Overall this is great though, clearly a lot of thought has been put into the various layers, and there's definite distinction between the parts (something I struggle with!)

alright Slim! thanks for listening and commenting,
yes, the bass might need some tweaking.... it's competing with synth low end AND kick, so i've done some carving already....

and yea, you're right about that opening snare...
i've taken that down now about 50%, works much better leading in as a rise in dynamics...

This has very much a 'soundtrack' vibe. Interesting with a heavy synth influence.
Mixwise it's hard to judge, I just listened on my laptop. But sometimes the synths seem a bit spikey in the high end (?)

This has very much a 'soundtrack' vibe. Interesting with a heavy synth influence.
Mixwise it's hard to judge, I just listened on my laptop. But sometimes the synths seem a bit spikey in the high end (?)

yea, soundtrack vibe....
it's kinda that way by nature, i guess....
i think that spikey high end sounds ok on a full range system,
but probably sounds harsh on something small.
i know exactly what/where you are talking about,

i think i'll try some automated EQ,
which is something i've never really done before.
good call

Back