Second Serious Song : Critiques needed

Blor007

Hi this is the second serious song on the cd , this needs lots of critiques: so be as harsh as you can without missing the positive elements.

http://users.pandora.be/blor007/lastnight%20(4).mp3

Thx in Advance

Ok, I'll shoot :)

Musical:
Timing. The guitar timing in the intro is really bad. The 2 guitars, the bass and the hihat all have a different timing. You don't seem to have a "band-time" yet. Play together more and most importantly, listing to eachother a little better.

The composition isn't bad :) Very punk, and doesn't bore that quickly at all. Punk is not my thing (although I have played alot of it in the past).

Backing vocals...well...am I wrong in thinking they are also the guitar players? ;) Take that as a hint

Technical:
Diffinatelly a 1-take, practice-room recording. That could work ok but you have to play as tight as possible, and that's just where it lacks. Also, I hear no compression at all. Try some on everything except the guitars (or maybe them too). How are the drums recorded? They sounds not so bright to me, try making them brighter.

The drummer owns :)

oki that's some helpfull comment, altough I must say it is all recorded seperatly.

4 guitars played seperatly 1 guitar : 1 left 1 right
2nd guitar : 1 left 1 right

Drum snare is not so good (so i'm going to look for a sample)

Any tips to brighten the song up ? (sounds a lit euhhm..not enough brightness)
And about compression , is Waves 5.0 a good plug-in for this?
My main problem is I can't hear the compression working unless i put treshold on like -15 wich makes the sound bad :).

Your song

I agree with user Halion.

I like the energy of the song.

I like the guitar sound, but lacks some timing here and there, mainly on bass and vocals, and at the guitars in the start of the tune.

Keep the energy up, the song has great potential...

:)

Genre be damned, this singing sounds rediculous.

Anyhow the drums have a weird imbalance to their impact in the song. They sound too thin and EQed. the cymbals don't sound nice but strangely clear. The guitars sound less than alive, I think some better mic placement would be much of the answer to fixing this "mix".

Back