Saturdays are Sadder Days

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
Hey,

Just recorded a song with my acoustic pop band and I'm pretty happy with the mix. I want to make it better though! The acoustic could use some help and I'm open to any other help you could give.

Note, the long intro is intentional, it has a function with the album.

Please, let me know what you think!

Song is called "Saturdays are Sadder Days" by my band, Asleep at a Wake

Thanks a lot, Eric

Nice stuff. I think the vocals could be louder - the chorus might be okay, but the verse is too quiet.

Interesting arrangement. I like the intro a lot.

Hi Eric - This is a cool song. I agree that the vocals need to come up in the mix, quite a bit in my opinion. There were parts where I couldn't hear what they lyrics were and it was hard to hear the harmony parts. I'm interested in what you're planning on the intro within the context of the album. I like it, just curious what the function's going to be.

I like the ending harmonies - I actually would have liked to hear that throughout the song in some areas to kind of connect it more with the rest of the song. Not sure if that makes sense, but it seemed a tiny bit separate for me. But that may have been intentional.

I think the title is clever. :)

The melody and arrangement is great and I like the vocals.

Thanks for posting it!

Jen

Ditto the above comments.

The only things I'd do to it are

1- spread the opening guitar with some stereo digi-enhancement and a little ambience to make it a little more 'grabful'...then narrow it back when the other instruments come in.

2-Pump up the bass and drums in the big finish. Under-represented in the mix at that point...not enough zoom in the boom. Sounds thin..and a fraction of its potential for adrenaline rush.

Nice stuff. I think the vocals could be louder - the chorus might be okay, but the verse is too quiet.

Interesting arrangement. I like the intro a lot.

Thanks super, I think my bandmate and I are not the best pop singers so that keeps my vocal levels lower. I'll bring them and see where I start to cringe.

Thanks!

Hi Eric - This is a cool song. I agree that the vocals need to come up in the mix, quite a bit in my opinion. There were parts where I couldn't hear what they lyrics were and it was hard to hear the harmony parts. I'm interested in what you're planning on the intro within the context of the album. I like it, just curious what the function's going to be.

I like the ending harmonies - I actually would have liked to hear that throughout the song in some areas to kind of connect it more with the rest of the song. Not sure if that makes sense, but it seemed a tiny bit separate for me. But that may have been intentional.

I think the title is clever. :)

The melody and arrangement is great and I like the vocals.

Thanks for posting it!

Jen

Thanks for the compliments Jen. On the album, the intro will serve as a long cross dissolve/fade between it and the last song. This is actually by far the loudest, vocal, and most orchestrated song for the album. Most songs are slow paced without vocals.

As far as the ending harmonies, we do have harmonies in the verses but more harmonies shouldn't hurt! haha

Thanks for the thorough reply Jen

Ditto the above comments.

The only things I'd do to it are

1- spread the opening guitar with some stereo digi-enhancement and a little ambience to make it a little more 'grabful'...then narrow it back when the other instruments come in.

2-Pump up the bass and drums in the big finish. Under-represented in the mix at that point...not enough zoom in the boom. Sounds thin..and a fraction of its potential for adrenaline rush.

1- sounds interesting, not sure what you mean by "grabful" but I would still like to try your suggestion.

2- i'll get that zoom in the boom!

Thanks for all your comments! Eric

The guitar at the start is a good quality recording, really crisp, excellent.

Vocals in the first half need a bit of a boost, and the song seems to loose a lot of low end in the 2nd half.

Is good though :)

Nice tune you've got here, Eric.
Voice in the verse definitely needs definition, I can hardly hear it and it sounds like a really nice melody. Drums sound a little weak too, maybe because of the reverb. Overall I like the traditional feel of the song and with a little tweaking you can make it shine thru better.

Joey :):):):)

Hey thanks a lot joey and waffle!

I think I have a good general consensus on how I can bring this song to a further level now. Thanks for the helpful comments.:)

This may just be me, but it seems like when the bells or whatever come in the opening note on them is missing the attack. It sounds like you here the decay of it suddenly. Am I making sense? Other than that, to my ears pretty well done. Vox didn't sound That quiet to me, but could come up some. I'll have to check ur other stuff.
James

Back