Satchel Paige

Too much verb on everything man....

did you record the guit and the vox at the same time?
harmony vox is way too far back in the mix...the wooo-hooos
guits and vox needs some seperation in the mix....

Cool tune...
Joe

Heyyeee powdah ... rhymes with chowdahhhh! New englund !! OY I wish to be free from TEA TAXES AND reeeligious persecution chowdah chowdah lobstah!

Nice sounding acoustic guits there. I like the mood of the song. I am having trouble making out the lyrics. I think the vox sound a bit muffled I'm not sure if they're buried in the mix or if the highs are missing but i couldn't make out any of the lyrics but i like the melody lines and the delivery. Cool back vox is it? The mood was set very nicely here.

DAMMIT JORO!! Do you see the times on our posts??? I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FIRST :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: What the hell are you doing up at 6:40a.m. on a Saturday!

Khompewtur said:
DAMMIT JORO!! Do you see the times on our posts??? I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FIRST :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: What the hell are you doing up at 6:40a.m. on a Saturday!

tracking man....what else is there? :D

Ditto. What better time to track than 6am on a Saturday! Maybe it's an east coast thing... :)

And Evan, Joe's from New England too, gov'nah! :D

Powderfinger....My girlfriend said "25."

Beautiful singing on this man. The guitars and nice and soft and cuddly too. I think a little bit of lyrical change up would be good. Remember if you get famous you'll have to sing that line one million times. ;)

Good song, Mr. Finger.

powderfinger

As for mix comments, all I could say is so far, everything sounds great! I love the verb setting and all the levels and eq sets you have on it.

My only snit would be on the vocals being a little pitchy in spots and worthy of a re-do to nail that down a bit better. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

Is this to be the final version in terms of adding anything further to it? It could stand very nicely as it is now or, you could add a whack of other stuff to this too and still have it come off as very tasteful. I could see Studioviols doing some strings to this to fill it out bit in my mind. Are you listening SV?

Great tune!

I enjoyed it!

Cheers! :)

nice and easy on the ears like an acoustic song should be.. I like the reverbs here.. agree there are a few pitchy spots that could be fixed though.. good song and sound.. had a little trouble making out the lyrics, but I'm not sure if I would sacrifice the sound to make them more understandable.. I don't know..

joro - thanks for the feedback......I know I did go overboard on reverb on this one...I was trying to get a sound that was definitely dripping in verb, but not so much that it makes it muddy....guess I still have to work on that

Khompewtur - Thanks for listening....I'm thinking what I told Sabbath about the words.......I think they're hard to understand due to the way I'm singing, not how I'm mixing 'em.....that was only my second time to sing the verses and I was reading as I was singing....and unfortunately, it shows......maybe I'll wait a few days, get more familiar with the song (just wrote it), and then retrack and see how that works.............and, yup, they are backing vocs on those parts.....and i'm glad you asked as that's what I was attempting to do with them.....just distant enough to be noticed, but have to question if it is vocals

Sluice - I know what you're saying about the lyrics......but Satchel Paige really did say "how old would you be if you didn't know your age"......so I feel weird changing it.....tell you what....if I ever get famous, I'll gladly change the lyrics :D

Ghost of FM - i'm gald the verb wasn't too overboard.....I definitely should retrack the vocal in a week or so for both clarity and pitch, but as I wrote above, I don't think I could do much beter now because I haven't memorized my own lyrics yet :p....I tried adding percussion, but it never sounded good, so I kinda just left it for the time being........

B.SABBATH said:
had a little trouble making out the lyrics, but I'm not sure if I would sacrifice the sound to make them more understandable.. I don't know..

Sabbath - Thanks for the feedback....I agree on the sound v. clarity option...I'm thinking the main clarity is lost from my actual singing on the verses, as that was litterally the second time I sung the verse...and I was reading off a sheet of paper......maybe I'll retrack in a week or so w/ a little more familiarity......i always seem to record verses right after i write them, which seems to always lead to problems w/ clarity and/or pitch (note to self):D

(didn't read any replies, yet)

hooked on the first chord

great opening line

love the acu guit sound

how 'bout as an outro, end just like you did, a couple o seconds of silence, then bring the guits back in and fade, nothing too dramatic or long; just a thought

read the replies

I thought the mix and 'verb and vox and backing vox, were all dead on I wouldn't change a thing

maybe a "lyrical change up" would work, that is such a good line
"how old would you be..."

(how can so many people hear so many different things)

Really nice tune!

I read the other replies and I have to disagree with a lot of them. To me the verb is excellent - gives it space - love the space! Love the distance on the background vocals, too. I don't have any issues with the'pitchiness' of the vocals - sounds very natural and live. (but I am also a 'pitchy' singer - too many Marlboros) And I can understand every line.

I guess it's a bit redundant, melodically speaking, but the simplicity is a draw - this would hush a crowd in a smoky bar and get the ears focused, I have no beefs at all, I guess. It's a really nice tune that was recorded very well. I might like to perform this tune - if I ever get another gig!!

Cool, man - laid back and mellow!
~Milan

I like the verb, ... maybe ... just a touch too much on the vocal.

All words are easy to understand, no challenges to understand the lyric. kudos on that mix element

The guitars are lovely.

The singing sincere and relaxed. Nice song, good hook.

At 1:09, those 'woooooo' sound a bit to verby, try some chorus effect on those vocals. Clone them, and work them in a fan, stacking them around on the right side, diminishing the level of each track as you move in towards the lead vocal.

And these are preferences here mostly, it's a nice song and performance. At 2:12, that sounds like mandolin, and mandolin would work really well here.

Plenty of headroom to allow for seperation of those backup vocals, and they have character as they have space there, good job, bravo on the backup vocals.

The could come up a hair, as they are very nice, if you bring them up in volume, you can move them a hair closer to center.

I'd offer to add violin, or viola to this, but I just think the song is finished, and that's a good sign of a good mix !

Some keyboard fills might work well inbetween the first hook and second verse ... yeah, a little bright piano here and there, but just a touch.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

It's a small world that we 'chronicle'

:D

I'm going to win, but by going in the opposite direction, song to short story, both of which I will have written.

elephant - thanks for checking it out.....that's definitely one of the interesting things about this place, how so many people can have so many different opinions.....glad you liked it........

MC Gitarz - gald you like the verb too......it seems like reverb and compression are the two effects around here that people don't like too hear too much of........i like the dry sound sometimes, but this one I really wanted to lay on the verb.........thanks

studioviols - thanks for listening.....i'm glad you made out the vocal fine...i was beginning to think it was harder than i thought it was to make it out......i like the technique you mentioned for the backing vocals.....i plan on trying that.....i've many times struggled to mix backing vocals well, so i'm interested to try that.....thanks

your voice is so ...whats the word...."earnest"?.."heartfelt"...well pick one that means honest and that is what i mean ...

sparse in arrangement ..and perfectly so ...
diggin the wooooooooo-hoooooooo's ..its early morning and i dont have this very loud...so i wont hazzard mix advice..but ..what a great way to end the night ...

thanks for that ..

Jamal.

edit*....almost forgot to mention how nice the guitar sound was

Nice song. Great vocal and backing. I like the reverb. Some little digital pops at 39sec. Some fret buzz haha. Nice tone on the accoustic, I like the way the vocal sits with the guitar, and yeh backing vocal could be slightly louder

This sounds really nice. The guitar sound is really good. I like how the higher part comes in later in the song. Love the "woohs".

I'd say you could back off on the verb a bit. I hear the soft sound you're going for, but I think you can still achieve that with a bit less verb. IMO it would sound more real.

This sounds great on my monitors. But because of the low end it worries me that it might not sound so good in my car. It might be a little boomy in the lead vocal and main acoustic. But it sounds great in my monitors.

Heya!

I pretty much like everything about this. I feel ya r.e. recording conditions (I had a hard time recording in my apartment as well, and it's kinda gotten worse since we moved into the travel trailer, but oh well).

Unlike some of the others here, I like the verb just fine. It sounds very pro and doesn't sound like you recorded it in an apartment. Maybe it sounds a little too pro? :confused:

I had to get used to the vocals (they were especially off a little in the beginning), but hey! They're lived in! It's a good thing...

erichenryus - thanks for checking it out.......i might back off the verb a bit and see how i like it, but for some reason i wanted tons of reverb on this one......seems like it's pulling people both ways.....thanks.....

Jamal - thanks for the kind words and, as always, thanks for the ears.....

Bulls Hit - yeah, i did hear that digital pop when listening back.....it seemed to have happened on mix down before i even converted to mp3, but i should be able to remix down and get rid of that......thanks for listening

fprod - that's a good point on the low end...i need to burn it and check it out on my car stereo....i need to get some monitors too......my acoustic did record a little bassier and boomier than usual, and i eq'd a little bottom end out, but maybe not quite enough.........thanks

Shaky Tee - yeah, recording in the apartment was more challenging than i expected....especially cause my setup is right next to the kitchen and the fridge is noisier than hell.......i might have to try moving my setup to a different room......oh well...thanks for checking it out........

Back