Sappy Valentine's Day song for my old lady - Greg_L original

Greg_L

Banned
I wrote this for my wife for Valentine's Day. Really cheesey and sappy, but I tried to include a little humor with some 50's doo-wop-ish backing vocals and Big Bopper breakdown part. :D

It's hot off the press, so let me know how the mix sounds. ;)

In case you can't figure it out, "Babydoll" is my pet name for her. I don't think I've called her by her actual name since we first got together. ;)

"Babydoll, My Girl"
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=16726

Oh Babydoll, my girl, dance with me tonight
Babydoll, my girl, dance with me tonight

When we first met,
I knew that you were the one for me – my love
I tried so hard to make you see – my love – my girl
My Babydoll, my girl

I’d blow up your phone,
I’d call you a hundred times a day – my love
For those 3 words that I hoped you’d say – my love – my girl
My Babydoll, my girl

I’m walking on clouds
Whenever you’re near
You are my light so I can see
I won‘t let you down
I’ll be sincere
Cuz you are the only girl for me – oh yeah!

Oh Babydoll, my girl, dance with me tonight

Oh babydoll, I know that I’m not perfect.
And I know that sometimes I can be hard to live with.
I leave the toilet seat up, my drums are too loud….
I go fishing just way too much.
But you gotta know that deep down in my heart
I will always love you, cuz you are my Babydoll – my girl!

I asked for your hand,
When you said “yes” you filled up my life with love
Then the day came, and now you’re my wife – my love – my girl
My Babydoll, my girl

The years have flown by,
With every minute I’m feeling more blessed – my love
You lay out my clothes so I can get dressed – my love – my girl
My Babydoll, my girl

Oh Babydoll, my love, dance with me tonight

WOW Greg, this sounds like the Stones, man! :D:D
Love those jingle-jangely guitars. Everything sounds so sweetly balanced and the drums have such a crispy fresh sound (like they always sound on your songs....:D). Backing vox sound great too. What can I say....you're a natural. This can go right off to all the radio stations of the world and beyond, with this quality..... Well done, love it!:):):):):):):):)

And yes, you do go fishing way too much......but as long as it's only fish you're catching, Mrs Greg will be OK with that! :D:D:D

Joe :):):)

WOW Greg...What can I say....you're a natural. This can go right off to all the radio stations of the world and beyond, with this quality.....
What a nice song Greg:D

Reminded me of La Bamba's Donna, with a more contemporary feel, better instruments, and of course Greg's tone magic!

Agree with Joe, off to the radio stations mate:)

Would you ever do a song that sucks???;):rolleyes:

What a song!

Cheers!

Greg L sir, you can do no wrong. It's kinda infuriating in a sense; I don't think you've EVER posted a bad mix! Sounds great, cool tune, great take on that whole genre. Good to see some Trem in there too, trem rocks. Nice one man.

Greg L sir, you can do no wrong. It's kinda infuriating in a sense; I don't think you've EVER posted a bad mix! Sounds great, cool tune, great take on that whole genre. Good to see some Trem in there too, trem rocks. Nice one man.

Thanks dude. Man, I've posted some really bad mixes. When I first got here, I was really sucktastic. If I do something good now, it's because of what I learned in here. Thank God those first posts seem to be gone. :D

Agree with Telepaul, that tremolo is sweet! This could have been on the "Cry Baby" soundtrack...great job Greg!

Sounds pretty authentic greg...maybe the heavy guitars bring it forward a couple of decades, but otherwise - very 50's-ish. Nice goin' :).

I love the spoken word section, although, I'm pretty sure it is not possible to fish too much ;)!

Thanks a lot queepy and heatmiser.

Belive me, if I could live on the beach and fish every day, I would. :)

You're nucking futs! :D

Nice job! I really liked it! Everyone is right, there isn't one thing about this mix that needs improvement. When we are in a band together, you get to be the AE... :rolleyes:

:o

"The years have flown by,
With every minute I’m feeling more blessed – my love
You lay out my clothes so I can get dressed – my love – my girl
My Babydoll, my girl"
CLASSIC stanza..
Sounds like a slightly tougher version of an Oz act from the mid to late 70's named Daddy Cool (Check out Love In An FJ from the classic LP "Sex, Dope Rock'n'Roll: Teenage Heaven").
They used 50's forms, tougher guitars and wry humour to make great music.
I think you've done the same - the missus should be well pleased.
In some part Valens, Doo Wop & Buddy Holly but a big bunch of fun.

Cool Greg. It's the Clash singing "Time is on My Side" by the Stones. :D

Nice take on a standard 50's progression. The sounds are just right for this.

Baby Doll must love this tune. Great job, Greg. Your music always has a lot of class.

Wig:)

Thanks a lot Rami and Xeries. :)

Yeah she liked it. She even cried a little. I was gonna make her wait till Valnetine's Day to hear it, but she knew I was doing something for her so she nagged me till I caved. This will buy me a lot of fishing trips. :D

this song sounds nice! i cant wait to have your drumming! you have a good ear. the guitar sounds like christmas bells! and the song has that nice blue smokey color i love! the only thing i'd tell you to do if i was a producer for you, when you say "love" at 49 seconds, or anytime after 3 minutes, if you wouldve done that john lennon thing "lo-o-o-ove" that wouldve been perfect. just once in the song, then it would be classic.

Greg, you old softie you !!!!

LOL, that clothes line is pretty hilarious. Do women still do that!!??

Back to the song, it's a really cool song. Listening on laptop so comment much on the mix but I have a feeling you'll come out OK without the input. :)

The trem'd chords sound really cool. It's a nice slow piece from you.

If you made her cry with this, then you certainly earned some fishing credits, eh?

Back