'Santiago'

Skyline_UK

This is a first mix of my latest project and was wondering whether I'm there or nearly there!
Do the vocals sit right or are they too dominant? Do the vocal harmonies seem at the right levels? Is the bass too dominant?
Any other observations would be helpful, thanks.
Santiago Mix 1

Vocals are at a pretty good spot. They could possibly come up but may not need to.

The thing that sticks out to me is that blippy synth is very close (on headphones). It might need some reverb or something to move it "away" from the listener.

Bass is pretty loud, but it doesn't demand attention, so it might be ok.

Many thanks for taking a listen. You're right about the synth blips, they are a bit 'there'; I'll put some more reverb on. I've also taken the bass down a tad.
Link has new version.

Last edited:
The mix has all the right elements, everything is in its place, plenty of space and separation, performances are spot-on, all tracked well, balance overall is good.... but there is just something not feeling right. The bass might be a little loud, but that's not it. Plenty of backing instruments doing good things and working well together. I can't really put my finger on it. It feels a little mechanical and awkward and I can't tell you why.
:(

I really want to like this mix, (I like the song) but it just isn't there yet. I say just keep making small tweaks and see what comes from it.

Looking forward to hearing revisions.

I think there may be too many pushes in the rhythm?

(I'm the OP. This forum often rejects my original registration for some reason and I can't log in, hence this alternative log in).

:cursing:

Improved mix No.2

Here's an improved version:
Santiago Mix 2

The drumming was wrong; I changed the hats from eights to fours and took a lot of the drum pushes out, and also changed the kit (XLN Addictive drums).
I also upped the tempo from 125bpm to 128bpm. I think the feel is a lot better now.
Many thanks for all suggestion and comments so far! All further contributions welcomed!

Hey Skyline.

Thanks for sharing this. Just listened to the latest version. Mix sounds pretty good to me. The panning effect on the opening synth is a little quick and off-putting to me - okay once everything kicks in though.

There is almost too much clarity in the mix, if that makes sense. Everything sounds a little too clear, and I feel like there could be a bit more grit or crunch in there... just a taste thing though.

Chorus vocal melody is really nice, and I like that arpeggio synth line - a nice additional layer.

This is so much better. I think you did more than just tinker with the drums. Whatever you did, it worked. I really like what I'm hearing.

This is so much better. I think you did more than just tinker with the drums. Whatever you did, it worked. I really like what I'm hearing.

I assume with the tempo change, the vocals were re-tracked?

A/Bing them a bit. I'm not sure that 1/4 notes on the hats are an improvement.

Hi Skyline. Good to see new people posting AND commenting on songs at the Clinic! Reciprocity is what makes the forum work. It's a good idea edit your OP when you post a new mix, so that the latest mix is always at the top of the thread.

The backing tracks sound good to me. I thought the opening ep part was a little stiff, performance wise. Things settled into a groove when the full arrangement came in. The bass sounds terrific. Perhaps the level balance between kick drum and bass could be tweaked. I think the kick could come up a smidge relative to the bass. I also like the chord progressions--had a bit of Steely Dan feeling there. That is a good thing. No problems with the vocals. The lead vocal level sounds right in the verse. It could stand to come up a little in the chorus. I'm hearing phase interference on the lead vocals in a place or two--it shows up as a kind of metallic sibilance ("It's only pain..."). I assume you have a double in there?

If you don't mind, let me make a suggestion that has more to do with composition than mix. I'm hearing a lot places where the phrasing of the lyric is awkward. To take one example, "like the Pilgrims over hundreds of years seeking answers to the questions why." If it were my song, I'd take another crack at polishing the lyrics. I'd be looking to create a closer connection between the metrical structure of the lyrics--the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables--and the rhythm of your backing tracks. It would make a huge difference.

As it stands, this is quality work that could be made much better. Good job!

If you don't mind, let me make a suggestion that has more to do with composition than mix. I'm hearing a lot places where the phrasing of the lyric is awkward. To take one example, "like the Pilgrims over hundreds of years seeking answers to the questions why." If it were my song, I'd take another crack at polishing the lyrics. I'd be looking to create a closer connection between the metrical structure of the lyrics--the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables--and the rhythm of your backing tracks. It would make a huge difference.

Many thanks Robus. I don't mind at all, it's what I want. Could you expand a little? You know what it's like; I'm so close to the canvas I can't see the picture any more! I thought I was singing with the beats, or do you mean that's the problem and I should try and loosen things, leave out some words and sing across them a bit? Perhaps you could illustrate by describing how best to change the stresses and words of that (rather full) couplet: "Like the pilgrims over hundreds of years seeking answers to the questions why." Many thanks!

(BTW, the song's about The Santiago Way, an ancient pilgrimage route up through Spain which people from around the world walk nowadays in order to challenge themselves physically, mentally and for some, spiritually. My lyric partner did the 700km walk this summer and it inspired these lyrics.)

John

In that line, listen to the word "question." Hear how there are three distinct notes on a two-syllable word? So the "que" gets the extra note. So it sounds like: qwe-eh-stion. To my ears it is awkward. There are many similar examples. Actually, in that example you could probably just simplify the melody.

Complete, plus video

I got to the stage where I felt the song was finished and any more work would over-egg the pudding. Here it is behind a video that probably clarifies the meaning of the lyrics also.
Thanks for all those who listened and made suggestions.

John

YouTube

cool tune, it's got a Jerry Rafferty vibe. The bass is prominent but it works well out there. Nice job.

Mix 2 I think the hihat is too prominent and the drums sound more brittle.

Back