Salvation For 1000 Whores (Death metal)

While I understand that the sound is semi-sought after, I think there's such a lack of tone it's unreal. Guitars lack depth, kick is a rapid splat and somehow 2x as loud as the snare, bass has no definition. However, despite all that, I'll commend you that the frequencies all sit well together. The sound is full, and everything has it's place. It's just not a realistic place in the spectrum. I'm not a fan of fade-out endings. To me that usually means the band couldn't come up with a real way to conclude the song.

Seems to be a pretty solid death metal mix.

The lyrics are almost comprehensible though, that could be a problem. :D

In the intro, the snare is only just audible. It would be just as effective with less of it filtered out, but it would be easier to pick out.
As for the vocals, gotta agree with VHSteve, the fx make the lyrics incomprehensible.
The kick needs a bit less HF 'click' and more LF thump.

I thought the vocals were good. Not a fan of the style, but they were well done. I guess I'll never get the Cookie Monster vocal thing. But they were well performed.

Some of the drums were machine-gunny.

The guitar tone on the guitar in the intro sounded like everything above about 2K was rolled off. Not enough high end. maybe that's what you wanted.

The guitars that come in at :21 sound better. But for my personal tastes, they had a little too much gain to them. A bit fizzy sounding.

Guitars were very well played.

MadHatterTCM:
Normally I don't respond to negative critiques and learn a lot from them, but yours made no sense to me. It's obvious you aren't a fan of Death Metal. It's not a "semi-sought after" sound. It is a sought after sound because I (and other death metal bands) are seeking after it.
I'll commend you that the frequencies all sit well together. The sound is full, and everything has it's place. It's just not a realistic place in the spectrum.
That makes no sense. And I wanted a fade out ending because it adds dramatic effect IMO. Like I am so musically inept that I have to replace an ending with a fade out because I couldn't write an end part.

VomitHatSteve:
Thanx man. I am working on it. Cant be having people understand THESE lyrics. You don't wanna know what I'm saying. You shouldn't know what I'm saying. lol.

cobaltaudio:
VomitHatSteve was making a joke and you missed it. This is Death Metal. You aren't supposed to understand the lyrics. The reason why this type of music has characteristically clicky kick drums is because if you add a lot of thump on 250bpm 16th note kicks you will get a non stop undefined rumble. Same with the snare. If it's too fat you get slop. Once again, it's Death Metal.....it's supposed to sound like that.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear death metal singing I always think of John Cleese doing silly walks...

But apart from making what I assume are lyrics sound like silly dying toad noises... this is pretty bloody good.

Cobalt and I agree that the lyrics are at the wrong level of comprehensibility, we just disagree on which direction they should go from here! :D

The lyrics I could pick out were something about "I'm gonna murder everyone I see today." "No, I'm not crazy!"

Hah! fair enough. On the snare, i only mean in the intro but I get it's a deliberate effect. I also get what you say on the kick though, yeah of course too much thump's gonna go boomy, but hey just offering an opinion.

Wow, very brutal! I am most impressed with the definition achieved in the guitars- Those speed-harmonies are killer! I can't say that I have one piece of music in my collection that resembles this genre, but it sounds pretty good to me. :D:cool:

Hah! fair enough. On the snare, i only mean in the intro but I get it's a deliberate effect. I also get what you say on the kick though, yeah of course too much thump's gonna go boomy, but hey just offering an opinion.

That's a tom groove in the intro and I still can't get the toms in addictive drums to sit well in anything heavy. I have to add that I have been mostly disappointed with any of the drum VSTI's toms.

It sounds fucking great for this style James, I would say your guitar playing is even too good for this....:)
It doesn't make the ears bleed, it's well-arranged and listenable. I'm not a friend of fade outs in heavy stuff either, but hell, if that's what you imagined, that's cool. Keep killin' em all!

Yup... Good stuff. My only nit (coming from someone who has only heard like 10 death-metal songs in his life) is that this sounds too pleasing to the ear. The guitars don't have that accentuated 2-3K HZ bump that makes my ears bleed. Maybe a bit much HF filtering on the guitars, but that's it. I guess the snare could come up, too, but in other songs I've heard in this genre, the kick is pounding in my face while the snare is all but an afterthought.

Great performance, MG.

Revised with all suggestions considered. Did some work on the snare and guitars to give them a little more balls. I still Want to keep them clear and articulate though even if at the cost of heaviness.

Revised

MadHatterTCM: It's obvious you aren't a fan of Death Metal.

I don't know where in my post I made it obvious I wasn't into death metal?

That makes no sense.

Come on, sure it does. I was just saying, I think that overall, the sound is super full, and it's well filled out. However, nothing about it is realistic to me. It has nothing to do with the style, and everything about the preference of the mix. I get it. People dig machine gun sounding kick drums. But it's unrealistic sounding. That does not sound like a well mixed kick. It sounds like a kick replaced with flicking metal. All I'm saying is, while it works - it's so unrealistic sounding to me. Several others mentioned a weak kick, and it's because we want the kick drum to sound like a kick drum, otherwise why is the drummer even bringing one in?

And I wanted a fade out ending because it adds dramatic effect IMO. Like I am so musically inept that I have to replace an ending with a fade out because I couldn't write an end part.

I'm not knocking you for doing it. Just giving you my opinion. I don't think it's dramatic IMO. I think it's boring compared to the rest of the song. Cool song with a meh fade-out outro. I'm not trying to sound harsh, I'm really just trying to give you my feedback overall. It's just what I think. Consider it, or dismiss it as you wish :)

By the way, did you change the outro since my last post? It doesn't fade out anymore? Maybe my speakers were dying on the first listen and there was no fade out :)

The mix sounds like you've done an EQ scoop - there's bottom end & top end but not much mid. -It could be me though or perhaps it's genre defined & accurate.
It did sound that the guitar & bass were well over the top of the kick drum - I know there's not much bass in the bass drum but it seemed to be a click in the distance.
No one else seems to have heard what I hear so perhaps I'd best recalibrate my sound card or something.
I shan't comment on the vocals because I'm not keen on this style of delivery. It's a good song.

It does sound less coherent. Well-played!

What's with the guitar cut at 1:50? Suddenly there's nothing on the left and just one guitar on the right? That's kind of weird.

Pretty good. I'd focus on the vocals a bit. They sound weird, but I can't put my finger on it. The guitars sound like they should for that style, and the drums are good too, I'd boost the OH and snare a bit though. And try to get some mids in for the guitars.

Back