The Saints, the curse, the hurricane, the Superdome, I'm tackling it

Ray J

This is not a stupid football song like the 'Superbowl Shuffle' or anything. It's a kind of spooky, bluesy/jazzy tune about the alleged curse of the New Orleans Saints. As you may or may not know, the Superdome sits on what was once Girod Street Cemetary. How's that for bad karma.

Anyway, I played an accoustic version of this for my band and they wanted to start playing it right away so I recorded an electric version by myself so that they could hear it. Because of the time sensitive nature I fast tracked it so, there are imperfections that I'm aware of but feel free to critique the mix as well as comment on the song itself.

first song on this page

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=137763

RAY J,
The voodoo you do is cool. I love the accordian touches.
The thing I most love is the guitar tone - sounds like a guitar. Oh, how I've missed that lately.
The accordian solo is mostly ace too.
My only concern is the name - I'd be afraid folk would think it the Trad Jazz tune & not take note for that reason.
Good narrative behind the melody & playing too.
I assume this is all you. Will you be doing a band recording? The differences would be interesting.
yet again I have to say this forum is allowing some absolute cream to rise. Enjoy floating.

thanks rayc, yeah, it's all me on this track. We're thinking about recording it as a band. I thought about the name thing, good point, not sure what I'm gonna do with that yet

hey great song! i grew up in new orleans (west-bank) and i love the saints. i live in houston now, but i watch the saints every sunday on satellite. awesome song, awesome vibe, awesome idea. anything to get the saints winning is alright with me. WHO DAT! :D

kick ass tune Ray.....

maybe we'll see the SuperBowl this year...... :)

hell, at least we have LSU.......

VERY GOOD, RAY!

first 2 songs "kicks..."
Well balanced mix
Clean recording,guitar sound, clean drums, good vocal ... :cool:
Crystal Clear and others seems more "on stage", not "on face" as "Amytrip.. and "Saint marching"...)

Ciro

Hey thanks fellas

Greg L- It's a little easier to write on something you know about, ie being a long-suffering Saints fan. LOL

Gidge- good to hear from you. Been a long time since I"ve posted anything. What else could a song about the Saints be other than blues? In that respect the tune practically "wrote itself" as they say.

Ciro- There's a big gap between the time i recorded 'the other 4 songs' and Amitriptyline Swing, and then another long time period between Amitr and this tune that probably can account for the differences in the recordings. Drums are usually my achillies heel, glad I've made some headway. I only have 8 tracks to work with so I had to jam the drums onto 3 tracks on this tune. I could have easily used 6 for them. I use a drum machine but I don't program it. I play it manually, in real time. i've been scorned, laughed at, as well as commended on that in the past.

I need some ears on this one one more time. I remixed and remixed until I don't know what I"m hearing anymore. Are the vocals too loud now?

dude, sounds perfect to me. :)

you need to send this to the saints before the season starts. i know its just pre-season, but they got trounced by the cowgirls last night. :(

That guitar tone is sweet! Just love the feel and instrumentation of this tune :cool: :cool:
Mixwise, sounds great, maybe a tad more bass.
Enjoyed this much :cool:

Greg L - the saints looked really bad monday. There's a good chance for me to get this tune on the radio locally but if the Saints get out of the blocks say 0-3 in the regular season, I think that'll kill any chance of this song generating any momentum.

Snakedog- thanks a bunch for listening and the compliments. I'm glad you chimed in with your opinion about the bass. This is the very latest thing I'm stressing. The recording sounds about right in my vehicle but i keep my bass and treble at about 7 out of 10 instead of straight up so I had a hunch the bass may have been a little light, now I need to decide whether to do it with EQ or Volume. I think a slight volume boost might be the way to go.

Back