Safety Dance

DavidK

Whoops, I mean err, ummm, aah, Sabre Dance. My bad.:D

My arrangement of the famous Sabre Dance by Khatchaturian. All comments welcomed. CRANK THIS MOTHER!

Sabre Dance

Classic tune - good choice....listening on headphones....
- there are spots where the xylophone just seems too hot. 1:20 is hot, whereas 1:40 seems okay. Maybe because at 1:40 there's more going on. I keep thinking the xylophone is overpowering the drums a bit in those spots. The drums BTW are pretty slick - noticed that right away..... 2:20 is another example where it pops out a bit.
- the middle section is very nice. That woodwind section sounds pretty good. The lower volume there does make the xylophone stand out though when it comes back in. I keep remembering "dynamics, man" but everything today is so darn compressed...
- At 0:13 there is a part played by the horns, followed by a similar but lower volume phrase (also horns?) which has more notes (there are several of these phrases throughout the piece. The second phrase part has more notes to it. I am familiar with that second part. I find myself anticipating it but cannot hear as well as I'd like. My preference would be to up that phrase...
- mix overall came out great. The spread on the instruments is cool, and the several in the center pop in and out, never stepping on the other. Good ambience too. Cool layering in parts. Your keyboard playing is excellent as always....This for your next CD?

:cool::D:cool::D

Ha ha ha!!!! I remember going to a puppet show as a kid, and watching an aligator play this across his teeth with a mallet! :D

Nice job with a classic. No nits from me!

Safety Razor Dance?

Do you remember Love Sculpture's version in the late 60's? dave Edmunds was the culprit - but it was fun.
The hammered tuned percussion (xyl?) is just a little up front for me.
Excellent selection, EXCELLENT playing, excellent recording.
I'd say that averages out as ExcEllEnt!

Thanks for listening Gerry, jay, Casey, Rocket, Ray.

This for your next CD?

I doubt it.:D I did it because it was there.:confused::D Its a unique piece, its very famous and it sounds pretty good in this version, but there is the whole question of "Why". I cant imagine people actually buying it. What it might work for is to sell it to an ad agency or something. I dont think its public domain however, so they would have to license the piece AND this recording.

The xylophone loudness was some kind of mixdown error.:confused: It isnt that loud in the mix, I think I accidently put a send on it or something that made it much louder than intended.

we can dance!

dang...I kind of wanted safety dance too!

Absolutely great sounding song though.

Pretty awesome man...and it does bring back many memmories of Saturday morning cartoons...I think a version of this was in just about every one of them...:D

(and Bent Rabbit did do a version of Safety Dance...turned out pretty awesome. I played some guitar on it...:D)

Great!! I gotta tell you, something about this music has a incredible effect on children...my 2 year old immediatly went crazy dancing around while upon hearing this, while my 6 year old son started jumping on the couch( much to his mothers dismay :p) ....fantastic job on this..sounds great!

Thanks for listening Greg, Baker, Dogman, Queepy.:cool:

something about this music has a incredible effect on children...

Its good that the next generation gets it too. Its actually Ballet music from a ballet nobody knows, but its the ultimate cartoon music.:)

Awesome and textured as usual. I hear what Ido might be saying about the xylophones. It might not be that they're too hot, it could just be that we're used to hearing that part more fluid, more string-y and less staccato ( I think???, it's been a while since I've heard this). I love the way the tension builds up and then comes down. Great stuff duder.

I immediately ran into my kitchen, grabbed 2 poles, and started spinning plates on top of the poles. I then grabbed a flaming torch and swallowed fire. The audience roared.

Great song. Makes me wanna be on the Ed Sullivan Show.

I like the production value. Clean and nicely separated. OMG...a plate's starting to slow down...

Moo

I immediately ran into my kitchen, grabbed 2 poles, and started spinning plates on top of the poles. I then grabbed a flaming torch and swallowed fire. The audience roared.

Great song. Makes me wanna be on the Ed Sullivan Show.

I like the production value. Clean and nicely separated. OMG...a plate's starting to slow down...

Moo

Best response ever.....:D

Thanks for checkin it out Rami, Moohead, eyema.:cool:

I immediately ran into my kitchen, grabbed 2 poles, and started spinning plates on top of the poles. I then grabbed a flaming torch and swallowed fire.

Thats the spirit.:cool::D

I like it. Personally, I always filter out television and cartoon memories when listening to music. Yeah I’ve seen the Sullivan Show reruns and the Disney dancing elephants but I try to shut that out of my brain, heh.

Good balance throughout. The only bit that isn’t working for me is a short wind part 1:03-1:19, a little to the left, narrow range, repeating passage w/trills. It just sounds too much like my parents’ old 60s vintage home organ with the “snake charmer flute” button pressed, ha-hah.:p:D

Back