Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Run For Your Life- Final?

Thanks

Run For Your Life- Final?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi fellas. Sorry I haven't been participating as much I used to. My life is all fucked up right now and every day seems like one more major decision to make. But I am going to finish my CD no matter what.

I've mixes Tjarko's bass tracks into this and retracked the heavier guitars. There are quite a few elements to this so your fresh perspective would be appreciated.

And I'll say here thanks to Tjarko for his skilled bass playing and his support. In this tune, he gave life to the bass part I wrote plus he added his own little bass solo which I think fits beautifully. So thanks man.

Run For Your Life

Thanks

Talking

I'll hit this tonight Tom!

Thanks
    Hey, I got broadband last week - those 9 MB files don't scare me no more.

Okay, easing into the tune now...

Gee, that waveform looks loud LOL...

What I like about this one (aside from the fact that I like Sluice's stuff) is the way the opening evokes the beat without stating it.

'You can put the razor back in your voice
    Cut their ears off slowly'

Ouch. That van Gogh stuff always disturbed me.

'I wouldn't dream of waking you up'

Yeah, right. Too late.

Okay, the mix is really succesful, especially when tracks are at low volume. Everything comes through really clearly. When stuff gets louder, the clarity suffers a bit. That's what you get for playing loud music, I expect.

Nah, I'm going out on a limb here - I think, with all respect, you'd get interesting results if you controlled dynamic levels a bit more. There's the middle way: not too much, not too little. The waveform on this one is almost solid - I'm impressed how you get such clarity on this, but at higher volumes, that clarity is compromised. Is that what you want? Clarity fuzzed? I dunno. I don't make the kind of music you make, so I'm not sure on this call. But I think there's a razor in your voice. Hey, I've got a question - is your emotion cranking the volume up?

I love that guitar work. I love the way you keep putting this stuff out. Don't stop now. I'm watching and listening and enjoying. I love the music.

Thanks
    Paul, I tried an L1 on this for no real reason but experimentation. I'm going to post the regular mix instead. It's the mix we're critiquing here afterall. Thanks.

Thanks
    Originally posted by dobro
    Hey, I've got a question - is your emotion cranking the volume up?
    Damn, it just hit me what you meant. You are probably quite right I'm afraid. I may be moving out of state. I may not be moving out of state. I may have a girlfriend, or I may not have a girlfriend. So I'm just trying to stay occupied today..

OK, the straight mix is done uploading. Thanks for letting me know Paul.

Thanks

Thumbs up

This is pretty epic Tom. The clarity and attention detail is what gets me here. I don't think I would have the patience to put together something like this. Very nice.

Most everything at this point would be preference from my viewpoint. A truly wonderful job. I might pull the guitar down a little from :56 - 1:13. It was a little distracting with the vocals. I listened several times and it botherd me less each time, so maybe it's no big deal.

What was that cool thing at 6:00?

Where do I send my CD money?

Todd

Thanks
    This is a really cool tune. It kind of reminds me of some early Yes with heavier guitars, and Pink Floydish vocals. I can really get into this. I'm only listening on headphones, but it sounds good to me.

Thanks
    Great stuff Tom, those clean running guitar line are exquisite. Embarrisingly this is my first time hearing this

The inflection in the vox always makes your songs, and the dynamics pop with authority. Vocals are excellently done.

The bass work is excellent Peddy, jeez there is a lot of themes to absorb in Toms work good job keeping up with him.

This is quite a ride, kudos from me.
    Keep doing what you're doing - Woodward

Thanks
    Skids, you said it: patience. I've said it before but Tom's tunes just reek of the kind of attention to detail I wish I could muster.

Okay, the tune is great, the performance is great, you're great, yada yada yada.

Seriously, love it.

Mix-wise I feel like, as dobro said, it's lacking a little of your usual clarity. Maybe it's the L2? Understand I still play your "The Passing" as a reference for me to shoot for, and I measure your mixes against that (which is a tall order, sure).

Personally, I loathe the L2 (and the L1 and any others Ls Waves comes up with). It seems to add a harshness and ugliness to anything it touches. I think I'd definitely like to hear this sans L2.

But no one part seems out of whack or anything. It's just a general slight "fuzziness" which I think could probably be attributed to whatever you did post mixdown.

More good music stuff. Hang in there with the rest (the life stuff).

Chris

Thanks

Thumbs up

I must be listening to a remix because it doesn't sound over limited to me.. probably could push it a little more..

sounds great! one thing that seemed strange was at exactly 6:00, coming out of the solo, it sounds like a glitch or bad edit.. although I know you would have caught that, so I'm sure it's a glitch.. other than that, print it, and 5 for both you and Ped too!

edit - are the keys @2:00, 3:50 etc newly added? I didn't really like them because the guitar is so tasty in this tune, I just want to hear that and the vocals.. just figured I'd nit because I've listened a few more times.. guitars sound great!

Thread Information