Run For Your Life- Final?

SLuiCe

Hi fellas. Sorry I haven't been participating as much I used to. My life is all fucked up right now and every day seems like one more major decision to make. But I am going to finish my CD no matter what.

I've mixes Tjarko's bass tracks into this and retracked the heavier guitars. There are quite a few elements to this so your fresh perspective would be appreciated.

And I'll say here thanks to Tjarko for his skilled bass playing and his support. In this tune, he gave life to the bass part I wrote plus he added his own little bass solo which I think fits beautifully. So thanks man.

Run For Your Life

Hey, I got broadband last week - those 9 MB files don't scare me no more.

Okay, easing into the tune now...

Gee, that waveform looks loud LOL...

What I like about this one (aside from the fact that I like Sluice's stuff) is the way the opening evokes the beat without stating it.

'You can put the razor back in your voice
Cut their ears off slowly'

Ouch. That van Gogh stuff always disturbed me.

'I wouldn't dream of waking you up'

Yeah, right. Too late.

Okay, the mix is really succesful, especially when tracks are at low volume. Everything comes through really clearly. When stuff gets louder, the clarity suffers a bit. That's what you get for playing loud music, I expect.

Nah, I'm going out on a limb here - I think, with all respect, you'd get interesting results if you controlled dynamic levels a bit more. There's the middle way: not too much, not too little. The waveform on this one is almost solid - I'm impressed how you get such clarity on this, but at higher volumes, that clarity is compromised. Is that what you want? Clarity fuzzed? I dunno. I don't make the kind of music you make, so I'm not sure on this call. But I think there's a razor in your voice. Hey, I've got a question - is your emotion cranking the volume up?

I love that guitar work. I love the way you keep putting this stuff out. Don't stop now. I'm watching and listening and enjoying. I love the music.

Paul, I tried an L1 on this for no real reason but experimentation. I'm going to post the regular mix instead. It's the mix we're critiquing here afterall. Thanks.

dobro said:
Hey, I've got a question - is your emotion cranking the volume up?

Damn, it just hit me what you meant. You are probably quite right I'm afraid. I may be moving out of state. I may not be moving out of state. I may have a girlfriend, or I may not have a girlfriend. So I'm just trying to stay occupied today..

OK, the straight mix is done uploading. Thanks for letting me know Paul.

This is pretty epic Tom. The clarity and attention detail is what gets me here. I don't think I would have the patience to put together something like this. Very nice.

Most everything at this point would be preference from my viewpoint. A truly wonderful job. I might pull the guitar down a little from :56 - 1:13. It was a little distracting with the vocals. I listened several times and it botherd me less each time, so maybe it's no big deal.

What was that cool thing at 6:00?

Where do I send my CD money? :)

Todd

This is a really cool tune. It kind of reminds me of some early Yes with heavier guitars, and Pink Floydish vocals. I can really get into this. I'm only listening on headphones, but it sounds good to me.

Great stuff Tom, those clean running guitar line are exquisite. Embarrisingly this is my first time hearing this :o

The inflection in the vox always makes your songs, and the dynamics pop with authority. Vocals are excellently done.

The bass work is excellent Peddy, jeez there is a lot of themes to absorb in Toms work good job keeping up with him.

This is quite a ride, kudos from me.

Skids, you said it: patience. I've said it before but Tom's tunes just reek of the kind of attention to detail I wish I could muster.

Okay, the tune is great, the performance is great, you're great, yada yada yada.:)

Seriously, love it.

Mix-wise I feel like, as dobro said, it's lacking a little of your usual clarity. Maybe it's the L2? Understand I still play your "The Passing" as a reference for me to shoot for, and I measure your mixes against that (which is a tall order, sure).

Personally, I loathe the L2 (and the L1 and any others Ls Waves comes up with). It seems to add a harshness and ugliness to anything it touches. I think I'd definitely like to hear this sans L2.

But no one part seems out of whack or anything. It's just a general slight "fuzziness" which I think could probably be attributed to whatever you did post mixdown.

More good music stuff. Hang in there with the rest (the life stuff).

Chris

I must be listening to a remix because it doesn't sound over limited to me.. probably could push it a little more.. :D

sounds great! one thing that seemed strange was at exactly 6:00, coming out of the solo, it sounds like a glitch or bad edit.. although I know you would have caught that, so I'm sure it's a glitch.. other than that, print it, and 5 for both you and Ped too!

edit - are the keys @2:00, 3:50 etc newly added? I didn't really like them because the guitar is so tasty in this tune, I just want to hear that and the vocals.. just figured I'd nit because I've listened a few more times.. guitars sound great!

Beyond some bits of grittiness in the vocals, there's not much to fix in this grim masterpiece. And I mean grim in a good way!:cool:

The hard rhythmic, conflicting beat does bring memories of Yes and Rush and Golden Earing to mind in some respects but you definitely make it your own in many modern ways with the bits of vibrato sprinkled around in the song.

Kudos too to Ped for the perfection of his performance on this and the many other pieces he has worked on with you. I hope you have included him on any record deals you are sure to get if any record companies are smart enough to sign you.

I was disheartened to read that you are going through a lot of personal turmoil but in many respects, it probably feeds you the raw emotion that you express very well in your music.

Great therapy, eh?!

Cheers! :)

hmmm.. hard to tell if I like this mix better than the last one. Overall the production sounds better on this one to me, but the bass is too loud through some of the heavier passages and the main chorus sounds kind of muddled compared to how I remember it. The rest sounds great.

Nice ass on that guitar around 5:35.

I'm with groucho

I could never get it together to put something like this together.
Ped is truly an amazing bassist BTW.
Yes comes to mind for me too like some others have said.

You are truly a unique sound in this place of unique musicians.
Hope you keep up the good work and life doesn't get too much in the way.

Dan

Head bobbing

it has a king crimson sound to me, “Beat“?, definitely prog rock'ish

Love it. I think I’ve listened, and commented on it before, but my memory…

Am working to finish a prog-rock tune of my own, and hope to post it soon
- ish (ha ha)

Oh, did I mention this song rocks!

it's not lacking much clarity in my opinion.......the bass sounds a little too fat in some sections, a touch more definition on the low end might help.....very nice......the drums are sounding awesome.....still the drum kit from hell?

I remember this happy little piece.... hehe

I cant really compare too much cuz I havent heard the original for quite some time, but I do notice a couple things...

The bass is awesome, nice and thick, but maybe a bit overpowering in the heavy parts...

The vocals are great as usual, I always thought your voice and style reminded me of Roger Waters, this one definitely does....

The one distorted guitar that comes in on the heavy parts (chorus) seems to be a bit edgy/grainy, I'm thinking if it were a bit smoother maybe, just a thought....

I also heard that glitch thing at 6:01 right before "why are you shaking so".....

Thats all I can think of...

Cool tune!!...:)

Cool tune Tom,
complex and clear....a bit bass heavy perhaps....
(I am on cans at the moment...)

drums sound is super...

umm...seems to flucuate level wise as it goes along....
Are you riding the master fader?

I really like the tune and your sound man,
Joe

I listened to the L2 mix right when you posted and wasn't that impressed with it. Sounded kind of dull.

Then I relistened after you reposted the song.:eek: Now I really like this song. As always, your guitar work is brilliant. And the vocals are intense later in the song.

The dynamics are pretty good with this song. Have you ever tried to cut the length of this song. I mean, try to keep the essence of the song, but stuff it into 3-4 minutes. It might be a pretty cool exercise. I was thinking that you could really keep the parts moving and keep the energy up throughout. Just a thought for you to consider. It's pretty damn good how it is. :D

Here's wishing you luck on the personal stuff. It's never any fun to have to deal with major issues like that. But, at least you can let it fuel a little creativity.

Sluice - I have a version of this song which is still my favourite performance-wise, even though the drums and bass are not as dynamic as they are in this version. The vocal in my version is raw and more fitting, I think you swear in that version as well :) It's dated 7-21-02 if it matters at all.

This still kills though, my favourite tune of yours. The bass is a real bonus here.

I just have a quick minute or two. Sorry I can't give this my best effort.

But in one listen through it, it all sounds real good. Liked the AM radio voice in those couple of small spots.

From 3:02 to 3:10 are the vox and guitars competing too much? Close call.

Small vocal oddity at 4:10 on the second syllable of the word "plainly." Very picky I know.

Very cool little thing you did at 6:01.

Back