Rough mix of a buddys song.

Freudian Slip

Friend of mine wrote this and wanted to record it so I abliged.

I uncanned some drums for him and played bass, added string part & backups.

Guits and lead vox are his. Still need to get a solo down.

I have some pretty good nit's on this one, but I'll keep my mouth shut :D Can't say much. My ears are just starting to come back from about a month of worthllessness.

Sorry RayC, this is one of those "only streams over quicktime" deals :o

It's called "Pour the Wine"

All comments welcome :)

F.S.

Typing as I listen in headphones....

Nice acoustic sound....big and full.

Vocals feel a tad low.

Good harmony but I would prefer some lining up.....on the second/third lines...no big deal though. It's not a requirement in a tune....just my preference....

What's the solo instrument gonna be? Lots of possibilities here.....

Low harmonies are very nice - I like that kind of harmony more and more lately.

Had a second listen and really other than the minor preferences above this is a great sounding mix....Good songwriting too, very cool....

What are you charging for these great productions :D :D :D :D I probably can't afford you though :D :D :D :D

ido1957 said:
Typing as I listen in headphones....

Nice acoustic sound....big and full.

Vocals feel a tad low.

Good harmony but I would prefer some lining up.....on the second/third lines...no big deal though. It's not a requirement in a tune....just my preference....

What's the solo instrument gonna be? Lots of possibilities here.....

Low harmonies are very nice - I like that kind of harmony more and more lately.

Had a second listen and really other than the minor preferences above this is a great sounding mix....Good songwriting too, very cool....

What are you charging for these great productions :D :D :D :D I probably can't afford you though :D :D :D :D

I don't think you need much help Ido:D If you ever did I'd make sure you could afford me ;)

Ya I preffer the lined up back up vocals too. His phrasing style is so awkward to me though that I sort of gave up :o

I'll look into the vocal levels. because of some of the mids I had to add to bring out his p's b's and such they can start to get harsh so I'm walking a fine line. I just could not get compression to do the whole job on his voice..

I like the low harmonies too, It can be a bit tough to keep them from getting a bit to resonant sounding at times. At least to me at the moment. Not to sure of my ears right now.

The solo is pretty open but, it will probly end up being a lower gain electric guitar doing a floyd-ish type of thing. we did discuss other options though.

Thanks alot for the listen and the comments.

F.S.

PS "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ido1957 again."

Frood Dood,
Streamed fine in my WMPlayer. YEE HA
It's the 1st few lines that particularly need a vox lift. May be bring the backing down a tiny bit for that phrase then normalize the whole thing?
Ido's pretty spot on, (as usual).
Very sympathetic production & playing. The rim shot needs to either snap more or be a little quieter to my ears.
A Floyddy git would be the obvious solo given the general sound - reminded me of Wish You Were Here - BUT perhaps obvious is what it shouldn't be. A cornet or even tuba would sound cool in relation to the harmonies but would be hard to get alternately a spanish/classical guitar solo forcusing on the mid and bottom end would be nice. Then again, how are your or his keyboard skills - a vibraphone/metalaphone/xylophone solo played on a synth or cheeseboard would be cool too.
Nice work on your part.

rayc said:
Frood Dood,
Streamed fine in my WMPlayer. YEE HA
It's the 1st few lines that particularly need a vox lift. May be bring the backing down a tiny bit for that phrase then normalize the whole thing?
Ido's pretty spot on, (as usual).
Very sympathetic production & playing. The rim shot needs to either snap more or be a little quieter to my ears.
A Floyddy git would be the obvious solo given the general sound - reminded me of Wish You Were Here - BUT perhaps obvious is what it shouldn't be. A cornet or even tuba would sound cool in relation to the harmonies but would be hard to get alternately a spanish/classical guitar solo forcusing on the mid and bottom end would be nice. Then again, how are your or his keyboard skills - a vibraphone/metalaphone/xylophone solo played on a synth or cheeseboard would be cool too.
Nice work on your part.

Thanks RayC.

I will look at the first few lines again. I have already boosted them some, but the seem to want to stay burried. I'll try another db or two;)

I'll check ou the snare. Do you think drying it up a bit might do it?
I was going to going to mess with it some yesterday but when I put it at good volume it seemed go straighten out. I might have to find a compromise.
I am using a new convelution reverb on it and I am not quite used to it yet I've tried it on other things and usually go back to waves rverb.

Thanks for the fod for thought on the solo;) What the hell is a cheeseboard? :D My keyboard skills are not very good but can pass on slower stuff :o

thanks for the input.

F.S.

I agree vox are a bit low...they sound nice, so getting them to be a bit more prominent would work well. The sounds are good. I also like the vibe...cool flow to the song. Maybe work a small amount on vocal levels, and it's done.

I like it... :D

Dogman said:
I agree vox are a bit low...they sound nice, so getting them to be a bit more prominent would work well. The sounds are good. I also like the vibe...cool flow to the song. Maybe work a small amount on vocal levels, and it's done.

I like it... :D

Thanks Dogman:)

I'm going to go in and mess with the levels on the begining if nothing else. Maybe a tad up on the rest of the song as well.

Thanks for the input.

F.S.

OK, Made some adjustments.

I lifted the lead vocals over all and a bit more from the start to the middle of the first chorus. On my system it started to get pretty sibilant so I used a hi shelf from 6k up and pulled about 2 db. I also had a 1.5 db bump at 3k that I removed.

Let me know if you think I pulled too much hi end from the vox. I may have to split the difference. I am not to trusting of my setup or ears right now so your input is appritiated. The original link is still up for those who've not heard it.

RayC. I did see what you meant on the snare and I fattened it up a bit with eq and switched reverbs. The reverb did most of the change. I also messed with the level a bit. It seems to me to be a bit buried in places and a bit out front in places. Chances are before I am done I will have to place an volume envelop on the track to get it right everywhere.

Let my know what you think guys :)

Edit: A link would help---

Thanks

F.S.

Hey Ray!

You got windows media to stream my file and I never have been able to, so you prompted me to figure it out:D Fiiiinnnaaalllyyyy!

Could they make the option any more stupidly labled :rolleyes:

Done with quicktime!

Yehaa :D :D :D

You motivated me and didn't even know it ;)

F.S.

Back