Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rough Mix....Was Board Mix

Thanks

Rough Mix....Was Board Mix

Sign in to disable this ad
    Worked a bit on this mix...but not too much. It's only the first real mix...usually takes me at least 4 mixes to get it right!

Lemme know what you think....

Newer mix...

Darth
    Last edited by DarthFaders; 01-16-2003 at 00:05.

Thanks
    I like what you've done with the kick. Even though that sound might be a little overdone, I still think it fits this particular style of music a little better. Actually, you might even try backing up some of the extra click I'm hearing now . . . you might have done just a little bit too good of a job on it.

If I were mastering this (which I'm not much qualified to do, so take with a sizeable grain of salt), I would take a very small chunk out of the high-mids. Just a tiny hair. It's just one of those things where I can see it possibly getting fatiguing to the ear after a while. I would try a wider Q (about 1.0) at 4,000 hz, and bring that down 1 db to 1.5 db at the most. I'd also try an even narrower one at 2.5k (Q factor of 4 or so), and take that down 1 db or so.

I'd also jack up 71 hz by 2 (might add a little bottom to the kick) . . . maybe even 3 db (Q factor of 3).

I'd also try just a touch of multiband compression at 10khz.

My thinking is this kinda' stuff might balance it out just a tad, and give it a little extra meat at the same time. But what the hell do I know anyway? This sounds really good.

Thanks

Thumbs up

You know, I don't have much more to add than this: Hearing someone making such great recordings from a bedroom is really very inspiring. At least it is to me. It's like "See? It can be done!". It just shows that talent and skills are way more important than having worth >$100k of equipment. You sir, are OK!

Thanks
    great clean gtr breaks in the beginning. this is great.. good balance amongst everything...and its LOUD. no complaints of any importance.

chess...eat it

Thanks
    Great! Grand! Wonderful!

Thanks
    Still love the tune but I can hear a lot of sibilance on the vocals in this mix.

Guitars seem to cut a little better in this mix.

Thanks
    Darth:
    Since your stuff is alot better than the average stuff here, I try will toss in some picky opinions.

Something is fighting with the rhythm guitars, but I wouldn't know what. The snare still sounds a bit "live", either caused by some reverb/delay or mic placement, but I am used to hearing snare straight upfront, especially for this type of music, so, the snare in this mix doesn't work %100 to me. On the other hand, the vocal and just about everyhting else in this mix is a killer!!

AL

Thanks
    Okay man...take this for what it's worth. I think there's too much high end in the mix. I'm hearing what Kramer's hearing on the vox, but I don't think it's sibilance per se...it's just a tweak right where his "S" is... but it really is most annoying to me on the snare. I didn't mention it in the first mix, b/c I figured you'd get around to it, and it DOES sound better (snare) than I remember it sounding in the first mix. You either brought the snare down some, or EQ'd it differently...and it IS better, I just think it needs more shaved off the top end. I don't know the frequency Kenneth (little joke), but it's high, and it's abrasive at VERY HIGH VOLUMES.

The kick sounds a lot better in this mix (I can hear it ).

The vocals still sound great for the most part.

They've still got the wrong word in there...LOL. "Compromised of the less..." It's just wrong.

For what it's worth, I got actual monitors a few weeks ago, so I'm not just shooting completely in the dark.

This is damned close, I think

Thanks
    i like this mix better.

i'm hearing things in here i didn't hear in the first mix - the drummer does really cool fills involving the kick that i couldn't hear before, the synth/moog type thing comes through now (didn't even know it was there before), backup vocals sound better.

i too am still not really digging the snare sound. it's perfectly acceptable, it's just that it's a little strange. if you didn't mix your top and bottom mics together as one track already, i would give the snare a lot more top and a lot less bottom. it has a really loose snare-wire sound and not enough bangy explosion for me. i don't think this is necessarily an EQ issue, as other are suggesting, but rather a mix between your two mics.
    or actually, you could try putting a gate on the bottom mic to tighten the sound up, so those snare wires don't rattle on too long.

there are a couple other things that i'm reluctant to mention, because they're better than they were before, but somehow strange.
    the first thing is the synth - while it cuts through the mix now, it has too much high end. it sounds way too electric and right in the same range as the guitar. i imagine it in my mind as fitting in with a smoother, darker sound.
    the other thing, that i'm REALLY reluctant to mention, is that the kick drum sounds slightly "cheap"... it's way better than it was before, but something about the click of it sounds unnatural. it's not that there's too much click sound, it's that it's in a somewhat strange, harsh frequency or something. maybe try playing with the frequency placement of the EQ boost you have going there... i don't know.

excellent work.

Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisharris
    Okay man...take this for what it's worth. I think there's too much high end in the mix.
    Thats what I was thinkin too.That might be the cause of the supposed sibilance that I "think" Im hearing on the Vocals.LOL....sort of a slight high end shrill to the whole mix....not much but enough to notice it.....slightly.

Thread Information