rough draft

guitarfreak12

ok...
First of all, I'm getting a lot of ear strain from the guitar parts. Maybe tone down the treble a little or add a bass boost/part to round out the sound. In my opinion, the background vocals could come up a bit. I could see this song having some kind of ambience going on, something slight and in the background. I don't know off the top of my head what it would be, but I'll leave that for you to figure out :) .

Mark,

I don't think it's as much an eq decision as it is more an issue of how the guitars were miked when you were doing the original recording. It sounds as though the Microphone was positioned near the bridge more then at the sound-hole and that your picking and strumming style also find the pick very close to the bridge when you are playing both instruments.

The tonality you are getting isn't necessarily harsh or hard on the ears but it is lacking any real or natural bottom end which does exist on both of those instruments.

If you have the patience and energy to re-track those guitars re-adjusting the mic to pick up more of the body of the guitars, you will obtain a far better recorded result.

I am detecting as well an audible amount of flutter in the recording. Are you working on a cassette based recording medium? If so, try cleaning the capstan and pinch roller to get the tape to roll more smoothly past the heads.

The song itself, sounds very pleasant and your singing, ( both of you) sound quite good.

Hold off on the bongos and what-not till you get a great base to build on.

Cheers! :)

ps; listening and critiquing other members here will also gain you additional replies and respect on the forum. A subtle reminder to all the newer members here who don't get a lot of responses to their posted music.:)

Besides what's already been said, I think the vocals sound great! I would have gone a little lighter on the panning of the guitars though.

Ghost, thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to re-track, if I didn't have the patience to re-track, then I wouldn't get very far with this stuff. As far as the fluttering, no, I'm not using cassete, I'm using CEP, and a Samson CO1, with a soundcraft spirit mixer. I don't have a decent sound card, so maybe that's it, maybe not. I'm planning to buy a new sound card soon. Thanks

Vocals are very nice (as are the lyrics). I second the comments about the geetars. I don't like that each one is fully panned to one side. It feels as if they're competing, not mixing. They also need more bass -- definitely move the mic toward the soundhole.

I think some sort of percussion would break the rut the song seems to get into after a few minutes. Nothing wrong w/ a 2 chord song, but it needs something else to give it character, even if it's simply playing louder, then softer, etc.

Good luck w/this. It's a keeper.

G

That was a great song, your vocals are real smooth in there. Good luck with your next session and sound card shopping.

Back