Rolling Stones' "Monkey Man" Cover....

At least 3 other bands have tunes called "Monkey Man". You probably didn't hear the one by the Stones. That riff was written and recorded by Keith Richards about 25 years before "Black and White", you ignorant retard.

Either way, your opinion is as worthless as that pathetic shit you come up with and try to pass off as music. I told you I'm staying out of your threads and you said you'd stay out of mine, so fuck off and go program your Casio, you talentless waste of oxygen. :rolleyes:

Don't hold back, RAMI, tell Jordan how you really feel about him.:D

I love the treatment of this cover. I wish I could sing like Jagger. That must be a ton of fun. The only possible nit I could have is the sustain on the bass. Did the original have that? I can't remember. No nits on the drums, naturally.

Wig:)

Well ... as per my OTHER thread ...

:D

I'm VERY familiar with the original, and still this is very impressive. Your vocal is SPOT on SOLID.

... and it's hard to be as loose as the world's greatest garage band when you're confined to layered tracking. Heck, even THEY probably couldn't do it.

... and yet you were able to capture some of their feel.

Were you trying to keep the "mix feel" of the original? ... meaning ... this mix isn't done in the "modern way", it's more of a traditional, retro approach.

For instance, mixes today tend to have vocals right in the listener's ear ... and you set the vocal in this mix back into a pocket in the bed.

... not a nit, btw ... for it's a personal mixing choice ... but I noticed that this presentation was VERY much the way it would have originally been done.

I'd love to see another version where the conceptual approach is a bit more "aggressive" ... it might be an interesting contrast.

But this one, on its own, is excellent.

Kev-

Don't hold back, RAMI, tell Jordan how you really feel about him.:D

I love the treatment of this cover. I wish I could sing like Jagger. That must be a ton of fun. The only possible nit I could have is the sustain on the bass. Did the original have that? I can't remember. No nits on the drums, naturally.

Wig:)

Thanx a lot, Wig. I'm not sure what you mean about the sustain on the bass. Do I have more or less sustain than the original??? I have no idea. The bass is the one thing in this tune I didn't really try to emulate. I just went for a (hopefully) full sound.:cool:

Well ... as per my OTHER thread ...

:D

I'm VERY familiar with the original, and still this is very impressive. Your vocal is SPOT on SOLID.

... and it's hard to be as loose as the world's greatest garage band when you're confined to layered tracking. Heck, even THEY probably couldn't do it.

... and yet you were able to capture some of their feel.

Were you trying to keep the "mix feel" of the original? ... meaning ... this mix isn't done in the "modern way", it's more of a traditional, retro approach.

For instance, mixes today tend to have vocals right in the listener's ear ... and you set the vocal in this mix back into a pocket in the bed.

... not a nit, btw ... for it's a personal mixing choice ... but I noticed that this presentation was VERY much the way it would have originally been done.

I'd love to see another version where the conceptual approach is a bit more "aggressive" ... it might be an interesting contrast.

But this one, on its own, is excellent.

Kev-

Thanx a lot, Kev. It's nice to hear that from someone who is familiar with the original.

I can't say I tried to mix this EXACTLY like the original. But I did try to do things like keep the guitar to one side, put more reverb on everything than I would if this was my song, etc..... And when I thought I was done mixing it, I went back for a quick listen to the original and did notice that his vocals were more tucked in than mine, so I brought mine down to try to emulate that. So, I'd have to say it was a semi-deliberate effort to capture some of the same mix as the Stones.

excellent man...damn...thats really good.
it has a fresh sound, the stones always did the heavy heavy reverb, and really they weren't known for good recordings, imo.

did you fall over wasted like, to simulate Keith, while playing it?

:p

Something I didn't know...
According to wiki - (& no - I haven't crossed referenced it yet but will do as wiki is weaki)
Richards plays the jumpy guitar riff as well as the slide guitar solo - knew that
Jagger provides vocals - yeah
producer Jimmy Miller plays tambourine on the song- that's new to me
Nicky Hopkins plays the piano - as usual
Charlie Watts provides drums - can hear that!
while Bill Wyman plays vibes - hmm, that's news.
Now, that might explain the diff in bass sound/style!

while Bill Wyman plays vibes - hmm, that's news.
Now, that might explain the diff in bass sound/style!

Well, there's also a regular bass guitar in the tune, most evident in the intro. But the vibes explains what I was hearing in one of the middle sections, which I couldn't figure out. I thought it was just weird piano playing, and didn't pay much attention to it since I don't put keyboards in my tunes no matter what. :)

Back