Roll With The Punches...

Robertt8

Well, much like the other tune (so cold) i took all your
comments and my own general takes on this and
remixed this last night and reposted it at 11:58pm
on Jan 11. so if you listened yesterday. please let me
know if this mix is any better. Thanks!

In an effort to keep our gigging demo moving along, I've re-recorded 75% of another song (02. Roll With The Punches.mp3) from our website. This tune now has all the guys in the band playing their instruments.

As usual, I think i'm struggling with the EQ (or placement of mics) for overheads, and bass drum mic...which seems to constantly fight with the the bass guitar no matter what i tweak. When I listen to this tune next to my last one i put up here (01. So Cold.mp3), it seems a lot less bassy...maybe too little now?...any feed back in that area?

As usual, i'm going to try and add this to the site, but if that doesn't work, this link below should...

URL: http://www.bagoftoysmusic.com/music.html
SONG: 02. Roll With The Punches.mp3 (new)

(by the way, the original can still be heard at
)

If anyone cares, here's the gear I used...
=================================
Mics: Studio Projects C1 and B1...Audio Technica Pro25 (only on bass drum)
Pre-Amp: M-Audio Audio Buddy
Outboard Compressor: Behringer Ultra Dyne Pro
Recorder: Roland VS-880EX
Guitars: Big Baby Taylor (main rhythm), Larrivee LV-03E (leads)
Bass: my bass players sweet bass (can't remember name)
Bass DI: Behrninger Bass V-Amp
Drums: Whatever that his set is...just bass, snare, high-hat, 1 tom, 1 cymbal

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's got plenty of low end. Sounds good here, man. I can never be sure unless/until I listen in the car - I'll try to do that with this one later today.

Sounds good, but the drums need boosting for defo (mostly just the kik and snare). The drums are the rythym that hold songs together usually, so you want them to be more prominent. The acoustic guitar sounds real nice. How did you record the acoustic guitar? would love to be able to record a guitar souding like that.

CHRISHARRIS: HEY! can you let me know how it sounds in the car when you get a chance?

ECKTRONIC: Yeah...thanks...I think I need another mix of this damn song. unfortunatly, I've got to do about 9 sub mixes of this song as most of the tracks i'm using are on the same set of tracks (for example...i'm using stuff on track 1, track 1 virtual track 1, 2, 3 and 4. it just ended up that way, and there are certain tracks i'm not using at all. so on one sub mix, i can only add like 1 or 2 at the most tracks to the mix. it's a freakin' nightmare. anyhoo...thanks. the guitars we done with the Studio Projects B1, that audio buddy and that behringer ultra dyne pro and into the recorder. it just mic'ed near the 12th fret, maybe 5 inches from the neck...um i guess that about it. nothing too fancy. thanks!

Remixed and reposted this track

I mentioned this in my original message, so if you're just checking back...

Well, much like the other tune (so cold) i took all your
comments and my own general takes on this and
remixed this last night and reposted it at 11:58pm
on Jan 11. so if you listened yesterday. please let me
know if this mix is any better. Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments guys! I *think* this mix is better. Please let me know what you think know...

Robertt8 said:
no other takers on this since i remixed it?

Hi,

Nice song! Sounded great to me.

I'm a complete newbie, but I do think the snare could do with being slightly louder.

I know this has nothing to do with mixing, but anyway... The song seems to me to be building toward something that never comes... I kept expecting a huge crashing guitar to appear, but it never did. I suppose it's personal taste/expectations, but I quite liked the fact one didn't :)

THOM: Thanks for checking the tune out and replying! i'll swing down and check out your demo tune shortly... yeah, i'm getting that snare thing a lot. i need to work on my overhead placements, and maybe see if i can stick another mic on it for more control. Also, i'm not a big fan of the electric guitars right now, so all these tunes are acoustic. thanks though!

NIce job. Great song.

I'd boost the snare a bit, and try to eq some of the 'gongyness' out of the cymbal tracks.

Other than that, It's almost there.

Robertt8 said:
THOM: Thanks for checking the tune out and replying! i'll swing down and check out your demo tune shortly... yeah, i'm getting that snare thing a lot. i need to work on my overhead placements, and maybe see if i can stick another mic on it for more control. Also, i'm not a big fan of the electric guitars right now, so all these tunes are acoustic. thanks though!
I just listened to it again. Really nice song.

It takes me back to when I was 16 and into ska... I guess that's why I kept expecting a distorted guitar to appear (that combined with the fact I was very, very, drunk the first time I listened to it) ;)

AXEMAN69: Yeah, i've mentioned before, that i'd love to boost the snare, but the drummer wasn't playing it loud enough for some reason...but yet the rim shot was quite loud...not quite sure what was going on there, but i've kind of got to work with what i've got. Thanks...

THOM: Tunes always sound different drunk huh? sometimes they sound way better, and sometimes nothing sounds right at all... I'm glad you're digging this one. Thanks!

:)

Back