Rockin in Detroit

imalion

Greetings from the Motor City!

I have just finished mixing a few new songs, and it is time to get some REAL feedback from my peers. It's been about 6 months since I last posted any songs here. I have been trying to apply a lot of the information from the forums here to my recording and my mixing. I must say, this website has helped me tons, and that I am very thankful for it.

I am currently using Cakewalk Home Studio XL. I also use the WAVE Gold Bundle for a lot of plugins. For my drums, (dont laugh) I use Fruity Loops with the DFH samples.

Currently I have 3 fresh songs that I have just finished mixing uploaded to Nowhere Radio. I would love to get some feedback on them.

Here is the link.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2837&alid=-1

Thanks in advance.

Steven

The first sounded good, and the third.

I think the second needs the vocals worked on. They where off key in some places.

But, over all they sound good. Good recording. Sounds professional.

The first song sounds hot. But for some reason I can't stand the ride cymbal sample during the chorus. It's not bad, but it doesn't sound as cool as the other drum samples.

I thought the solo might have been a bit overpowering in #3 but everything else sounded good.

I agree with the other guy on the vocals on #2. They don't sound bad, but they don't sound up to par with the other songs. Maybe it's the effects or doubling, but something feels weird about it. The song doesn't do it for me like the others do.

I listened to the first two. Decent mix. Good tunes. I hear some pumping and a bit of distortion though on them. I'm guessing you ran this through some mastering type compression here to get it "hot"? They few times I played with T Rax this is the way it sounded.
I really like your production style. Very slick.

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to take a serious listen to the vocals on that 2nd song (21 Grams) and see what I can to fix the problems.

I tried something new on these songs.

After I was finished with my final mixes I saved them as stereo wave files. then opened up a new project and imported the stereo wave file into the new project file. thats when I tried something new. I applied compression over the entire stereo mix. To me it sounds like it adds a cool "Punch" to the final mix. I have read some articles stating that applying compression on a stereo mix isnt such a good idea. But, I must say that I do like the sound that this new approach is giving me. How does it sound?

Is what I am doing ok? or do I need to stop?

Thanks.

Steven

I use compression over the entire mix too (Waves stuff for the most part, Timeworks Mastering compressor is cool too). I dial it up till I like it and then back it off a tick or so. If I can hear it working , it's too much in my humble opinion. I didn't look at your tunes in an editor (but I may tonight when I get home) but I hear distortion. I'm guessing that it's hitting over 0dBFS.

I'm confused, There are some good things I hear and some bad. I don't want to comment to much on the style. The playing sounds good. Why is the 3rd song only playing on the right hand side :confused: Did my system just blow up?

Track,

Thaanks for commenting on compression. It is a new tool for me. And I will admit I am VERY green with this technique. But so far, I like the result. I am not getting any distortion when I listen on multiple systems.

Flash,

Thanks for listening.... Not sure why you are only hearing things on the right side. Sounds like you might want to check your system. the 3 songs are stereo recordings.

Steven

Back