Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rock and Roll mix...please critique

Thanks

Rock and Roll mix...please critique

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm tired of people not giving me a chance because I'm 15. Maybe you guys won't judge.... Tell me what you think. I'm the drummer and do the recording in the band. I know the vocals are off at some parts but this is just a rough mix. Just listen and tell me what you think!

Thanks in advance
    Tyler

Thanks
    I attached the file...what happened? pshtwer

Thanks

Talking

http://www.doloresband.com/Fore_Shame.mp3

SOrry about that! but...thanks..also...

Thanks

I like the tune

Constructive criticism:

-The lead vocal is way too far out in front. It sounds like the rest of the band is 20ft behind him.

-The guitar gets drowned out and is almost indistinguishable from the drum set through the entire song. Bring it forward so it sounds like it's supporting the singer.

-Do you have a bassist? It's muddy and gets lost with the guitar in with the drums. I sharper attack or using a pick would work. Can't tell if you use a DI or not, sounds like your mic'ing the bass cab though.

The drums sound really good probably due to the fact that you are used to hearing them from your point of view. If there is a way to play back the tracks of your drums and have the band play along with them with you standing in front of the lead singer, you'll kinda see what I'm talking about. Remember that you are mixing for the person that is not in your band, but is standing in the audience probably a good 10ft(3m) away. It's a different perspective.

This has potential, and I like the breaks. The song itself is a good one. Take comfort in the fact that your band can keep a good beat and maintain rythym. Hopefully more experienced people will reply also to provide you with exact adjustments that you can make. Sounds good for a garage mix, keep up the recording.

Dick

Thanks
    This isn't bad at all. As you say its only a rough mix some of my comments might not be relevent. The drums do sound good and you play them well. The bass is muddy I cant hear whats happening. I would'nt say the guitar was too quiet but a little more contrast would be good maybe using an acoustic is parts. The vocals are too loud and don't sit in the track. I'm not a big listener to this king of rock based material, one thing I do notice in commercial recording however is the current trend to compress the hell out of everything. This tecnique seems to work for guitar based stuff and would help you sit the vocals into the track more easily.

Thanks
    Not a bad recording, it just needs some mix tweeks. Evildick has some good points. What did you track this on?

Thanks
    Thanks a lot. I used an MXR D.I. pedal on the bass and it sounds really good alone, but how do I make it not sound so muddy? It was all recorded onto an Akai DPS16.. Using acoustic guitar mixed together with the electric sounds rad.. I'll do it on the next recording, this one is just for sending to sponsors. Is there any other way to make the guitars sound better (including bass!) AND... I realized I fucked up on the pitch correcting on the vocals I otta fix that. Thanks guys, I'll post it back with the changes..?

TYLER

Thanks
    hey, it kicks butt on sony mdr7506 headphones!! Alot of bass happining though... maybe roll off some of the low end....whatever.

Thanks

bass

Hey Tyler,
    I think that the bass may sound muddy because of old, dirty strings on the bass guitar. Maybe if new ones were put on it would sound much brighter and punchier. Also with a rickenbacker bass guitar its not supposed to sound too bassy, it may need a treble boost.

-Greg

Thanks
    Nice start -- sounds a lot better than some of the crap I was recording when I was a teenager.

The main problem with your mp3 is the levels are set WAY too low. Just playing the file in something like WinAmp you can see the the levels barely get into the yellow. That means that you're wasting a huge amount of spectrum -- and it's one of the reasons the instruments are all smashed together. I'm not sure if it's a function of your recording or your mp3 converter, but look into it. If you can boost up the levels you'll be able to pack a lot more sound in.

What did you record this with? It's really quite a nice start.

Thread Information