Rock Pop Emo song

Strave

This is a band I am working for called the fire restart. Tell me what about the engineering needs work (the playing and song writing isn't my business at this point).

Song here

Thanks a lot.

everything is clear. the only thing i can really say could use some work is the snare, but that's just me nitpicking. i don't really know how to describe the snare sound. sounds kind of triggered same with the kick, but the kick works for this music/song. the snare sound just isn't working for me.

good mix. sounds exactly like this stuff normally sounds. good job.

God. This is generic. Ha.

The snare sounds REALLY snappy. I'm not too much of a fan of it. I'm really tired or something, everything is sounding weird to me. The OHs seem a little too far panned. I think I heard a few weird noises from the Autotune.

Is the snare triggered?

yeah, it's a bad song but it's not a bad recording. I'd definitely fix the snare and the cymbals (they sound too tinny)

i just concentrated on the snare comments, so i'd just like to suggest another snare sound.. like a 'the used' snare. or those bands' snare. a sum 41 snare or thrice. u know..

thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do. I could always just use their real snare sound I suppose.

Sounds like a cookie-cutter screamo band. I don't really care for the drums. The vocals are impressive. Good job on the recording.

Oh yeah and the guitar slides right after the lo-fi drum loop sounds funny. Like a car peeling out or something.

Sounds excellent except for the nitpick drum stuff everyone's been saying. What are the vocal and guitar chains you're using, if you don't mind me asking. The vocals especially sound really nice, what kind of compression?

I saw in another thread that you use a Presonus Firepod? That's what I have also.....are you using the stock converters? If you can get as clear a sound as that out of the stock converters I probably won't think about upgrading my converters just yet.

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
Sounds excellent except for the nitpick drum stuff everyone's been saying. What are the vocal and guitar chains you're using, if you don't mind me asking. The vocals especially sound really nice, what kind of compression?

I saw in another thread that you use a Presonus Firepod? That's what I have also.....are you using the stock converters? If you can get as clear a sound as that out of the stock converters I probably won't think about upgrading my converters just yet.

Hey I'm glad you like the mix. For guitars it was basically a sansamp classic rackmount directly into the firepod (you can get some really really nice analog distortion sounds out of this thing). Bass was DI through the brick. Vocals were a behringer B1 into the brick into the firepod with a grip of plug ins.

1.Heavy autotuning was needed.
2. Sonitus EQ
3. Sonitus Compression
4. Lexicon reverb
5. A bit of some kind of thickening delay

there might be some other things (maybe some chorus), I can't remember right now.

But yeah man, I think the firepod converters do very well. If you have any other questions let me know.

DIRECT GUITARS?

They don't sound bad at all.

I can hear the autotune like crazy. Ha. It wasn't usuable without it? I usually go really light with autotune. I don't like that sound.

I really need to start fooling around with one of those fancy thickening delay thingies.

yeah that sansamp is an impressive piece. Anyways, there was no way to escape autotune with this. Just one of those situations. :P

Dang that sounds very nice, never would have expected a B1 as the mic. You are talented. What kind of preamp?

What kind of compression and reverb settings(really short?) do you typically use for vocals? It would be cool to have *just sort of a starting point* towards that type of sound since that's probably the sort of stuff I'll be recording in a few years, and from listening to this and other stuff from you, you seem to have the sound down really well. I keep hearing conflicting shit on "typical" settings with reverb and compression and I think it probably has to do with style preferences. It's hard for me to get reverbs that don't take away from the forward/compressed/punchy sound. I want it to sound aggressive and punchy, but still have some atmosphere without being too distant sounding.....like what you have :p

Well most people probably disagree with what I do. I use some pretty extreme compression... I mean I basically narrow the dynamic range of the vocals to like 3 - 6 dB if that but for this type of music I think that's becoming typical. For reverb I do the lexicon room setting only 4% into the mix so it's barely there. In my opinion you could get that sound with just equalization and compression. Eqing to the person's voice just clears everything up. Just as a final touch I do the delay thickening and chorus, though it doesn't make that much of a difference. If you're really interested in my settings I can take some screenshots and just send em over. IM me if you want me to.

BTW, it's the groove tubes brick on vocals.

I love how people like to throw in their comments about how "the song is generic" or "its a cookie-cutter screamo band" especially after he writes that he had nothing to do with the writing or performing of the song. Douche bags.

Anyway, I think it sounds great, with the exception of the snare. The cymbols are a bit tinny, but i think it goes alright with the song.

Good job mixing. Post some more.

Back