Robin Trower - I can't wait much longer

EL34

Clown car chauffeur
I have been in a Trower mood lately.

I broke out my Strat for this recording for more of a vintage sound than I usually use.
Here's one of my favorites from Robin's first album.
I still have to add some solo guitar on the fade out.

How's it sound so far?
My vocals sound like Joe Walsh to me in places.

-----------------------------------------------------
Ok, here's mix #2

Bass and drums are pumped up into power trio territory.
Added ending.
More verb on vocals.
A few fills here and there.

Mix 2

Last edited:
Really nice stuff. Used to listen to Trower back in the day, though I'm not familiar with this peice. Guess I came late to the party.

The guitar has some nice Trower tone to it. Fits in nice with the drums and bass. Can't say to much about the mix. Listening on some lousy speakers.

A little Joe Walsh. I can hear some Peter Frampton in the vocals too. Nice singing.

Are the drums deliberately panned to the right? I quite like the sound of it that way actually. Bass could be a bit more prominent perhaps (these Koss Porta Pro's headphones I'm using are a bit exaggerated in the bass and I'm not hearing much bass right now).

I love Robin Trower and would love to give this a listen....but I am at my son's for a another week and can't listen to any downloads on their work PC's...I am looking forward to hearing this.

Did you see his Soundclick page Doug?

True :)

Hello.

I really liked this one, and yes I am familiar with the original.

Although this one is really well played and put forth, there's ample room to pump up the bass, as it's a bit on the weak side. You have to remember what a huge part the bass played in the original Robin Trower lineup. This cut reminds me of a 3 legged stool with one leg shorter than the other 2!

I'd say this is a very respectable and authentic cover, but you need to push the bass till it hums and howls. Trowerlike guitar riffs are genius, but they need a solid bass to lie upon. That's just my 2¢, anyway! :eek: ;)

With that being said,... I could not do this song as well, so my hat's off to you! :eek: ;)

Very nicely done man...great tone. Vocals sound fine to me...not Trower, but fit well.
I hear what Dave is saying.....bring that bass up to fill some room. There seems to be plenty for it, so let it move the tune a bit.

Great playing man...this sounds really good. The tone is perfect for it....

Thanks all,
I agree, more bass.
I'll add the ending, pump the bass and re-post another mix.

Ok, here's mix #2

Bass and drums are pumped up into power trio territory.
Added ending.
More verb on vocals.
A few fills here and there.

Listened to the 2nd mix...way cool Trower tone...whatcha using as far as guitar/amp? Sounds great!!

Thanks guys and True. :)

Tone Chain = Strat - Tube pre amp - soundcard line in - Guitar rig effects such as chorus, tremolo, tube screamer

Mixcraft 3 recording/mixing program
Beatcraft drums
Ibanez bass = tube pre amp - sound card line in - and then into guitar rig

The crash cymbal sounds pretty loud to me now.

Wow...this was way back in March, when I was at my son's in Georgia. I missed it...the link is not good now...hey EL...got a link for me to listen...?:D

Holy shite True, you must have ESPN!!!!!

I was just now listening to our Colab of The thrill is Gone and was in the process of PM'ing you to say how much I love our colab.

Our Colab of the Thrill is Gone

I think you did an awesome job and many people have commented on how nice the tune came out.

The same with the Wicked Game colab with Cincy Kid.
Wicked Game Colab with Cincy

The links for these tunes and a bunch more are here.
http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/music1.htm

The link for that Trower tune is here.

You blew me away True, I was on line about to type you a message when I saw your message.

It's a small world. Today, Pete Thompson (Robin's drummer) paid our little studio a visit, and I think he's gonna be doing a few projects here. Really nice guy; we spent most of the afternoon sitting around bullshitting about Robin, Procal Harum, Uriah Heap, Buddy Moles, and a whole bunch of other people we knew. I had a ball. He loved our studio and we got along great. I think my sister in law took some pictures of us, which I'll try to post later.

Very cool Harvey.
Robin is in my top 5 guitarist as far as playing. His phrasing is off the scale!

Love to see the pics.

LOL!! Yah EL!! The way of wacky musicians!!!:D

I just listened to The Thrill Is Gone today myself!!

Thanks for the thumbs up and it was my pleasure to collaborate with you. You did a great job with the piece and Wicked as well...Between your playing and Cincy's crooning, that one gives me chills up my spine and flutters my heart!!!:cool:

Thanks for the links EL!!:)

Harvey...you lucky dog you...such talent to mingle with!!! Looking forward to the pics too!!:)

Yah...you do sound Joe Walshish EL!!:cool:

Love the guitar:cool:....how did you go about getting that tone EL...?

This is good stuff. Was the bass player the singer of the band...? I can't remember.

Bridge of sighs will always be my favorite I think...

I suck at vocals, re-do the tune and you sing it?

I used my Strat and played around with all kinds of stuff to get a more raw Strat like Trower tone. Mostly on the solo part.
It's not dead on Trower tone, it's dead on me doing Trower tone. :D

Jimmy Dewar was the original singer and IMO, there has never been a better rock singer voice.

Back