"Road To Tabriz"

GONZO-X

"Road To Tabriz"

preview of an upcoming all-instrumental album i'm considering releasing.
i've got 6 of these finished, about 4 more almost done.

this one is a rock instrumental, fast tempo with spacey breakdown, lots of strat tones, jamming bass line, harmony guitar parts, a bit progressive.

any mix suggestions as i get this thing dialed in?

Road To Tabriz by BatsBrew on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Some archeologist suggested that Garden of Eden must have been located in Tabriz, the history of civilization in the city has been dated to the first millennium B.C

nice ..... really nice. Who's doing drumbs?

I likes it ....... I only make mix comments if something sucks because I don't believe there's only one way to mix something.
Nothing sucks so no mix comments.

Dude ...... i like the hell out of it ......... it's conceivable I might download and keep this and I almost never do that ..... me likey!

You have some Zappa influences i'm gonna say.

Very nice man! Can really hear that "strat" character shining through like mad. I like the main lead - it sounded like you had your wah pedal on half way or something.

1) Were those human-played electric drums?

2) I might bring the lead guitar down a little bit. Even though it's instrumental and the lead should be the focus, I think imo that it might be overpowering some other things a little bit. Maybe it was the reverb level on it as well.

All in all, great job and spectacular playing and writing/composition!

Hey bob - is this your first listen to Gonzo? He routinely posts track after track of excellent stuff - stellar playing, recording, mixing, mastering, everything. Even though musically we inhabit different musical worlds - it's hard not to recognize his JAW dropping talent.

nice ..... really nice. Who's doing drumbs?

I likes it ....... I only make mix comments if something sucks because I don't believe there's only one way to mix something.
Nothing sucks so no mix comments.

Dude ...... i like the hell out of it ......... it's conceivable I might download and keep this and I almost never do that ..... me likey!

You have some Zappa influences i'm gonna say.

lt bob
thanks man!
i'm dong the drumbs!!
LOL
actually, i programmed the drums, using superior drums, but using the ezdrummer kit.....
sometimes, i actually prefer the 'lesser' kit, because to me, it almost has more impact than the 'superior' 24 bit capture of the new york 'Avatar' studios kit.

zappa, well, i've listened to a lot of zappa for sure, but i wouldn't cite him as a influence, per se.
maybe in terms of arrangments....
thanks again

recording master
appreciate the comments, glad you dig it.

the 'strat' tone, yes, i spent quite some time deciding exactly how to do my custom build, and what electronics to use, it turned out quite good.

drums are acoustic samples, programmed into superior drummer 2.0

lead guitar, well, that's a subjective call, for sure... there is no reverb on it, only some room mic.
then, at the very end, there are some long delays on one track of the call-and-response section, and a big reverb on the other.
the rest are bone dry.

thanks again for listening

zappa, well, i've listened to a lot of zappa for sure, but i wouldn't cite him as a influence, per se.
maybe in terms of arrangments....
thanks again

sometimes people outside see influences you don't ..... influences aren't always conscious things.

I'm absolutely hearing some Zappa in the arrangements ....... that's a good thing BTW.

nah ..... he's been around almost as long as I have.

We go back to the microphone wars!

yeah i kinda figured that - but then something in the phrasing of your post made me think otherwise. dunno. anyway - i always try and comment on his stuff cause it needs to get bumped - things go by so fast in here

sometimes people outside see influences you don't ..... influences aren't always conscious things.

I'm absolutely hearing some Zappa in the arrangements ....... that's a good thing BTW.
The "influence tree" runs deep. Sounds like this guy who was influenced by that guy who was influenced by....

Great tune. I hear a little Zappa, Stevie Ray, Satch and lots of Morse/Dregs. I think we're hearing Gonzo.

yeah i kinda figured that - but then something in the phrasing of your post made me think otherwise. dunno. anyway - i always try and comment on his stuff cause it needs to get bumped - things go by so fast in here
yeah .... gonzo's stuff deserves to be bumped .... always good.
I just particularly liked this.

lt bob
heheh, yeah, i guess i have been around a long time....
you've been here longer, but christ, think about hanging around this place for 12-13 years!!
LOL
wow
i still have my first song i recorded on my first digital machine, using nothing but a sm57!
i've re-mixed it, and it sounds every bit as fresh and professional as most anything else in that genre.....
microphone wars, i hear you.
i finally got me some decent mics, a ADK Hamburg, AT4033, and a Shure KSM44, which is my primary voice and acoustic guitar mic now.....

chuckduffy
i appreciate the bumps.
i really do.
it's hard to get very many folks to listen to my stuff, don't know why......
but i'm glad for any comments.

sky blue lou
appreciate the comments, and i'm glad you dig this one.
i've been playing for so long, i guess once i got to a certain ability level, i just started soaking in the 'vibe' of different players moreso than actually learning their chops.
i listened to a lot of zappa, a lot of SRV, a lot of satch, and a lot of the dregs (seen them live 7 times!)
but i've never sat down and learned a single lick from any of them.
i like the idea of 'sponging' riffs indirectly that way.
but i can't help but play them the way i do. it's too late to change!
LOL

chandlerhimself
thanks man....... that strat is such a superb build, and the electronics are really exceptionally designed.
i think, when you play a good strat like that, you just have to find the way to make the notes come out of it, and if you can do that, you can take advantage of what ever sonics the thing can create.

Back