RKBH - Lighter Sound

bigbubba

Hi all,

While I'm trying to work on the previous piece and reducing some bass stuff from it, I thought I'd post this new track.

It's simple. It's a Psalm and I've put basic music to it.

The beat was copied from the one of FLStudio 6 demo songs. I copied the hat pattern.

Supposed to have one drum, one bass, one organ, and one guitar sound even tho the guitars are doubled in a lot of places.

Any comments, ideas on the mix, arrangements, playing, composition of intervals, drums, bass, are welcome.

Thanks.

RKBH - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=419303&songID=5491747

The bass suits the drum sound but not so much the melody - it's a big fat dance bass. I can hear what you've done with it - really nice definition in the top of the bass & a big bottom - a little too big still.
Nice playing on top by the way.

The bass suits the drum sound but not so much the melody - it's a big fat dance bass. I can hear what you've done with it - really nice definition in the top of the bass & a big bottom - a little too big still.
Nice playing on top by the way.

Thanks for listening and commenting. :) I appreciate your input.

So you're saying the bass doesn't suit the melody or the melody doesn't suit drums?

Also you're recommending the bass to be lower or just the bottom end to be reduced a little or lot or something?

Or are you saying the bassline itself is not going along with the tune?

I like your melodic guitar style on this...pretty catchy....not a big fan of the electronic drum sound...this might sound cool with some more "acoustic" sounding percussion, I kinda get a "world music" kinda vibe from it or celtic jig type thing.

Cool playing on the guitar BigBubba. :D

The double guitars sound good - especially when harmonizing.... What are you using for the sustain on the guitar?

I like the organ you have running in the background, it fills it up nicely. It's cool how you bring it in and out for effect too.

No nits on the mix - pretty much how I like it....clear, clean, balanced and level...

Sorry BB,
Bass & drums synch well sonically but bass don't match the top lines so well. I'd cut some bottom from the bass & have it occupy some more middle ground.
Good stuff overall.

Good musical ideas in the gtr lines, and solid rhythm in the playing. I like the feel of the piece. The gtrs are playing flat some of the time. If your recording app lets you adjust pitch for individual segments (Reaper does) it'd be pretty easy to split the waveform and nudge the gtr lines intonation where needed.

The mechanical drums are not doing it for me. Sometimes you've got no choice and if you have to use them it's better imo to deploy the fills and cymbals extremely sparingly. The guitars sound good, particulary the doubled sections

I like your melodic guitar style on this...pretty catchy....not a big fan of the electronic drum sound...this might sound cool with some more "acoustic" sounding percussion, I kinda get a "world music" kinda vibe from it or celtic jig type thing.

variaxman - Thanks for listening. I was going for easy playing electronic drums kinda feel. It's a Urdu hymn (Psalm) so that's why you get the world music feel....

ido1957 - Thanks for listening. Just using the DigiTech for a guitar sound. The preset is already programmed that way. That gives the sustain. :D. as afraid people might not like the organ parts but I'm glad someone likes.

rayc - Maybe in places I overdid the backing bass.

Timothy Lawler - Thanks for listening. The musical ideas are not mine except for the dist. solos. The song is a preexisting song. :) I was sure I was hearing some flats and the feeling would go away. Good to know I'm not crazy. I don't have Reaper so I might have to isolate the parts I feel are flat and redo them. :) And I tuned the guitar right before recording. But the strings need replacing. :)

Bulls Hit - Thanks for listening. Well, you being a good quality dummer guy, will probably not like much of those.... unless you played electronic drums for a disco band. :D I just wanted to do one of those light on the drums kinda idea. Also the fills were a little hard to makeup after a while. :) So maybe I should lay off. :) I'll revisit and instead of adding, try to simplify/remove some fills.

Thanks again for your input. I also appreciate input that helps me realize whether the drums and the bass sound fake. :)

Back