The River Song

Mr Clean

AKA Teddy Wong
Here's another track from my friend Tim, that I'm currently recording with. I really like this song. I tracked him last night playing acoustic and singing live because it just wasn't working for him to play the song without singing. (It didn't have the same feel)

I added some picking, bass and cello today and just done a rough mix to have a listen. I want to keep it as simple as possible really as the song speaks for itself, in my opinion.

See what you lot think. All comment, abuse, etc, welcomed :thumbs up:

[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/The%20River%20Song.mp3[/MP3]

MP3 LINK

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Updated mix - Mar 16th

Panned guitars, added new Cello and Violin.

[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/The%20River%20Song%2016Mar.mp3[/MP3]

MP3 LINK

Last edited:
Some light percussion to push just a bit between the vocals (cello solo?) Maybe shaker or brushed snare or ?? Something to hold the interest a bit.
Vocal effect at the end sound overhyped and a bit pitchy.
Love the drop off of the instruments at the end one at a time till there's just the guitar and let's go down to the river...

The end vocal, call/response thing, wont be staying I don't think. It was just something I got him to sing over the top, while I had him here, (I only see him once a week) to try while it was in my brain but it doesn't quite work for me. I think I'll also change the ending to end on a note rather than a complete fade out.

We discussed Maracas, Tambourine, Bongos and other things last night when we were recording it. It's just finding the right thing to fit the part. I'll definitely be trying some things out to see what I can do.

Cheers for listening and the comments. Appreciated. :thumbs up:

EDIT* I changed the end vocal on the file so don't think Broken is going mad. :D

Pretty tune...but it sounds like you're either singing about dying...or maybe the end of the world....so I'm conflicted.

It gives a fairly "down the middle impression". I'd mix this narrowly...but not this narrowly. A little more space would improve it ...imo.

It would be nice to hear the bass more clearly. Same with the string part - it's sort of vaguely in the background, but doesn't have enough separation to add its sound. It might be useful to put the mute button to work on segments of the cello part so that it comes in only sometimes. More effective.

Nice tune.

Pretty tune...but it sounds like you're either singing about dying...or maybe the end of the world....so I'm conflicted.

It gives a fairly "down the middle impression". I'd mix this narrowly...but not this narrowly. A little more space would improve it ...imo.

I know the song was inspired by the death of his Father. That's about all I know of it.

I tend to mix more towards Mono as I only have one ear and can't hear Stereo. It's too hard to judge.

Cheers for the comments and listening though. :thumbs up:

It would be nice to hear the bass more clearly. Same with the string part - it's sort of vaguely in the background, but doesn't have enough separation to add its sound. It might be useful to put the mute button to work on segments of the cello part so that it comes in only sometimes. More effective.

Nice tune.

Cheers dobro.

I just noodled some ideas down and threw the mix together. I hope to get a proper Celloist to play on it when the time comes for it rather than keyboard/vsti played. I've been playing around with it more since this mix and it sounds different already, with the cello just coming in in parts. So I won't have the strings going throughout in the end.

I need to work on the bass. :thumbs up:

Very nice song, great unique voice. A little more space on the acoustics may sound a little better, right now sounds straight up the middle.

Very good actually. I hate to say this but things I like about Wings/McCartney are the things I like about this. I was looking for a melody that was somewhat original, this seems to flirt with originality a little more. Still a few chord progressions that are a little too tried and true for my tastes, but some that were different for sure

Nix the percussion but do lift the cello some more or find some of its grit.
Lovely stuff - sounds a little like stuff from You Am I's Hourly Daily album.

The 3 Score & Ten line bothers me for some reason I can't comprehend.

Very nice song, great unique voice. A little more space on the acoustics may sound a little better, right now sounds straight up the middle.

Thank you. Both acoustics were up the middle, this has been rectified in the latest mix.

Very good actually. I hate to say this but things I like about Wings/McCartney are the things I like about this. I was looking for a melody that was somewhat original, this seems to flirt with originality a little more. Still a few chord progressions that are a little too tried and true for my tastes, but some that were different for sure

Thank you. :thumbs up:

Nix the percussion but do lift the cello some more or find some of its grit.
Lovely stuff - sounds a little like stuff from You Am I's Hourly Daily album.

The 3 Score & Ten line bothers me for some reason I can't comprehend.

Cheers Ray. Never heard of You Am I but they sound like my kind of thing. I'll definitely be having a listen to more of them.

The "3 score years and 10", I believe, is a reference to the age either his Father or Mother died at. I'll ask him on Wednesday when I see him. When I first heard the song I wasn't sure about that line but after listening to the song a bunch of times, it grows on you.

:thumbs up:

Updated mix - Mar 16th

Panned guitars, added new Cello and Violin.

[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/The%20River%20Song%2016Mar.mp3[/MP3]

MP3 LINK

I went straight for the 03/16 mix as I missed the original one.

It's a pretty good, full sounding mix even in the absence of percussion. I kind of want to hear the guitars more, but the voice takes center stage here as it probably should in a tune like this. I like the reverb/room sound on his voice. Good job.

I would like some more background music but damn that voice carries it well. Agreed the reverb/effects on the vocals is sweet.
Great for a live take. Percussion would change this completely not sure if it needs it bit it would be cool to see what it does.

I went straight for the 03/16 mix as I missed the original one.

It's a pretty good, full sounding mix even in the absence of percussion. I kind of want to hear the guitars more, but the voice takes center stage here as it probably should in a tune like this. I like the reverb/room sound on his voice. Good job.

I would like some more background music but damn that voice carries it well. Agreed the reverb/effects on the vocals is sweet.
Great for a live take. Percussion would change this completely not sure if it needs it bit it would be cool to see what it does.

Cheers folks.

I am toying with the idea of some percussion but the song is so nice that I don't want to add too much to it and spoil it if you know what I mean. Trying to find that fine line between just right and too much.

I love the reverb. Sonitus Reverb from Cakewalk Sonar 6. Pretty much the only reverb I ever use. It's been with me a long time now and it's never failed me.

Sounds good as is. If you were to put any percussion, maybe a stick hit, tambourine, bongos, wire shuffle, but you're right, not a full kit.

Sounds good as is. If you were to put any percussion, maybe a stick hit, tambourine, bongos, wire shuffle, but you're right, not a full kit.

Cheers mate :thumbs up:

I've got the wife bringing me home some Claves from her School tonight. Gonna have a play with them.

Yes, new mix holds the interest through the non-vocal parts. Very nice. Good on ya!

Thank you kind Sir :thumbs up;

Cheers folks.

I am toying with the idea of some percussion but the song is so nice that I don't want to add too much to it and spoil it if you know what I mean. Trying to find that fine line between just right and too much.

I love the reverb. Sonitus Reverb from Cakewalk Sonar 6. Pretty much the only reverb I ever use. It's been with me a long time now and it's never failed me.

I think you're right to have this feeling. For me everything fits here. I thought a score was 10 years, I was kind of relieved to find out it was 20 years. 70 ain't bad, but come back to me when either of my parents die at that age. :(

This is nice Mr, it's your sound, and what I'm used to hearing from you. Love the guitars and and strings, it's very sweet melodically. I like the vocals on this one too. Is your friend from Derby too? His accent is pretty cool. I've lived here 10 years but can still only place cockney! I need to get out more. :)

I've never recorded myself singing and playing acoustic at the same time, but sometimes want to if only to save time. What was your mic set up?

Cheers Frits.

Tim, my friend, lives in Derby now and has done for the past 20 odd years but he's originally from Leicester. He moved to Derby in his early 30's after giving up the band thing and getting married and having kids. He does have a very unique voice. Great songwriter too, both past and presently.

Mic set up.

For vocal I used MXL990 Condenser >>> Studio Projects VTB1 Preamp and for the acoustic a Red5 RV6 Condenser >>> Alesis MicTube Solo Preamp, both run into an M-Audio 2496 Soundcard. All cheap shit. I also have a Reflection Filter on the Vocal mic, which I have modified slightly.

Overdubbed Picking was done through the MXL990 into the Alesis and the Bass is direct with Ampeg SVX Bass Rig VST.
The strings were done with Miroslav Philharmonik, Something I could play with for hours and hours.

Back