Rise Up - Original

Bruthish

Hair Metal Roxx!
Ok I lied....I thought I was done with hard rock for a bit but this one just came out. I bumped the kick up a little more than normal but it almost sounds too much for me. What do you think? Anything else sound really out of place?

Lights in the Sky
Visions Bring
Wandering eyes
Crashing down

Rise Up!
Before you die
Rise up!
Before you Fly
Rise Up!
Before I come to you
Rise Up!
And get my due

Ghosts in my mind
Sensations dead
Filtering Lies
Is this real?

Rise Up!
Before you die
Rise up!
Before you Fly
Rise Up!
Before I come to you
Rise Up!
And get my due

Last edited:
Could be an out-take from Black Sabbath's Sabotage. I like the guitar sound. I feel you are right about the kick. With it being so prominent it kind of makes the guitars and bass seem smaller. Drums overall could probably go down a tad. The whispery verse vocals sound good, but the chorus vocals need to be bigger, probably just need bringing up in level. Like it.

Just to add, as I wandered into the Kitchen to get some crisps (or chips as I believe you might call them) I found myself quietly singing the chorus. Always the sign of a good hook.

Could be an out-take from Black Sabbath's Sabotage. I like the guitar sound. I feel you are right about the kick. With it being so prominent it kind of makes the guitars and bass seem smaller. Drums overall could probably go down a tad. The whispery verse vocals sound good, but the chorus vocals need to be bigger, probably just need bringing up in level. Like it.

Thanks for the listen and the input! I think if I bring the drums down a couple/few dB it may let the kick sit in a little better so I may try that. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi! Im sorry - im not much help because I am just a newbie myself and not familiar with this genre of music either - but since I posted a track for comment, I thought I shouldn't take without giving, so I randomly picked on a track to add my comments - here they are: 1. I really like the change before the vocals come in and 2. you have a great voice (if that is you singing) - everything else sounds great to my untrained ears.

I might be inclined to take the bass up when you're looking into the drums. It's probably just a little buried where it is.

The verse vocals sound good. Good stacking. The gang chorus on "rise up" is coming through a little weak tho.

Hi! Im sorry - im not much help because I am just a newbie myself and not familiar with this genre of music either - but since I posted a track for comment, I thought I shouldn't take without giving, so I randomly picked on a track to add my comments - here they are: 1. I really like the change before the vocals come in and 2. you have a great voice (if that is you singing) - everything else sounds great to my untrained ears.

Thanks for listening and commenting! And thanks for the kind words...Although I am singing...I am not really a "a singer"....I just make due with what I have!

I might be inclined to take the bass up when you're looking into the drums. It's probably just a little buried where it is.

The verse vocals sound good. Good stacking. The gang chorus on "rise up" is coming through a little weak tho.

Yeah I have been wondering about that too. I will look into that more....I think I will try doubling the whole thing. It's three voices now. Maybe 6 or more would come through better. Thanks!

Hi Bruthish, somehow missed this song.

Really like those rhythm guitars, nice and mean. I would raise the bass up a bit as been said before. If you bring down the drums, don't drop it too much. Just a db or two will be more than enough, but the chorus lead vocal needs to come up a bit. After the awesome job during the verses i feel as if the chorus is buried a bit and doesn't hit me hard enough. I hope that makes sense. Subtle changes to everything mentioned as i DO think you already did a really good job.

That all being said, great song as always!!

Hi Bruthish, somehow missed this song.

Really like those rhythm guitars, nice and mean. I would raise the bass up a bit as been said before. If you bring down the drums, don't drop it too much. Just a db or two will be more than enough, but the chorus lead vocal needs to come up a bit. After the awesome job during the verses i feel as if the chorus is buried a bit and doesn't hit me hard enough. I hope that makes sense. Subtle changes to everything mentioned as i DO think you already did a really good job.

That all being said, great song as always!!

Thanks for the listen and comments! Yes, I am working on a fix for the chorus parts. I have listened to it so much that it seemed good to go. Also, working on bringing the drums down a notch and bass up some. Thanks so much!

This is a cool tune! I love the sound of the guitars in the verse - vocals sound great, too. And I really dig the interlude section. Nicely done!

Hey this is Sabbathy for sure...I wonder what a really HARD synth PATCH would sound like in parts of this tune with those great electrics. Of course you couldn't trample on your mix.

Or a couple counter melodies with really dark strings somewhere.

Track slams as is, so not necessary at all. And if it sweetens your song it is a non-starter.

Nice mix ...super solid

"Cry of the Young" VIDEO

Great guitars...one spot I was absolutely lost in amaze of notes floating around & weaving perfectly...Some pristine sonic moments on a raw track...Awesome

This is a really well written tune. Arrangement is everything to me and I think this is great. Keeps interest from start to finish. Really great sounding guitars. Vocals are really excellent too. I think you are selling yourself short if you think you're not a singer.

My only real constructive (and subjective) feedback involves the drum mixing and arrangement. The open hats seem very prominent and up front whereas other parts of the kit are sitting back. Maybe they would benefit from a simple volume drop and that would help them sit more in line with the mix overall? Right now, they absolutely demand focus and I'm sure you want the listener drawn to other aspects of the song (like the cool guitars and gritty vocals). I'm also feeling like the tom groove is a little too 'static' or 'steady'? If they were a little sparser and/or had a bit more of a groove that was not on the 8th notes, I think they would support the arrangement and production on another level.

Very subjective as you can see. If you don't agree, I could certainly dig that.

After listening, I had to take a bit of time and leave some thoughts. This sounds really cool man. Glad to have had the pleasure of a listen.

PS - Why would you want to be done with hard rock? Seems to me like it's in you. Just let whatever is real and honest out and people will respond to it.

This is a cool tune! I love the sound of the guitars in the verse - vocals sound great, too. And I really dig the interlude section. Nicely done!

Thanks Beagle! Everything seemed to mesh together well when coming up with parts for this song!

Hey this is Sabbathy for sure...I wonder what a really HARD synth PATCH would sound like in parts of this tune with those great electrics. Of course you couldn't trample on your mix.

Or a couple counter melodies with really dark strings somewhere.

Track slams as is, so not necessary at all. And if it sweetens your song it is a non-starter.

Nice mix ...super solid

You know, I have been working with some cool synth patches with some of my older stuff that would really sound cool, would sound good I am sure during verses. Thanks for the listen and kind words!

This is a really well written tune. Arrangement is everything to me and I think this is great. Keeps interest from start to finish. Really great sounding guitars. Vocals are really excellent too. I think you are selling yourself short if you think you're not a singer.

My only real constructive (and subjective) feedback involves the drum mixing and arrangement. The open hats seem very prominent and up front whereas other parts of the kit are sitting back. Maybe they would benefit from a simple volume drop and that would help them sit more in line with the mix overall? Right now, they absolutely demand focus and I'm sure you want the listener drawn to other aspects of the song (like the cool guitars and gritty vocals). I'm also feeling like the tom groove is a little too 'static' or 'steady'? If they were a little sparser and/or had a bit more of a groove that was not on the 8th notes, I think they would support the arrangement and production on another level.

Very subjective as you can see. If you don't agree, I could certainly dig that.

After listening, I had to take a bit of time and leave some thoughts. This sounds really cool man. Glad to have had the pleasure of a listen.

PS - Why would you want to be done with hard rock? Seems to me like it's in you. Just let whatever is real and honest out and people will respond to it.

Yes you hit it. A couple things I am working on for a re-mix is the Hi-Hats and crashes. They just are not where I want them. Trying to route them a different way so they are not so obtrusive. As far as the toms, I tend to agree with you, but also maybe they are just a little too far out front. I can play around with them and see if anything else lends itself to sound good there. I have listened to it so many times, my brain may dislike anything else, LOL

Oh, and I am not getting away from Hard Rock. I just have a blues/rock project that I am working on and would like to finish up about 6-7 of those songs. Granted I always find myself wanting to work on this stuff and not the other haha. Thanks for the listen and kind words!

Excellent riff. I like that hihat on the intro and how it comes back in the chorus. The sparse hats over the busy riff works really well. Good job on vocals. Mix is well balanced on headphones. Chorus is real catchy too. Good jam

It's a really good song. Overall, I really like the mix as well....I really wish the guitars were a bit warmer though (especially when they come in in the beginning) But, maybe that's just a matter of personal opinion/taste...so, I could be totally wrong there!

Back