Rip it!

I tried to give a listen but the link just re-directed me to the Soundclick main page.

Wow... That was some very interesting piano playin'. Honestly, I don't know much about music theory, so I can't comment really on anything, other than the piano sounded good, and there were a lot of dissonant notes which spiced up the otherwise really melodious tune...

Gotta ask. Was that a Roland keyboard being played, by chance?

It was 'Grand Piano 1' , General MIDI, Roland XV 50/80 synth. Good ears!

As tracked with stock FX 'on'....just leveled up.

Glad you made it through without getting bored! That's important.

I thought it sounded pretty good. The only thing I noticed that I thought could be improved upon is there's a low end frequency that kind of booms every now and then. I'd guess it's in the 160-180hz range - but it's tough to tell for sure on headphones. Is it possible to enable downloads? Might be easier to pinpoint where I'm talking about.

Load away.

In my phones, the bottom is tight; in my monitors, I think I hear what you're talking about.

This is only a sketch of the work. It'll have an 'opus'...'conducted' free time...stating the later themes, and a whole lot of freaky progressions. And it'll include strings, horns, reeds...different textures as the song progresses.

I got a few hanging inner voices to connect up. Some of the chords are incomplete....leaving space for answering and counterpoint lines in the orchestra.

What I'm hoping to know is if it holds interest, parts of the progression that hit a listener as 'strange', length, parts repitition, anything that misleads the ear, or conflicts. And , of course, any way that I can improve the raw sound of the fake piano.

This started out as a James Taylor-ish acoustic song. But I hear it like John Williams. If I can get good sounds symphony out of my dino-synth, maybe I can get it hooked up for a TV show or something. Going with the muse...and da money. Arf!

But it's the first recording I've done in a few months.....and I felt compelled to throw something up, cuz I been ragging on everybody else.....:spank:

yeah I think what I'm hearing is in the 140 - 160hz range. Bit lower than I thought.

As far as holding listener interest... I think it does a fair job of it right now. But it's ~4:30 and it's only a piano, so it's a tall order. You might think about adding instruments (acoustic guitar maybe?) after the song establishes its mood. Just a thought.

Very nice playing. Although to my philistine ears, many of the dissonant chords sound like flubbed chords. For someone like me that looks for predictable resolution in music, all that weirdness is kind of off-putting. Maybe use that technique more sparingly? That's about all I can say about the song. I'd like to hear it on a real piano. This sounds a little too keyboardish.

What I'm hoping to know is if it holds interest, parts of the progression that hit a listener as 'strange', length, parts repitition, anything that misleads the ear, or conflicts. And , of course, any way that I can improve the raw sound of the fake piano.

Yeah... Great question. Interest? Yeah, but barely. Progression seems quite dissonant in parts, and if you're interesting in bubblegum pop-type music, this is gonna sound weird because of it. For me, it was just enough to keep me listening.

I liked the "bluesy" or "jazzy" type of notes which hit once or twice during the song. I'd like to have heard that a bit more throughout.

Improving fake piano? Hmm... That's tough. I'd like to know that as well.

Jeff,

Oh how I wish I could play piano like you. This could be the backbone of a really good song. The only thing I notice is the piano sounds good in the lower and mid range. The higher notes sound kind of "tinky" for lack of a better word. Almost like they are played on a plastic toy piano. If there's some way you could get that sounding like the rest of the piano, I think it would improve the piece a ton.

Good luck with this one.

GZ

So this is all programmed midi, or did you actually play it?

I heard a lot of clicking noises throughout, like a fingernail or somesuch hitting the keys. *Edit* Never mind. That was one of my co-workers' keyboards, not the song.

It's decent. I'd like to hear what it sounds like with the other instrumentation. Generally, I don't have the patience for just a piano solo. :D

Last edited:
Been trying other piano sounds. I don't have access to a real piano. Got one I think works better...and I'm cleaning it up....some of that harmonic confusion....leading better, or saving the tensions for strings or somtehing.
TX for listening, and the nits.

Sounds good Jeff,

the opening (3) chords lead me right to "yellow brick road". As someone else asked, is this all programed midi or are you playing it on the keyboard? either way i think it's a great foundation for a really good song.

Sounds good Jeff,

the opening (3) chords lead me right to "yellow brick road". As someone else asked, is this all programed midi or are you playing it on the keyboard? either way i think it's a great foundation for a really good song.

Playing it into midi data from actual keyboard piano playing...to keep it organic....a measure, or a few, at a time....to a metronome. Then I clean stuff up in piano roll. I play piano like a guitar player.

HA! Yellow Brick Road...Elton. You're right! That'll be tossed!

Back