Revolution Blues Ready 2 Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayc

retroreprobate
Hi All,
I've managed, with my new soundcard (inca88), to record the original 4 tracks from tape without having to do a sub mix.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=469622
This is a DRY MONO presentation so that you can comment on how I might employ:
a) panning
b) levels &
c) effects/EQ
The track break down is:
1. BASIC DRUMS mono with some compression
2. Elec. GUITAR w/some compression to bring up the harmonics
3. BASS w/a little comp. to even it out.
4. VOX & SAX (liveroom verb only)
5. CELLO 1
6. CELLO 2
7. TAMBOURINE
8. CRASH CYMBAL
9. RIDE CYMBAL
I look forward to your ideas & will attempt a mix based on them in the next week or so. PLease excuse me if I bump this up occasionally as I'd like a few comments before proceeding.
Cheers
rayC

Last edited:
rayc said:
Hi All,
I've managed, with my new soundcard (inca88), to record the original 4 tracks from tape without having to do a sub mix.
a) panning
b) levels &
c) effects/EQ
The track break down is:
5. CELLO 1
6. CELLO 2
7. TAMBOURINE
8. CRASH CYMBAL
9. RIDE CYMBAL
I look forward to your ideas & will attempt a mix based on them in the next week or so. PLease excuse me if I bump this up occasionally as I'd like a few comments before proceeding.
Cheers
rayC

Hey rayC,

I listened on some crappy pc speakers at work so my input will be limited for now!
I could hear all the instruments and tracks rather clearly, some panning is obviously in order but I am not in a position to give ideas on that at this stage!
On the subject of eq and tracks recorded the only track that stood out to me was the solo, it seemed too boomy and wasn't sitting in the tune somehow, maybe to much reverb (room)??????

I will try and have another listen at home on my system!
The listen I had on these crappy pc speakers gave me a general impression of your tracks being captured rather well with clarity!

Gorty :)

P.S.....Sorry my review was so vague! :o

rayc said:
Hi All,
a) panning
b) levels &
c) effects/EQ
The track break down is:
5. CELLO 1
6. CELLO 2
7. TAMBOURINE
8. CRASH CYMBAL
9. RIDE CYMBAL
Cheers
rayC

Just a few thoughts on mixing...using my limited experience...

Levels seem pretty good now, maybe try to bring up the drums and percussion a touch.

The sax solo has a bunch of reverb on it, maybe try adding a bit of overall mix reverb (except sax) to try and get the roominess equal. You'd have to watch you didn't wash the whole mix out though...

The cellos seem to be panned left and right now and sound pretty good. Not sure, maybe try to compress them so they are even backing up the solo. Cellos are so dynamic it's a bit of work to compress I would think.

Maybe stereo chorus the guitar so it's panned left and right.

Vocals and bass centered as well.

Pan the percussion left and right slightly to give the image of a drum set. If you can pan the basic drums (toms) the same way image-wise with snare very slightly panned right and kick in center.

Sounds pretty good already even in mono....just some panning and maybe some reverb. :D

Thanks Ido & Gorty,
I had a close listen to the source material & there's some noise behind the vocals & sax that I can only put down to the room. I've played around with EQ & found I can eliminate a lot of it with a cut that seems to tame the boominess.
Thanks for the recommendations thus far. I'll begin applying them next weekend (HOLIDAYS) & inform you when I post updates on soundclick.
Good ideas so far THANKS.
Cheers
rayC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back