Review Please - First MP3 Upload

DigitalDon

Here's the link http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3928&alid=-1 Some friends of mine I recently recorded and they're really good. I have a dial-up connection so I used the lo-fi stream and Real Media Player. The overall level seemed to jump around some. Encoding was at 44.1 and 128bits in Cakewalk PA 9.0 for the MP3. I'm new to MP3 encoding so any advice would be appreciated.

Gotta go. They're playing at the Clear Channel/Hooters "Native Noise" local bands concert in Albany, Ga in about 2 hours.

Thanks,
DD

I have to say that it was very refreshing. I don't genererally or actively listen to music of this ilk. It's usually overproduced, too many effects. This was nice, dry and natural sounding which helped it come across as being honest/earnest. It seems that you kept the production clean and simple with a good balance of instruments. I'd keep going in this direction. A lot of folks prefer big bombastic overblown production. But it sounds to me like you stayed within your comfortable skill level and utilized it well. I personally prefer that to a bunch of bells and whistles and "perfect" sound. Good Job.

Thanks for the input. My goal was to keep it as clean as possible. I used a bare minimum of EQ and no FX. Even the scream/growl portion was done in a large room to get natural reverb. I didn't add any compression to the final stereo mix because I wanted to maintain the dynamics. Can't stand a squashed mix. I would have liked a better sound from the toms but I'm working on that. Haven't quite figured out yet how to get that "doooommpp" sound from the toms. This song will be played on our local radio station in the next couple of weeks so I'm interested in seeing how well it translates on air.

Thanks,
DD

Just so everyone knows, you can listen to it (stream) in lo-fi or hi-fi without signing up as a member. If you want to download the song you have to sign up as a member. It's free and you won't get put onto a mass email (spam) list. 29 listens so far. More opinions??

DD

Back