Review our song!

dominofresh

Hey - I'm JR from DOMINOfresh. We're a pop-rock band with piano based songs and what not. Anyway, we decided to do our first demo recording ourselves. We used a Tascam USB-122, and Sonic Foundry Acid software. The drums were done on a keyboard, and that's the only thing we don't really like about the recording. Let me know what you guys think of not only the recording, but of the song! Thanks!

i like the sound of this, sounds good to me, although I'm probably not yer best critic. But as far as the actual song goes, I like it. I like the breakdown at the end as well with the piano. Nice :) Voices sound good too with the harmony.

Thanks man. We're constantly working on recording new stuff, so if you're interested add our site to your favorites and check it out. Any other comments?

dominofresh said:
Hey - I'm JR from DOMINOfresh. We're a pop-rock band with piano based songs and what not. Anyway, we decided to do our first demo recording ourselves. We used a Tascam USB-122, and Sonic Foundry Acid software. The drums were done on a keyboard, and that's the only thing we don't really like about the recording. Let me know what you guys think of not only the recording, but of the song! Thanks!

Hey ... interesting track! I think that is was well put together.
My only suggestions are to turn down the background vocals a little bit and add a very short (10ms) delay to them so that they are still heard clearly. Also, you should probably compress all of your vocals to give them more of a "presence".

Anyway ... that my .02 ...... good job!

Thanks - like I said we're still new to the whole recording thing. Hopefully we'll keep getting better as we learn more stuff. Thanks for your suggestions and I'm glad you enjoyed the track!

dominofresh-

I gave it a listen. My comments:

The piano melody in the end (the one by itself) is really great! It's a shame that it doesn't appear again in any other part of the song. I think it's the best part. The drums sounded a little off beat (I realize that's hard on a keyboard). I think you should just sequence them (if you have the capability). I also don't like the bass drum sound too much, it doesn't sound full enough (like all of the sound is in a very small frequency range.) W-I-Z is right: compress the vocals more (or at all). It wil make the singing sound much more professional. The distorted electric guitar (the one playing chords) sounded a bit out of place. I think it needs to be more dimensional, maybe double it... or even better: do the old stereo trick. Mic the amp with 2 different mics (unless you're amps are modeled in a program, then use two different amp models) and pan the two tracks full left and full right. Delay them by about 10 ms. I like how the voices work together in the song. The strings in the end are really cool, but a little too loud. Hope my comments help!

I listened to your song

dominofresh -

I agree with noground. The solo piano melody is the most interesting part of the song and it is a shame that it doesn't repeat. As this recording stands as it is, the solo piano melody is the catchy-est section. The vocals could be as catchy or 'poppy' if more compression was used and this would make the song more appealing overall. Hope this is of some value.

LOL..... sounds like a cheech and chong song without the accent.

Guitar solo sounded like .... oh never mind.

You pretty well got that piano riff figured out. Seriously, you gotta admit that the chord progression is pretty simple and repetitive. Not that simple and repetitive is always bad... but you didn't really take it anywhere musically. And really you relied on dialogue vocals between singers to add any variety to the thing. Which is okay if that's what you want to do musically.

The piano solo toward the end was the shinning 10 seconds.

The drums were.... well see guitar above.

I listened to it 3 times. It's not gonna grow on you. More like after the first time there isn't much substance to it, because it's only substance is its "mystery"..... which really isn't that deep anyway.

Back