Rev Blues Mono Premix

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayc

retroreprobate
Hello out there folks,
Sorry if I caused consternation with the closure of the last Rev Blues related thread. Soundclick were having problems with the streaming conversion of my MP3.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=469622
will take you to an unmixed and basically uneffected version of the song.
Please comment on any and all aspects that YOU feel need tweaking - panning, levels, EQ, playing, instrumentation etc. All suggestions are welcome.
I know the bass is too loud - it seems to have been a result of the MP3 compression proccess - as I checked it carefully before uploading - but hey that's not much of a problem.
The tracking is
1. BASIC DRUMS mono with some compression
2. Elec. GUITAR w/some compression to bring up the harmonics
3. BASS w/a little comp. to even it out.
4. VOX & SAX (liveroom verb only)
5. TAMBOURINE
6. CRASH CYMBAL
7. RIDE CYMBAL
8. CELLO 1 lightly EQ to take off some of the top. A string chugging
9. CELLO 2 G string chugging
10. CELLO 3 matching bass line
11. CELLO 4 matching bass line
Cheers
rayC

Last edited:
rayc said:
Hello out there folks,
Sorry if I caused consternation with the closure of the last Rev Blues related thread. Soundclick were having problems with the streaming conversion of my MP3.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=469622
will take you to an unmixed and basically uneffected version of the song.
Please comment on any and all aspects that YOU feel need tweaking - panning, levels, EQ, playing, instrumentation etc. All suggestions are welcome.
I know the bass is too loud - it seems to have been a result of the MP3 compression proccess - as I checked it carefully before uploading - but hey that's not much of a problem.
The tracking is
1. BASIC DRUMS mono with some compression
2. Elec. GUITAR w/some compression to bring up the harmonics
3. BASS w/a little comp. to even it out.
4. VOX & SAX (liveroom verb only)
5. TAMBOURINE
6. CRASH CYMBAL
7. RIDE CYMBAL
8. CELLO 1 lightly EQ to take off some of the top. A string chugging
9. CELLO 2 G string chugging
10. CELLO 3 matching bass line
11. CELLO 4 matching bass line
Cheers
rayC

Hey rayC,

I'm listening on a pc and I can hear everything quite clearly!
I like the chord changes you have used in this tune and I am trying so hard to recall who this tune reminds me of, albeit keeping the originality of rayC.

I am thinking perhaps the talking style singing reminds me of Dire Straits!......I enjoyed this tune rayC. The speakers I am listening on makes it a hard call to make any judgement on the mix, like I said earlier nothing stands out too much that requires major tweaking from this end!

Thanx for sharing rayC. :)

Gorty

I love that guitar line for the verses. Also like the guitar sound alot. Vocals im having a bit of a hard time hearing at times. What im getting is for like the "revolution blues" line seems like the guitar takes over a bit. Killer sax playing. Every instrument seems real clear and easy to hear so i don't really have anything to really help with just wanted to say i really liked the song. Sounding good to me man.

take care
gary

Cool tune man...I dig the bass sound. It's a very good tone, and seems to drive the tune pretty well. I got no real comments, as for a stripped down version, it's very clean. Sounds are good man...and fun tune. Dire Straits meets....???? :confused: :D

Hey RayC - As you know this has always been one of my favorites of yours. Great lyrics, music, and performance. I would maybe compress or fader-ride the vocals as they are low in a few spots. I kinda like the drier sound on this mix. The only enhancement I would do is maybe try to pan the guitar somehow. My suggestion would be maybe try a stereo chorus or echo effect. There's been some other doubling/delaying tricks posted here that could work too. The cellos sound nice in this version too... Looking forward to other suggestions here and the final remix..... :D :D :D

Gorty, gbav, Dogman & ido1957,
ta for the responses. Very kind of you.
Thus far I need to:
*Ride the fader & lift the vocals at appropriate times - "Vocals im having a bit of a hard time hearing at times"
*Give the guitar something to spread it across the image - "pan the guitar - a stereo chorus or echo"
& obvioulsy some general ppanning - any recco's other than the chorused gtr?
Cheers
rayC

Love the guitar tone/crunch driving this tune.
Cool bass part. On my system I think it actually sounds cool sticking out a bit on parts.
Vox sound like they could a be little clearer, maybe EQ them away from the other instruments more or just raise the volume a bit.
Really don't have anything else to add, sounds great to me. Fun song :D

Thanx SnakeDog5050,
The guitar sound is a Bruno Royal Artist (bridge pickup) played through an Ibanez Renometer with both the boost & high boost on into a Superbass 100 head & Etone box. It's pretty crunchy eh? The distortion is just cranking all three devices up.
More work on seating the vox is required obvioulsy.
Cheers & thanks
rayC

I remember this! I like this one :cool:

Overall, its a lil "trebly". The vox of course is like that on purpose, but it might be cool if everything else had a fuller sound except for the vox.

Oh yeah, I remember the cello and sax were in the stairwell or something. They still sound a lil disjointed from the rest.

Reminds me Of One night in Bangkok, very good song.

Hey man, I didn't see this before whenever you posted. So first time hearing this.

This is definitely a little Dire Straits. Kind of reminds me of the song Telegraph where he's just telling a story. But in general the style is also somewhat similar. Which is a good thing. But you also have your own style.

On my home theater system, it sounds just the right amount of bass and treble which means in the car and on other systems it might sound a little thin. So I would suggest adding something to remedy that. Of course, I'd personally just go after the bass and the gits but the thing is this is not my main genre so I would probably just ruin the song with that. :)

Good clarity. Bass line is swinging in places. Pretty cool. Pretty neat guitar playing.

I'm assuming the chorus goes from 1:08 - 1:24 and the same structure when it repeats. I'd just request to add maybe doubled vox to fatten it a little. Also it would give this a quick break so it's easy to differentiate the chorus and so you get a little sonic break. :)

Really dig the sound in the song. Very enjoyable listen. I'd listen again.

No offense intended by my opinions. They're just opinions so please take them as such.

Oh yeah, b*tchin' solo. :D

This is a cool tune, very cool. And the mix is fine to me. I hear everything. I'd like to hear a bit more drums, but I always do, so that might not be helpful. Great job........and lots of words! Nice arrangement and vocal delivery.

Step one implementing suggestions up to snakedog.
I'll attempt the other suggestions this week sometime.
ido - I couldn't get a stereo chorus thing happening with the guitar without causing some probs with the rhythm - the plug in I attempted to use caused the delay to overlap a little & chaos resulted. I'll try again though.

This link should go straight to the track with any luck.: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3398745&q=hi

Thanks RAMI it works - I've learnt another thing - the day is a good one now.
Cheers
rayC

Oh,
thanks heaps for the ideas - keep 'em coming. I'm happy to mix by committee.
ray

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back