"Respectable" - A not very respectable Rolling Stones cover...

queepy

aka Variaxman
Was inspired to give this one a try after watching the "Some Girls" concert film thats been showing on Palladia the last few weeks. Always loved the way The Stones integrated 2 guitars into the rthym of there songs.....
I tried to stay a little "truer" to the original then I usually do,I think my bass line maybe a little to busy, and the vocals...well, if you have lstened to my stuff you know what to expect ...

Here is a streaming link, all feedback much appreciated! thanks!:
MP3 Player SoundClick

I actually don't know this tune, and I though most all stones tunes were so ubiquitous.

I'm having to listen on phones now, so no real mix comments here. I guess I thought some of the tom fills were a little busy for this kind of number, but overall it sounded good to me.

Have you ever covered the sex pistols? It occurred to me while listening that you have a good vocal delivery for that sort of thing.

I actually don't know this tune, and I though most all stones tunes were so ubiquitous.

I'm having to listen on phones now, so no real mix comments here. I guess I thought some of the tom fills were a little busy for this kind of number, but overall it sounded good to me.

Have you ever covered the sex pistols? It occurred to me while listening that you have a good vocal delivery for that sort of thing.

Thank for listening Heatmiser, not gonna lie, I had to look the definition for ubiquitous
up :o......I had a pretty much straight beat all the way through this at first , but wanted to add a little flash to the drums. Watts is a pretty minimalistic drummer, watching him live, he really does create a strong pocket for the guitars to work off...I think I may reel the fills I created back in a little....Love the Sex Pistols, did a cover on here a few years back...cant remember which one...My band does "Pretty Vacant"

Last edited:
I've never heard the original of this either - bass and drums sound good and the guitar licks are very nice. I wondered whether the vocals could be a little more dry. The slapback delay works, but I'd turn it down a notch to give it all a little more presence. Good fun listen though.

Thank for listening Heatmiser, not gonna lie, I had to look the definition for ubiquitous
up :o......I had a pretty much straight beat all the way through this , as Watts is a pretty minimalistic drummer, watching him live, he really does create a strong pocket for the guitars to work off...I think I may reel the fills I created back in a little....Love the Sex Pistols, did a cover on hear a few years back...cant remeber which one...My band does "Pretty Vacant"

Didn't you do "No Feelings"? That's always been one of my favorite SP songs.

I don't know the song, but this is pretty cool. A very simple rock and roll song. Just the way I like them. I'm gonna have to find the original and see how those old bastards do it. This is a pretty good mix. I like how the guitars dominate without being a nazi about it. They're out there but everything else still works. The drums are okay. They could come up some. The fills and stuff don't bother me. Bass is cool. Vocals are typical queepy style and good. Good job overall.

I've never heard the original of this either - bass and drums sound good and the guitar licks are very nice. I wondered whether the vocals could be a little more dry. The slapback delay works, but I'd turn it down a notch to give it all a little more presence. Good fun listen though.

Thanks , I think the wet vocals may be due to my attempt at backups, I think I sing them to much like the lead vocal that gives them a "chorus/delay" type effect.....going to get rid of them and just stick with my lead vocal...thanks for the feedback!

Didn't you do "No Feelings"? That's always been one of my favorite SP songs.

I don't know the song, but this is pretty cool. A very simple rock and roll song. Just the way I like them. I'm gonna have to find the original and see how those old bastards do it. This is a pretty good mix. I like how the guitars dominate without being a nazi about it. They're out there but everything else still works. The drums are okay. They could come up some. The fills and stuff don't bother me. Bass is cool. Vocals are typical queepy style and good. Good job overall.

Your right...I did do "No Feelings" ...think I could do it better now that I have switched to Reaper, which I'm still getting the feel of but really like.This song is off the "Some Girls" album....kind of a deep cut, I like my Stones best when there somewhat punkish and basic rock and roll..rather then the older blues vibe....Used my Line6 Variax set to tele model for this thru my podhd500 bassman model setting for amp...I like that combo....bass was my rik thru podhd500 also set to bassman, heavily tweeked ....thanks for listening

Sounds real good to me mate. I love the Stones and I love the Some Girls album and this is a great song from it. I like a cover to have it's only little stamp on it rather than be a bland, exact copy.

Everything sounds nicely balanced to me mix wise. Guitars sound great! I'd personally drop the kick down a touch. It's a bit too prominent for my personal taste.

I really enjoyed it. Listened 3 or 4 times on 3 sets of speakers. It translates well on the all. :thumbs up:

Sounds real good to me mate. I love the Stones and I love the Some Girls album and this is a great song from it. I like a cover to have it's only little stamp on it rather than be a bland, exact copy.

Everything sounds nicely balanced to me mix wise. Guitars sound great! I'd personally drop the kick down a touch. It's a bit too prominent for my personal taste.

I really enjoyed it. Listened 3 or 4 times on 3 sets of speakers. It translates well on the all. :thumbs up:

Thanks MrClean! Had a lot of fun doing this!...I did try to reign the kick in a bit as I also thought it was a little much.....

One of my favorite tunes from my favorite Stones album. Sounds really cool. Might be a few weird timing issues between the vocals and the instruments? Nice feel to this other than that.

One of my favorite tunes from my favorite Stones album. Sounds really cool. Might be a few weird timing issues between the vocals and the instruments? Nice feel to this other than that.

Thanks a lot Rami, coming from a guy who does killer Stones covers (your "Monkey Man" is one of my all time favs on here) that makes me feel good....Im not sure about that timing issue...I hear it too, on the chorus's mostly, I think besides my lack of singing skill, it may be that I crank the music up real loud in my headphones, and keep my vocal level barley loud enough to hear, as I don't like the sound of my self singing , and this causes me to lose my cadence a little....

This sounds real vintage, Queep, I like it!
The voice sounds "roomy" distant, that adds to the flair of it.
Nice guitar work, too. Keep it rockin'!

This was my fav. track from what was, arguably, the last decent Stones LP.
Is you version a little faster?
The drums are busier but that's cool.
Is the song one of Keef's G open tunings?
I enjoyed the listen.

Would have liked it louder

I am new to recording. However, I have always thought that you just can't get lots of music on the internet loud. I don't have a dedicated sound card or anything. Maybe it is just me.

On the mix itself - again new and don't know the technical terms - the vocals are there but while the guitar may be notational good is too under.

The guitar should be louder and the singer has to work harder to get up and over the guitar. This is not a mix fix. It has to be done that way to begin with.

Wonka

This sounds real vintage, Queep, I like it!
The voice sounds "roomy" distant, that adds to the flair of it.
Nice guitar work, too. Keep it rockin'!

Thanks Joey, appreciate the listen!

Rayc:This was my fav. track from what was, arguably, the last decent Stones LP.
Is you version a little faster?
The drums are busier but that's cool.
Is the song one of Keef's G open tunings?
I enjoyed the listen.

Funny, showing my age, but I still consider"Some Girls" a "new" Stones album.....it was so diffrent then what came before and kind of a fresh upbeat feel after "black and blue" ( which I reall y like as well) Never dug too much that came out after Some Girls....not sure if Richards used open G on this tune or not, I was thinking about trying a track out with it.....Thanks for the listen bud!

Wonka:Would have liked it louder I am new to recording. However, I have always thought that you just can't get lots of music on the internet loud. I don't have a dedicated sound card or anything. Maybe it is just me.
On the mix itself - again new and don't know the technical terms - the vocals are there but while the guitar may be notational good is too under.

The guitar should be louder and the singer has to work harder to get up and over the guitar. This is not a mix fix. It has to be done that way to begin with.
Wonka

Wonka, I have been thinking the guitars during the verses needed to come up a little more as well...as far as the guitar has to be louder and the singer work harder to get up over the guitar, I try that at band practice all the time and usually get shut down:D....Thanks for listening and the feedback..appreciate it!

Back