[reposted] Sabbath cover tune

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
sorry..I'm too lazy to do another cover at this point, but I thought I'd repost this one I did of bsabbath's last summer. I did remix it and now the vocals are skewed over to the left, but at least they are louder!

what a difference

my version at my nowhere page at:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1322/album43

and sammy's original version at his nowhere site:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1379/singles

oh well...I wanted to do another one...but...aah...aa...aah
(I lost my homework, teacher...I think my dawg ate it)

oh SURE cover an easy one.....

lol....downloading.....very cool piano sound....

vocal man that sounds like it hurts that GRAVELLY sound...man how do you do that?!?!?!.....cool tho.:D...

drums sound great on this.!.
man you captured "angry" very well..nice work on that..

listening to sami's now.....man you did a great job of capturing all those elements in the intro ...thats alot to get through.....WOW..

very cool.

jamal

I remember this one well, since I tried playing a little solo on top of it.

You sound a bit like that "it's a wonderful world".. what was that guy? Good job. I don't think the song needs such angry vocals :D I did enjoy the "same fucking place" scream, though. I'm not too keen on the drumbeat either. I mean, the sounds are great, but this drumbeat makes the song sound too fast to me. I liked the laidback feel of the original more, but I guess I always like the original more. (and *I'm* the one making covers all the time :D damn) Not to say your version is bad. Maybe I have to get used to it. I feel a bit confused about myself on this one. On the other hand, I'd like it to sound more like the original, but then again, 100% faithful covers aren't that interesting to hear usually. All the little spices you put there in the background work well. It's just the vocal style and drums that don't sit that well here IMO, but I think have the original song is too strongly in my head...

Well that was interesting. From my short tenure here I would say you captured the B.Sabbath feel quite well. Mix sounded great to me.

Nice work

nice that I got 3 responses.
I guess if I did a new tune and not a remix, I might have gotten more. (4?... 5?)

Maybe I need to comment more on other peoples shit:rolleyes:

I have been slack in the last week or so... oh well... that's what I've been told.. "hey mix...your critiques aren't what they used to be". Damn right they're not.

I think I'll go hang out in the mic forum and cause some shit. W.I.S.C. likes me now, and DavidK hasn't chewed my ass out in a while...so this doesn't feel like the 'right' place for now!

btw...to be consistant with this post, I wiped this song off my hardrive and have no plans to change it. So ...comments are moot.

just wanted to vent. Now...everybody, go back home. Clear the area.

Sorry Mixy,I smoke too much Ganja to stay mad for more than......

...hey you gonna eat that?

mix, mix, mix... What are we going to do with you?! :D

Are you just looking to start a flame war? You know you've come to the right place... :D

o.k. I'll be serious now.. I remeber when you posted this the first time while my thread of the original was still active.. It was strange because the song was about a week old before it was covered, and there were 2 threads going about it.. Yours and mine... To be honest, I wasn't crazy about it at first because I was still settling in to my version.. It was still a baby when you defiled it.. :)

I have listened to it more and more and have grown to like most of it a lot.. especially the way the music sounds on the choruses, and that bit @1:40 with the drums.. and the break @2:10..

I still hear the timing problems, but it bothers me less now.. I think it's great that you sang it even more desperate sounding than I did.. The vocals are very much a preference thing..

If you could be objective and listen to this as someone who was not involved with it, what do you think you would say about the vocals when comparing it to the original? I bet you might have some negative things to say..

Truth be known, I like it much more than I did when I first spun it.. It's amazing that someone I never met is covering a tune I wrote while sitting on the toilet.. :D

thanks again for this..

After I post fenderlikingoods cover today, I will finish a cover of your 'don't follow.' I'll probably have that ready to post next weekend.. It's a tough one to have picked for me, but I 'modified' it!

Now get the hell back to starting trouble!!! Just pick a member and start a flame war!

You'll be glad you did! :D

Mixmkr,
I owe you an apology. It's disappointing to work your ass off on something, and then feel like nobody noticed. I remember replying to this when you first posted it. I thought it was a great cover. You took Sammy's idea one step (or more) darker. Didn't think that was possible! Nice stuff!

Twist

Interesting. I think you really caught the "Sabbath" vibe quite well. It has that darkness to it.

The singing on it is definitely a preference thing, but I thought it worked in this cover because it fit the mood of the music. My only complaint might be the drums...I liked the actual beats but the actual drum sound didn't do it for me, but again that is a preference thing. I don't know, maybe they need some reverb or something... but then what do I know ...

I love the intro and all the sounds you packed in there and this sounded like a big production, which I like! :)

Vocals are to damn angry:D , music and mix are there though as always from you. Damn good cover of a great artist man...B. SABBATH rules!

not bad mix.......not bad at all.............can't remember the original, but this sounds like something bsabbath would do, thus i'm sure it's fairly true to the original........

I haven't heard this since the original was posted, but I instantly remembered the tune as soon as it started. You captured the feel for sure and the mix sure sits well on my monitors.

I actually wondered what would happen if you went the other direction with the vocal, making it understated instead of over the top? Did you ever hear that song by Was Not Was, "Zaz Turned Blue?" Its Mel Torme singing this frightening song about a guy dying, but its done like cocktail jazz. Very effective.

Instrumentation, musicianship, A+. I'd like to see a different vocal approach--but thats probably just me--and you know by now how my personal tastes run--to trailer park land, LOL!:D

Sincerely,

Crawbilly

Lots of work in this man. You did a good job and I liket he sound. I admire your ability.. I wish I could play guitar, and sing too.

This is very good. Great mix, nice piano.

The vocals are not my cup of tea, but to each his own. I really like the piano.

The vocals are the only thing I would change.

Good choice of cover-Sami deserves to be covered-though not many have the chops to pull it off...I remember this song-very cool atmosphere-good piano and synth bed-interesting chord progression. You definetely did it justice..Now about them vocals...The way your singing them definetely captures the desperate feel of the lyrics-but most people (myself included)-don't catch the lyrics until theyve listened to a song a bunch-so in this case the vocal performance makes this a little harder to listen to, IMO. But kudos for an ambitious cover--I'm on my 6th listen-I think I'm going to go smash something to get back to normal :).....

I was wondering how many would have the balls to cover Sam:D

honestly this wasnt one of my favorite Sami tunes.....almost a little too "normal"....doesnt have the signature dynamic changes......

so, on to mixmkr....the performance and mix are great very top notch.....a very good cover......the only thing is the vocal doesnt seem like you are terribly comfortable with the style(who would be?)...it seems somewhat forced......

other than that, you have alot to be proud of.......

and you said the "F" word.....

MIKE

Back