Remixing some old gems

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I promised Col. Forbin (nevermind) that I'd have A CD together for his birthday with all the "newer" old stuff from our old band. (got it) So basically all the tracks we never really finished when we split for like that 8th time..

The first I tackled was "ebb tide"

the vocals are scratch, and they weren't all there. But thanks to the glory of digital editing (cut and paste operations are extremely easy and quick in Vegas I totally recreated so to speak our vocals in about an hour) Really I would like to retrack the vocals, but I seem to have objections to going back and reworking 2 year old material, cuz at that rate I'd redo the acoustic guitars, and most of the electric parts, and I'd get a real string quartet instead of have the colonel perform acts to an upright bass that weren't meant to be.. lol

So check it out. It could defintly use a little "mastering" to get the levels more even, I just haven't been able to do it without killing it.

www.nowhereradio.com/3ln/singles

OMG!!!!!!!

mAN, this just freakin KILL'S!!!!!!!! I don't have much to say???:confused: I mean i love this!! sorry i don't have any usefull comment's, but this will be on the playlist for some time to come!!!! and prolly CD. Great voice!!! DAMN

ok, i'm done now.

but seriously, damn!!!!

love it!!!

im done........

thank's man!

peace

Rick

That's some really nice stuff there. I would LOVE to hear this retracked. It's good even with out doing it, but...

Good stuff

hey james

thats cool having a upright bass in a tune like this.
what mic did you choose to record the bass? :)

sounds great nice work!

fender- glad you liked it. I'll be posting part 2 soon. This is part of a large piece, I'd put it all together but the download would be freaking HUGE.

Jag- I hear ya. If I could get that band together one more time... We started out in high school, basicaaly learned to play together. People chance. One day though.... one day. ;)

JMarcomb- That's an NT-1 on the upright. It was the only condensor I had at the time. I think it turned out really nice on the bowed parts. But not really the sound i was going for otherwise. Jordan (that's Col. Forbin) redid those takes so many times getting the intonation on the really high parts right. He was killing himself.. lol. I had him set up in a different room (really bad sounding room by the way, but it was heated, my big room was freezing!) He's in there just pounding away at those tracks, he says "I gotta take a break" So chris and I are just sitting in the control room and here comes Jordan out of the room with his shirt over his head and his pants around his ankles, all 10 inches of him swinging, :eek: with no expression on his face and just walked outside. Guess he needed to relieve some tention... funniest part was, nobody said anything about it till like a week later.

It's a cheap Kawai ? synth in there right after the "real" strings. I sen't that into an ART tube MP and then into my mesa boogie and miked it with a 57. We had jordan doubling that but it didn't work so well...

thanks for the responses.

Sounds like you got this pretty crisp.

Now get busy recording the new jams.

*No rest for the wicked*

I *love* ice bells and standup bass. Reminiscent of Astral Weeks, this one. Good work. It's structured really well.

Maybe bring the acoustic picking that leads into the vocal up a dB?

The level seems to really jump up when the drums kick in, and they sound more upfront than the singer. Maybe look at the relative level between vocal and drums? Cellos ditto. They're right upfront, but the singer sounds back there somewhere by comparison. How about: drums down 1.5 dB, cellos ditto, vocal up 1.5 - 2.0 and see what that sounds like?

Nice work. Good song.

nice voice. how'd you record that snare drum? the grace notes come through real nice.

i really like the upright bass. i always prefer upright bass.

sounds pretty awesome......

the bass is very nice.......i like the percusion stuff too

great instrumentation the whole way through......

Back