Thread: Remixed - Mary Jane's Last Dance Tom Petty cover

Thanks

Remixed - Mary Jane's Last Dance Tom Petty cover

Sign in to disable this ad
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5406949&q=hi

- Completely new guitar recordings
    - New drums, I tried micing a little different
    - Harmonica (nothin great, just makes the song complete)
    - Panned chorus
    - Fixed alot of tempo issues

I think the guitars are still crowding the high frequencies too much, but there's alot of them so I guess that'll happen.

Tell me what you think? Especialy in comparrison to the last one, if you listened

Thanks
    Wow - great groove to this song - you have the Petty/Dylan thing going really strong here.... I really like this version....

The guitars are a bit harsh. I'm thinking they might need to come down around 2-4 khz to take some of that bite off. The guitars on the chorus seems less harsh than the verse and leads though. The guitars will sit a bit better in the mix if you tame those highs a tad. Right now they sound a bit hot.

Drums sound okay from what I can hear but are over powered by the guitars.

Vocals seem to be eq'd right and are pretty clear.

I like the panning on the chorus.

What are you using for guitar/mic/amp?

Oh yeah I also really like the echo/verb on the vocals....

Thanks
    I tried bringing the highs down on all the guitars - - believe me I know exactly what you mean . . . I think it's just the distortion though. I think I'm gonna go in and re-record the guitar that's panned to the right... In the original there's the clean, crunchy one panned to the left; a slightly distorted panned to the right, and a normally distorted one left in the center for the solos. I messed up on the one in the right I think.

When listening to this more in my car and around I agree, I do want to bring the drums up some more.

Guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Jimmy Page wannabe lol)
    Amp is my friend's Line 6 combo. . . lots of punch and lots of diff. settings

So the equipment isn't too bad. . .

Then I've got two $20 AKG Dynamic mics, and a mixer w/ just 2 inputs. That's it. . Recording drums is impossible.

Thanks, I usualy get critisized about the reverb, but I just love the 60s/70s aura it gets. I sort of compare it to Television . . . all this new stuff in HD is so bright and vibrant, and that's cool. . . but I much preffer the old ESPN Classic stuff. . . If TV were music that is. . . If that makes any sense . Anyways, Classic Rock/Blues is what I like, so I think the reverb helps w/ that. I ususally fall into the trap of adding it to my drums, though, which need none cuz they're recorded w/ 2 overheads.

Thanks
    Can anyone else who listened to the old version tell me if I'm still doing any certain thing wrong ? Or what got better? Etc. Please?

Thanks
    I actually prefer the guitars on the first version. I think theres a bit of a fret buzz at the start. I personally would rather retrack the guitar.
    I think you have done a great job on the drums.
    As far as the vox goes i would spread them out more and add in a higher harmony, especially on that harmony on "oh my my, oh hell yes" phrase. Not too bad at all though, love the harmonica sound.
    "Sorry wont Suture My Colon"

Thanks
    Hey Zip!! Vocals are improved IMO, seem to flow better. And i think you have jsut the right amount of reveb on them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gummblefish
    Went out yesterday all day long and spent 125 quid on a bender (not literally a bender )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ziplock43

Guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Jimmy Page wannabe lol)
    Amp is my friend's Line 6 combo. . . lots of punch and lots of diff. settings

Listening to the guitar I would have been almost willing to bet it was a single coil. I'd go back to the line 6 and mess around with the settings some more, back off on the treble. Or maybe even borrow a practice solid state amp and put a distortion pedal in front of it - I'm not a huge line 6 fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gummblefish
    Went out yesterday all day long and spent 125 quid on a bender (not literally a bender )

Thread Information